Author Topic: Lucas donates $175 million to USC  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
Lucas donates $175 million to USC
« on: September 20, 2006, 02:03 PM »
So George Lucas decides to donate $175 million to USC, which may seem very generous unless you consider that it came straight from our wallets!

It's kinda like  re-gifting, like if you get a gift card for Christmas and just pass it it on to someone else at no expense to yourself.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Lucas donates $175 million to USC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 02:35 PM »
So you're mad that he didn't just keep the money for himself?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Sort of like everytime I buy a computer with Microsoft Windows on it and Bill Gates gives medicine to 3rd-world kids?   ::)

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 02:42 PM »
It's his money to do with as he pleases, regardless of how he came about it (short of stealing it, obviously).
Common sense isn't so common

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44 PM »
So George Lucas decides to donate $175 million to USC, which may seem very generous unless you consider that it came straight from our wallets!

It's kinda like  re-gifting, like if you get a gift card for Christmas and just pass it it on to someone else at no expense to yourself.

For some reason, I am reminded of a Lewis Black monlogue:

"When from behind me, a woman of 25 uttered the dumbest thing I'd ever heard in my life ... She said, 'If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college.' I'll repeat that. I'll repeat that because that's the kind of sentence that when you hear it, your brain comes to a screeching halt. And the left hand side of the brain looks at the right hand side and goes, 'It's dark in here, and we may die.' She said, 'If it weren't for my horse...' as in, giddy up, giddy up, let's go - 'I wouldn't have spent that year in college,' a degree-granting institution. Don't! Don't think about that sentence for more than three minutes, or blood'll shoot out your nose. The American medical profession doesn't know why we get an aneurysm. It's when a blood vessel bursts in our head for no apparent reason. There's a reason. You're at the mall one day, and somebody over there says the dumbest thing you've ever heard and it goes in your ear. So you turn around to see if your friends heard it, cause if your friends heard it, and you can talk about what the jackass said, then it'll be gone. But your friends are over here, pretending they're gonna buy a cellular phone, and they're not gonna buy a cellular phone, because they don't even understand how the rate structure works. So you turn back, to find the person who said it, because if you can ask 'em a question like, 'WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKIN' ABOUT?!' then it'll go away. But they're gone. And now those words are in your head. And those words don't go away. Cause the way I see it, 7% of our brains functions all the time, because 99% of everything that happens is the same old stuff. We get it. All right. Move on. Get it. Right. But every so often, somethin' like that happens: 'If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.' So your brain goes, 'LET'S FIGURE IT OUT! Son of a bitch! I wonder what that's about!' I wonder, was she riding the horse to school? No, she wouldn't be riding the horse to school. Maybe it was a polo pony; she had a polo pony scholarship. Maybe she sold the horse and that's how she - she was betting on the horse! WHAT THE ****?!! And then you realize that anybody who went to college would never say anything that stupid in public. And as soon as you have that thought, your eyes close and the next morning they find you dead in your bathroom."
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:44 PM »

It's more of a communist-inspired income redistribution than a re-gift.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Nah, it's more like he paid $175 million because he really really wanted to have a building named after him.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 03:00 PM »

It's more of a communist-inspired income redistribution than a re-gift.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Not mad, I like SC. I feel that we fans who have contributed to his success, have in a way contributed to this donation. In fact a buddy of mine, a USC alum, e-mailed me to thank me.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:15 PM »
I'm guessing he donated the money to Southern California and not my native South Carolina?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Jesus, that's a sweet chunk of change!

$175,000,000

I'd be happy with $175,000.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:16 PM »

For some reason, I am reminded of a Lewis Black monlogue:

WHATSA  Monlogue?

Jim Ward

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:27 AM »
"When If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college.' brain comes to dark in here, and we may die.'

giddy up, giddy up, let's go - Don't! Don't think about that sentence for more than three minutes, or blood'll shoot out your nose. The Americfor no apparent reason. There's a reason. You're at the mall one day, and somebody over there says the dumbest thing you've ever heard and it gerson who said it, because if you can ask 'em a question like, But And now those words are in your head. And those words don't go away.

7% of our brains functions all the time, because 99% of everything All right. Move on. Get it. Right. But every  in college.' So your brain goes, 'LET'S FIGURE IT OUT! Son of a bitch! was she riding. Maybe it was a polo pony; she had a polo pony scholarship. Maybe she sold the horse and that's how she - she was betting on the horse! WHAT THE ****?!! And then you realize that anybody who went tuld never say anything soon as you have that thought, your eyes close and the next morning they find you dead in your bathroom."

Wow, I think the random cuts I did in that monologue help me make more sense out of the whole thing.

Do you think Lucas can get better Trojan football tickets now?

Offline mousedroid

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Not mine.  I steal all my Star Wars crap.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 01:29 AM »
Wow, that was nice of Lucas. :)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m