Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65611 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #270 on: July 3, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Because I'm bored and have nothing going on right now, I'll throw in my two cents on what a nice neo-vintage line would look like.  Again, this would primarily focus on characters who never saw action in the vintage line:

TPM:
Darth Maul
Obi Wan Kenobi
Qui-Gon Jinn
Queen Amidala

AOTC:
Anakin Skywalker
Count Dooku
Jango Fett
Mace Windu

ROTS:
General Grievous
Darth Sidious Senate Duel
Clone Trooper
Wookie Warrior

ANH:
Wedge Antilles
Grand Moff Tarkin
Cantina Band Member
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise

ESB:
Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder

ROTJ:
Slave Leia

I know I'm forgetting some, but this is just ones I'd like to see.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Vintage-Design EU Figures
« Reply #271 on: August 19, 2009, 02:09 AM »
There have been a lot (A LOT  :o) of rumors that Hasbro would do the Vintage design (VTSC, VTAC) for outside-OT characters (TPM, AOTC, ROTS, EU). How would these figures do? And what would they be? Would this be a good idea for Hasbro? A SA Darth Maul on a reprint of TPM card? Heck, figures thse days certainly have equal value now to the Vintage-designed figures, but would collectors buy these otherwise new figures?  ???
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07 AM »
I'm against Vintage designs for any character that wasn't one of the original 93. I'm nostalgic like that. That said, any of those 93 characters I'll buy in a heart beat.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2009, 11:43 AM »
With the rumors going around lately, it really sounds like the "regular" line (TLC now) might be going to more vintage-esque cardbacks next year.  Nothing confirmed yet, but it seems like there is a lot of rumbling lately.  Even though prequel figures would be included, I do think this sort of design would be a pretty big hit with the fans.  I was always more on the side of "OT only" characters, if they continued with the VOTC/VTSC line, but if they make the cards vintage-similar (say like, the 25th Joe cardbacks), I have to admit it would make for a pretty cool collection overall.  Plus, I just like cardbacks with a great big picture of the character, like the vinty days.  I've never been a big fan of the "insert pic" type of packaging, like the current TLC/CW lines have.

Offline darthjaybay

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 19, 2009, 03:21 PM »
If this happens, looks like i will have to go back to buying two of each figure, one to keep carded and one loose!  Its been A LONG time since I have done that!!!

I cant imagine how cool it would be to see those card backs on the shelves again (without that plastic bubble in the VOTC collection). It will be a trip to see anakin, clone troopers and prequal obi wan on these cards, but I think that is a good thing... it brings the entire line full circle!  Hope Hasbro models the back of the card like the old vintage line as well, with ALL the figures shown.

Fingers crossed this happens!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I dunno...Not really sure what to think about prequel characters on OT cardbacks, but this might get me back into carded collecting again if it pans out to be true.  The helmets were passable, but I just can't stand the look of the new cards.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I love the idea of having a Darth Maul, etc. on a vintage looking card. I have no problem with it at all.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I'm a purist.  The vintage card for EI looks like this:

If Hasbro wants to go retro with prequel stuff, they should put SA figures onto those cards with new commtech chips and charge $12 a piece.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 05:47 PM by Rob »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2009, 05:42 PM »
At this point I would be very happy to see any package change because since TAC left the cards just blow. This years package in my opinion, really suck bantha balls. I would normally take the position Rob has but I can dig it if that is truly the only way to get the other vintage ones missing from the VOTC line. Let's face it the bulk of the figures left are not the cream of the crop so they need to pump some life in there. If anyone is that opposed just don't buy the prequel guys.

Since I have been cherry pick'n the line more this kind of thing no longer bothers me. Just start shipping new **** again, I would be happy to get any new Legacy right now. I am so tired of the long pauses between new stuff in the last year. I have serious doubts Hasbro will get all the waves they have planned for this year out by the end of this year. The EP1 wave should have popped up by now, they need to fix this problem to keep folks engaged. Pegs are actually pretty empty, even the Yarna's are moving 2 figures a month now out of desperation.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2009, 11:08 AM »
If this happens, looks like i will have to go back to buying two of each figure, one to keep carded and one loose!  Its been A LONG time since I have done that!!!

I'll only do that with Vintage card repos. Other than that, I'll never go back.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:38 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 21, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Same with me.  I only want the vintage repos if they even come back.  I'm not real interested in pluncking down $15 for them which is probably what the price will be if it's done.