Author Topic: 30AC Coin Pack-Ins  (Read 24607 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2007 Coin Pack-Ins
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I'd accept that if it were everywhere, especially in the toy aisle, but JUST Star Wars going up doesn't cut the mustard for oil/gas as an excuse with me...  And like I said, with the stores willing to run sales that put figures below $5 (and run them for extended periods of time) and still have them be quite profitable, I really don't buy the price increases...  It's retail capitalizing on something it deems popular yet, not inflation, at least to me anyway.

Now if you looked around the store and saw that Lego sets spiked, GI Joe, Marvel, Barbie, etc., all going up in price...  And if you went to the store and tupper ware, or pens, or toothbrushes, or whatnot went up in price in great jumps, I'd buy into it...  $6.99 has been here for SW though and it was really a price jack at that time too...  For ROTS I saw $4.99 to $5.89...  It varied.  $6.99 at KM and KB though. 

In my area at least one Target is $5.89 for some reason, others $6.99 and slightly less (WM).  I know others have those anomylous Targets too, sometimes more frequent or that's their standard for the area...  It's not my area's unfortunately. 

Like I said, I'd agree if this wasn't focused in the toy aisle on one product line...  If this was measurable around other products and things...  My distributors in plastics manufacturing all tell me though that the cost increases are greatly exagerrated in how they will impact the consumer, at least from their perspectives.  With this just seemingly being Star Wars, I'm going to say the simpler explanation is probably the right one in that this is just retail/Hasbro pushing the envelope on price to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:12 AM »
I agree. 

Retail and Hasbro have figured out that collectors can be "pushed" to pay close to $7 for figures.  TSC figures were selling well at $5.88 at Wallyworld - they bumped up the price to $6.63 and the rate of sale seems to be the same (judging by the number of figures on the pegs on store visits).

Did the price of plastic jump that much in a few weeks?  Probably not, and if it did, that's a real quick turnaround time for a huge toy company.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 09:48 AM »
I have no interest in pack-in garbage anymore, I would prefer the quality of the toys themselves reach a higher standard considering the retail price they now cost...

Ditto.   :)

Same here. Or at the very least, the pack in should be a useful accessory.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 10:10 AM »
No coins please. Perhaps a build a charcter gimmick like with Marvel Legends?
I remember my dream now.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 10:50 AM »
I'd rather my figures move beyond 1983 and have knee, elbow, and wrist joints become a standard in the line...  Pack-ins like the mini holos cost more than people realize I think, and coins I can't imagine will be much better...  I have no interest in pack-in garbage anymore, I would prefer the quality of the toys themselves reach a higher standard considering the retail price they now cost...  Static legs and arms just ain't cuttin' the mustard anymore.

I agree.

Or like MetalJedi said, some sort of character gimmick like with Marvel would be great because you can get an actual figure built from it, or God forbit - a nice accessory!!!

:)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 10:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat as many of you - I'd rather have either cheaper figures, more articulation/quality in the figures themselves, or both than have a pack in.  That being said, since pack ins seem to be part of the line now, I don't mind the coins.  Kind of a nice nod to the vintage POTF days, and if we're going to have a pack in, this doesn't sound so bad to me.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 12:13 PM »
If a pack in is going to be part of the deal, I like the coin idea. I liked the Freeze Frames as well, and actually pull them out and view them sometimes (we have an old slide viewer). Coins are much preferable to holos, but I would ultimately rather get more accessories or props with the figure. Background droids, fuel tanks, console parts, just about anything to fill in the scenes.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 01:38 PM »
I actually like the idea of the coins as a pack-in (runs for cover).  For some reason Hasbro feels like they MUST put a pack-in of some kind.  I am assuming to spice up the packaging?  You know how every product has to say something like "New and Improved!"  I think this is Hasbro's version of that. 

But sure if they wanted to make every figure SA or give it an accessory that would be much nicer.  I agree.  But it ain't gonna happen.  They love those pack-ins and that's that. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 07:53 PM »
As being the only person here who is looking forward to these.  Would this not be the perfect opportunity to roll out a VOTC POTF line next year? 

SA Luke Stormtrooper
SA Emperor
R2-D2 pop-up saber
Gamorrean Guard
Nikto
B-Wing Pilot
Yakface

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 07:57 PM »
It would be. At Yakface, I asked that very same question to Hasbro and they gave us the "Not at this time" response.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 08:16 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 08:05 PM »
If we have to have a pack-in, I'd definately prefer a coin (ala POTF) over a random hologram thing... I'd much rather have a collection of character coins than gummy-bear Darth Vaders.

I'd much rather have the dime flipped towards knee articulation, and accessories, actually...

Good thread.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Accessories are the way to go...

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 11:10 PM »
Let's hope it stays at $6 bucks instead of $80. :-\
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Accessories are the way to go...

Damn right brother! I want accessory crap for the figures!

Overall if we must, coins are better than holos.
The red globs really suck. Why did they choose red?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Accesories make too much sense. So they won't do it.

Since have been doing themed waved, a themed accesory woudl make sens e(like the 3 Tatooine figures with the bar table.) The Hoth figures could have had crates and containers found in the rebel base or they coudl do themed stands insteand of holos and generic stands....Carkoon wave with a generic Jabba Palace floor tile stand, or even Tatooine sandy terrain stand/tile. Nah, we get coins, holos, the ever popular Flashback card things...i.e. crap for the junk box.   
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!