Author Topic: 30AC #01 Darth Vader with Coin Album  (Read 26181 times)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 #01 Darth Vader with Coin Album
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I finally saw these yesterday. I had the impression they would be a lot smaller and real flimsy. I passed it by at first, but decided grab one on the way home. It's fun to have somewhere to stick the coins... Wish it was half the price, though, and didn't come with a 2-year-old repack figure. Call me crazy, but I've never found older, inferior figures to be suitable to commemorate anniversaries. They could've at least stuck the more posable Evo one, that's in Order 66, in there.

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Just wait and let them sit. They will eventually get marked down. The local Walmart here marked theirs down to $6.65 after a week and a half. I originally wasn't going to buy the stupid thing because of the repack (crappy-ass) ROTS Vader, but I figured for $6.65, what the heck. I think it's worth it for the cool-ass mural on the coin holder (it's actually the only reason I wanted the coin holder).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 07:52 PM by Kill_Solo »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 2, 2007, 09:18 AM »
I got a chance to open this up this past weekend, and I really like the coin album.  It was actually spiffier than I had thought it would be.  Sure, the Vader isn't anything great, but the album itself looks pretty nice.  It doesn't make it any easier to miss any of the coins this year though, I will say that.  I feel "compelled" to complete the set now. ::)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 2, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Yes, that is another reason I have not picked it up yet.  I stared at it and held in my little hands over the weekend a couple times at different stores debating on getting it or not.  For I know if I buy it and open it then it will bug me like mad if I do not fill it and complete the entire set.  While I do want to get most of the figures this year I don't know about getting all of them.  Sigh  :-\

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #64 on: April 2, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Its actually quite nice, at least the vader comes with a coin. If you customize you can salvage his soft goods, saber and glove and sell the head and leftovers in a parts auction. The art work of it is impressive and really compliments the collectibility of the coins. with basic figures at $7 this is a steal.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #65 on: April 2, 2007, 02:55 PM »
If I can work out a way to get some of the coins, I am gonna cave and get this tomorrow.  :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC #01 Darth Vader with Coin Album
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 07:42 PM »
If you wanted to completely turn to the dark side, you could always take the carded Vader out and return it to the store minus the coin album. I've seen dozens of TAC Vader's without their coin album on the pegs at two of my local Targets. The bar code in on the figure card not the coin album. Free coin album.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2007, 07:45 PM »
If you wanted to completely turn to the dark side, you could always take the carded Vader out and return it to the store minus the coin album.

...and pray the person behind the courtesy desk has no clue about Star Wars.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2007, 08:12 PM »
If you wanted to completely turn to the dark side, you could always take the carded Vader out and return it to the store minus the coin album. I've seen dozens of TAC Vader's without their coin album on the pegs at two of my local Targets. The bar code in on the figure card not the coin album. Free coin album.

If things are so bad that you have to resort to this kind of action, then maybe you shouldn't be buying toys.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 09:35 AM »
And they wonder why the prices of "toys" keep going up...

Needless to say, I caved and bought the album... I like it... Now I am hooked.  :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 05:08 PM »
If you wanted to completely turn to the dark side, you could always take the carded Vader out and return it to the store minus the coin album.

...and pray the person behind the courtesy desk has no clue about Star Wars.

Odds are totally in your favor that they don't have a clue about Star Wars. All they are doing is scanning the bar code. If its on your receipt, you get your money back. The employees have no clue. The odds of having a star wars collector at the return counter is approxed 700 billion to one.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 05:54 PM »
I have to say I really enjoy the coin album a lot.  It is really high quality for a $10 thing with an action figure...  Vader's still sitting in his package but I did tear open the figure to get the coin.

Overall though the folder is a nice piece so I was sort of surprised at the level of quality there.  For $10 it's unique.

I wonder if it'll stop production and be replaced ultimately by the VTAC at that price point, or if they'll run simultaneous.  It could be a way to curb the folder turning into the Commtech Reader of '07.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2007, 03:26 AM »
I just wanted to double check that this Vader figure is indeed a 100% repack...  Nobody's noticed any differences in it, right?  Or has no one even opened theirs up?  I'm hoping it's just a straight repack, so I won't need to have an opener, so my carded and packaged versions will suffice, so if anyone's got information to the contrary, that there are indeed some differences, please LMK.  Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that the coin albums are pretty nice, but the damned coins are certainly an absolute MESS!  It seems like about 2/3rds of them are already completely scratched up and ruined while they're still attached to the card.  No idea what was going on in the production and packaging processes with the coins, but they came out looking like **** by the time they were carded.  Very disappointing, and one helluva pain in the ass now trying to track down some halfway decent looking samples of each coin.

EDIT:  ****.  I just realized that I do need an opener to have the actual Vader coin for the album, right?  It comes on the Vader card, like all the other figures, does it not?  Crap.  That puts me back to needing three of these again.  Dammit.  >:(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:10 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2007, 03:52 AM »
I opened my Vader to pillage the coin. I'll dig out my ROTS Vader tomorrow and make a close comparison and let you know. You might have to shoot me a PM to remind me to do it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2007, 04:12 AM »
Funny, but somehow I didn't even see your reply there, D., and was just re-editing my prior post to point exactly that out.  I do need an opener for nothing more than the damned coin.  Phhtth.   ::)

So don't sweat doing that comparison after all, but thanks for the offer (and reply).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:13 AM by JediMAC »