Collectibles > The Clone Wars '08-'13

Clone Wars Figure Rumors/Speculation

<< < (108/108)

Pete_Fett:

--- Quote from: McMetal on August 26, 2012, 10:59 PM ---I do know I'd still rather have 5 POA in an animated style as a distinct line as opposed to folding them into the main line in a realistic style.

So why is Depriest doing all the debrief anyway? Wasn't he supposed to have been pulled off the line or something?

--- End quote ---

Well - clearly you didn't get the memo - didn't you know that the Clone Wars line is not for YOU? You're supposed to be collecting the realistic Clone Wars figures that Hasbro is putting out....

LOL...

And yeah - what happened to that Jeff Labowitz guy? I didn't read about his name being mentioned anywhere in the CVI coverage. Scapegoat for the recent problems with the line? I wouldn't mind if that ended up being the case, every time that guy opened his mouth, something stupid flew out.

Jesse James:
Darryl's still involved a good bit with all the licensed stuff and I'm pretty sure even moreso with Star Wars.

I can appreciate you wanting even a 5POA animated figure McMetal...  I just hope prices reflect the drop in quality for the sake of those collecting it.  $10 would sting for a statue.  At least there's hope that it's not being canned, for the animated fans.

I honestly figured it was on its way out...  I do think they're trying to wean collectors off animated though, and into realistic only, and using the animated line as something of a sales booster for the stuff the majority of the adult share wants to buy...  Which is good for the majority, but sucks for the adults into animated stuff.

And kids don't care I guess...  I disagree, I think it's a little bit of ignoring your own history as an organization, but I also think it's probably true for younger kids...  I think anything 5/6 and up though, and I'm sort of in disagreement on articulation being "frustrating".  I just figure it's easier than saying it's cheaper.

McMetal:
Yeah, I agree the price would have to come down if they start selling salt and pepper shaker figures again. The $10 price point would be a tough pill to swallow on top of everything else.

I just don't get the business model. I think they spend a lot of time futzing around with the different lines to prop each other up, and I think that logic is inherently flawed.

Hasbro came right out and said very clearly CLONE WARS OUTSELLS VINTAGE. So why are they trying to run TCW into the ground and dumping all of their tooling $$$ and the quality articulation and character selections into the WORSE-performing line?!?!

Instead of milking that cash cow they are trying to starve it so they can feed the one that ain't giving as much milk. Or something.

To paraphrase Nino Brown, "they running a strange program"...

P-Siddy:
Good point, McMetal.  I don't get many of the CW figures personally (I like the Bounty Hunters, but since they tend not to make many...)  but if that line's helping to support Vintage, a line that supposedly sucks for selling, then that's odd.  But, I think if Vintage (er, maybe I should say the "Adult line") went, there would be a lot people quitting the job (er, collecting).

Jesse James:

--- Quote ---Hasbro came right out and said very clearly CLONE WARS OUTSELLS VINTAGE. So why are they trying to run TCW into the ground and dumping all of their tooling $$$ and the quality articulation and character selections into the WORSE-performing line?!?!
--- End quote ---

I think this is where things become complex because it's an accounting decision which can get fairly abstract.

The simple explanation, to me, is that TCW outsells vintage...  whether articulation goes down or not.  Vintage maintains a pace, but if things decrease in that line in terms of quality, the backlash from its core target audience is greater than it is with TCW line.

IE: TCW line can take the decrease, thus saving money, the line will still perform to their expectations, and Vintage doesn't see any impact.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's also them looking at TCW as being a finite property while the "main realistic line" as it were is likely to go to the end of the license.  I feel almost sure that's also part of the equation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version