Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65960 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13 PM »
Hey OT Purists!  Get ready for the prequel "vintage" figures:

"Vintage line... should be expanded to other movies at some point."  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2007, 11:16 PM »
That's fine, more money for Gentle Giant and I can mock the absurdity of characters that are only 8 years old as being "vintage".  Gawd, the cardbacks are going to be blasphemous. ::) :P >:( ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19 PM »
I dunno how to feel at this point...  I want a "Vintage" styled Fleet Trooper and Tarkin, I really do...  I don't want vintage styled prequal characters.  Part of me thinks, when I see them I'll love them, but the price of the vintage line is really hell to deal with, especially when you like buying multiples of any given figure (army builders included). 

At least it's limited any given year...  I dunno.  I wasn't wild about the thoughts of a "Vintage" styled Ugnaught or Rancor Keeper, but that does sorta put a limit on the direction Hasbro can take the vintage line too.  If you're not willing to shell out $10 for those, or if you're gonna not be happy with it, then they are sort of against the wall on who to fill out a wave with at some point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2007, 09:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about this either.  I mean, of course I'd like to see some of the prequel characters get "vintage quality" figures, but putting them in a vintage line and creating some kind of faux-vintage cardbacks for them seems kind of iffy.  If they want to continue the "$10 premium figure" niche, I'd almost just as soon hear them use the Saga Legends name for it if its going to contain figures that weren't in the vintage line - or even in the OT movies.  That way they can mix in characters from all six movies that are super articulated and truly the "best of the line".  It seems weird saying "I picked up a vintage Darth Maul and Jango Fett today at Target".  Vintage quality figures - heck yes, vintage titled line for prequel movie characters - nah.  From this answer though, it sounds like we're headed for prequel figures in the lineup.  Aside from doing the entire original lineup (somewhat unlikely), I could handle one more good wave of OT figures in the current style (vintage cardbacks), and then switching to a sort of "Saga Legends" or "Star Wars Ultimate" or some other name that would cover all the movies - with a new/different cardback.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Personally i would like them to expand into characters that should have been made in the vintage line but they didnt get to. I saw include a wave with Tarkin, Slave Leia, Rebel Trooper, Yarna Da'l Gargan, etc...
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2007, 10:43 AM »
I dont really like this. Cant they just put 'premium' (SA and detailed, with actual work put into them) PT and unmade Kenner characters on basic figure cards and just leave this line to the Kenner figures?  :P

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2007, 03:56 PM »
While reading through the Q and A at Galactic Hunter this week, I noticed the following little blurb:

"So far, Hasbro has given my corporate overlords no solicitation materials on the new Evolutions revival, which I'm starting to think will take the place of Vintage in 2008."

Now, this obviously isn't confirmed or anything at this point - but it just got me to thinking about the line more.  If this were to happen, how would you feel about it.  We've had a variety of opinions in this thread, from wanting Hasbro to do the entire vintage lineup, to ending the subline and just putting those great figures into the basic line.  How would you feel about the Evolutions subline taking this over, or, which would you rather have - the return of Evolutions or more VTSC?  I know they are different pricepoints, so we could have both, but I was just curious how people felt about this possibility.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2007, 04:24 PM »
How would you feel about the Evolutions subline taking this over, or, which would you rather have - the return of Evolutions or more VTSC? 

Hasbro has said in the past that to do more Evolutions sets, something else most likely has to get dropped.  In 2005, Hasbro said that the reason there were no "Vintage" figures is because that budget went to create the Evo sets.  Here is what they said on the topic back in a March 2007 Q&A answer:

There is the heart and soul of our figure line - the basic figure mainline, which consumes a good chunk of our design resources - and then there is "all other" which includes or has included vintage, comic packs, Battle Packs (when they have new figures), exclusives (ditto), and Evolutions packs over the past couple years. Each of these takes resources from our pool, and vintage in particular is extremely resource intensive. That's why as long as other lines are going you won't see a huge offering of vintage like you did in 2004, when it was the only ambitious new subline in that lineup. Also add to that the fact we are trying to do more new or substantially refreshed figures in the mainline and you see that we just can't drop big sublines into our production without risking derailing something else. Instead we make sure that we can deliver everything in the "bites" that keep collectors excited, but it just takes more time to get around to everything probably everyone wants.

