Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65896 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2009, 03:08 PM »

I could picture something like the MOTU Classics line (except hopefully not as highly priced) where you could buy 3-4 VOTC styled figure each month from HTS.  It probably wouldn't be ideal for everyone, but I could see that sort of avenue for "premium" figures - which is what VOTC was originally supposed to be. 

I like that idea, too, but what scares me about the Hasbro mindset is that if it isn't supported greatly by retail stores, they dump it.  Look at IJ: the TOD wave could easily have been offered in great quantity online (from Hasbro) for the collector interest, but they had a hissy fit since the line itself didn't sell that well, and pulled out of production of the line.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I think that Hasbro ( or Star Wars Shop) didn't pick up the TOD line because if the horrible case assortment.  They would have been sitting on tons of earlier figures while everyone ordered the TOD figs.  The case was 6 new figures, and 6 old figures.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Hasbro and horrible case assortments? That's odd.  ::)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 2, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Not sure if anyone remembers a Q&A from Hasbro, probably 2-3 years ago now.  They said that that when, and if the Retro line returns, that they would follow suit with Joe and have the non bubble cased cards to keep costs down and that there was a very good chance some older figs that they believe were ultimate versions would be re-released (R5-D4, Luke Endor, comes to mind).  Hopefully they recard the new Ben Kenobi and Endor C-3PO.  With all the new planned figs coming out in the next 3 years they pretty much can finalize all 97 figs minus a handful (Walrusman, Anakin, Bespin Security, Hoth Luke, Hoth Leia, Bespin Han, Zuckuss, Weequay, Nien Nunb, Gam Guard, A few more Ewoks, Ree-Yees, Dignitary. Recard, repaint, add soft goods and recard figs like Comic Pack Amanamin, Death Star Trooper (Repaint to Death Squad Commander), ROTS Royal Guard, General Calrissian, Squidhead, etc.  I'm sure they will tie up all the Retro stuff.  And for a mail in promo how about a vintage 3-pack boxed Max Rebo Band. There is still "9" years left on the license. 
« Last Edit: April 2, 2009, 11:52 PM by Jim »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 3, 2009, 11:38 AM »
And for a mail in promo how about a vintage 3-pack boxed Max Rebo Band.

That is an awesome idea!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #230 on: April 3, 2009, 01:54 PM »
And for a mail in promo how about a vintage 3-pack boxed Max Rebo Band.

That is an awesome idea!

Great way to get a vintage Sy Snootles!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 4, 2009, 10:54 AM »
I like that idea too.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 4, 2009, 01:31 PM »
I'd just like to see some of the classic mail-aways done.  Getting your proof of purchase's together to mail away for Admiral Ackbar, Nein Nunb, the Emporer and 4-LOM (Zuckuss) was one of the coolest parts of the vintage line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 4, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Not sure if anyone remembers a Q&A from Hasbro, probably 2-3 years ago now.  They said that that when, and if the Retro line returns, that they would follow suit with Joe and have the non bubble cased cards to keep costs down and that there was a very good chance some older figs that they believe were ultimate versions would be re-released (R5-D4, Luke Endor, comes to mind).  Hopefully they recard the new Ben Kenobi and Endor C-3PO.  With all the new planned figs coming out in the next 3 years they pretty much can finalize all 97 figs minus a handful (Walrusman, Anakin, Bespin Security, Hoth Luke, Hoth Leia, Bespin Han, Zuckuss, Weequay, Nien Nunb, Gam Guard, A few more Ewoks, Ree-Yees, Dignitary. Recard, repaint, add soft goods and recard figs like Comic Pack Amanamin, Death Star Trooper (Repaint to Death Squad Commander), ROTS Royal Guard, General Calrissian, Squidhead, etc.  I'm sure they will tie up all the Retro stuff.  And for a mail in promo how about a vintage 3-pack boxed Max Rebo Band. There is still "9" years left on the license. 

I do remember something about that from the Hasbro Q and A's.  Not a bad idea.  I think the majority of people here were fine with losing the clamshell if it meant saving a few bucks anyways.  It was the cardback that sold me (and many others I think) on the line - along with some very nice figures of course.  Like you said, it would be very much like the 25th Joes line - and that would be pretty cool.  I'd personally be ok with them re-releasing some of the other near perfect figures (VOTC Han, EB/VOTC Chewie, TLC Obi-Wan, Evolutions Vader, etc.) that we've gotten over the years alongside some of the unmade figures you mentioned.  The mail in promo is a great idea as well.  Although sometimes the shipping has been a bit high on some of the recent ones, I've really enjoyed that Hasbro has embraced the mail away with SW (as well as Indy/Joes/etc.) and I hope that it continues.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for new Vintage-style Star Wars Figures
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Hmmm.  Ideally, I'd like to see a wave of 4 figures per movie.  But all of the core characters from ANH have been covered, and I think it could make for a weak wave.

STAR WARS
Death Squad Commander
Jawa
Walrusman (Ponda Baba)
Power Droid

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Luke Skywalker - Hoth Battle Gear
Princess Leia Organa - Hoth Outfit
Han Solo - Bespin Gear
Imperial Commander

RETURN OF THE JEDI
The Emporer
AT-ST Driver
Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
Nien Nunb

POWER OF THE FORCE
Han Solo in Carbonite
Lando Calrissian - General
Imperial Dignitary - Sim Aloo
Barada

A vintage-style Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) sounds like a good idea.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2009, 10:37 AM »
Good idea? Good is an understatement. That's a figure that has been over due since SA SW figures became a reality.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:37 AM by Darth_Anton »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Well we have one coming in the RotJ wave later this year. ;D

Of course, they'll find a way to mess it up somehow (soft goods, facial expression, etc.). :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Ideas for new Vintage-style Star Wars Figures
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Hmmm.  Ideally, I'd like to see a wave of 4 figures per movie.  But all of the core characters from ANH have been covered, and I think it could make for a weak wave.

STAR WARS
Death Squad Commander
Jawa
Walrusman (Ponda Baba)
Power Droid

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Luke Skywalker - Hoth Battle Gear
Princess Leia Organa - Hoth Outfit
Han Solo - Bespin Gear
Imperial Commander

RETURN OF THE JEDI
The Emporer
AT-ST Driver
Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
Nien Nunb

POWER OF THE FORCE
Han Solo in Carbonite
Lando Calrissian - General
Imperial Dignitary - Sim Aloo
Barada

A vintage-style Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight) sounds like a good idea.

I like most of that list but would change the POTF to include Anakin and Yakface. Would be a nice way to get the vintage versions.

I am in the minority here but would love a wave of Droids and Ewoks as well...Vlix included of course.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2009, 02:35 PM »
retro vintage wishlist

Star Wars

Jawas
Death Squad Commander

ESB

Luke hoth battle gear
Leia Hoth
Imperial commander
tie fighter pilot

ROTJ

Jedi Luke
gamorrean guard
Anakin (shaw head)
emperor royal guard

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25 AM »
You have said in the past that if the vintage style cardbacks ever return, they would also be used for prequel and EU figures. Do you think that these will ever become a reality? Have any concepts ever been created of what a vintage style card for a prequel film character would look like? If so, would you be able to share a picture? (SWC, 2009-06-12)

We actually have not created a vintage style card for a prequel character, but can indeed confirm that this is the agreed direction should Vintage ever return. While there is no mock-up, we think that the cards would look spectacular, as if the Vintage line had never stopped. It's an intriguing and powerful concept, and one we hope to be able to get to when the time is right.

Discuss.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."