Here is the key - "we just can't drop big sublines into our production without risking derailing something else. "

Based on past Hasbro comments, I don't think the Vintage line is done, but I won't be surprised if it skips a year again because of the money being spent on the new Evo sets...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I would definitely prefer Evolutions to VOTC. Three SA figures and a ton of cool accessories for $25 totally beats one SA figure on a fancy card and usually with an irritating lack of accessories for $12. Bring on the new Evolutions sets!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2007, 09:18 AM »
For what it's worth, I'd prefer the VOTC, especially considering what we're getting from Evolutions in '08.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2007, 12:09 PM »
Well compared to this years VOTC and next years Evolutions, i am all for the evolution sets. They are much more interesting. I thought this years VOTC figure choice was a bit weak. I wouldnt mind seeing it come back in 2009 but i happy with the evolution sets.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2007, 02:16 PM »
The one bad thing about the Evolutions sets is that you have to buy all three figures for the twenty bucks or whatever, even if you only really want one or two of them.  The Jedi set next year is a perfect example.  I only want the Qui-Gon, and couldn't care less about the other two.  But, if you're interested in all three figures, Evolutions is a pretty good deal.

The vintage figures are probably a little over-priced, but at least they're all available separately, and in many cases, particularly with Target, they'll be on clearance within a couple months of their release.

But yeah, I'd like to see maybe two or three more waves of vintage.  Just enough to get all the remaining main characters and army builders, and touch on the more iconic aliens and droids and bounty hunters and such.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Some further commentary on retro-vintage's future today:

Is the modern "Vintage" line pretty much done? We know there isn't a wave planned for 2008, but to be honest, the basic figure line has pretty much caught up to the Vintage line in terms of articulation and soft goods. Plus, with the return of the Evolutions sets, the high-quality standard is maintained with an opportunity for an even greater choice of characters. With all of this in mind, the only reason to continue the "Vintage" line is for nostalgic packaging in a protective case, which raises the price. (RS, 12/21/07)

. . .Regarding Vintage, the concept is probably over as far as a high-end, premium clamshell packaged line consisting of 100% new figures, for the reasons you mentioned (a welcome overall trend toward articulation) as well as the fact that there are few really iconic main characters left to do that would be strong anchors for future waves. We do not rule out the possibility that vintage could return in the same format, but we are also looking at other ways where we can harness the great nostalgic power of that very iconic line look. We don't have a timetable for when we bring it back, but know that we are looking at it for farther down the road.

This has been rehashed probably a hundred times in this thread already, but I still think there's enough "big" figures left to do to sustain the vintage SKU for at least another wave or two.  As far as main characters go, there's still Luke Hoth, Luke Jedi, Leia Hoth, Han Bespin (100% anatomically-correct, please), Han Carbonite, Lobot, and The Emperor left to do.  Take a couple of those, and toss in some of the better-known secondary and remaining army-building figures, and they could do a decent comeback wave in 2009.

Unless, of course, 2009's offering will be a Phantom Menace: Tenth Anniversary retro wave. . .   :-X
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2007, 04:05 PM »
I am sorry but Vintage and Prequel dont mix in my opinion, they are just not, Evolutions is the line for these, Vintage started out as remakes of the Kenner figures and should stay that way, and they should make the entire line of figures kenner did on all the right cardbacks, if you dont like the figure no one says you must buy it, but theres people out there who would, and I think it would be enough people to justify Hasbro making the Entire Vintage Line without resulting to these tactics.

As for the Evolutions themselves I like the idea the only problem is the price point and lack of choice, if you want only say for instance ESB Boba Fett you have to buy the other 2 figures as well, so in effect you have just spent 25.00 on Boba Fett which you could have got for 11.99 in the Vintage Line.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 04:24 PM by Desfiy »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2007, 11:26 PM »
For what it's worth, I'd prefer the VOTC, especially considering what we're getting from Evolutions in '08.

I'm with DA on this one.  I like a few of the Evo sets, but the vintage line was really one of my favorites.  I wish they were a little cheaper - some of the ones I picked up last time I paid full Target price of $12 for.  If they were closer to the $8-9 range, I think they'd sell a lot better.  I would at least like to have a complete bounty hunter set, but that's probably unlikely at this point. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today