Author Topic: Anyone else losing interest?  (Read 17625 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Anyone else losing interest?
« on: September 28, 2006, 02:11 PM »
I think there are other topics along this line, but as I poked my head into this particular topic area today, I realized I have hardly been looking at all at the Hasbro areas of the board.  So I thought I'd ask if this has been the case for anyone else of late? 

I still like the Hasbro figures and don't really intend to offload all of my figures as some other folks have done.  But I've already started reducing my armies and don't particularly feel a need to have five death star gunners or the like.  I find the new pictures of the figures with the coins interesting and some nicely done figures in that mix as well.  At the same time, my completionist ways have easily dwindled as I no longer care about a repaint of a new figure very much at all and something like a Mustafar lava miner holds little interest to me. 

Given most people in here are probably still pretty keen on this stuff, this might be the wrong place to ask, but I'm curious if anyone else is feeling this way at this point.  I just don't really look forward to finding 60-70 figures next year, much preferring to wait on my twice per year Kubricks, seeing what Gentle Giant has for me and then a few other items. 

What say you?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else losing interest?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:40 PM »
I can agree with you. I haven't really been much into the 3 3/4" stuff for quite a while now. I'll pick up a figure here and there if I think it's unique but it just seems like everything is a rehash or a clone. I myself own 2 clone figures (they came in the same battle pack) and that's fine for me. I don't need and can't really afford the armies they're putting out there. And as for all the gimmicks like the Coin and the holograms, i'd rather see that money go into a unique base or more accesories. It all just seems like a waste. I will say though some of the new figures in the 30th line are nice and it's refreshing to see a different figure...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:41 PM by Madcow »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I started a thread about this a while ago, at a time when I wasn't very into what was happeing with the figs.  I understand when interest fades, but I don't feel that way right now.  While all the repaints coming out this fall are a bit ho-hum, 2007 looks like it could be an excellent year. Just the idea of having 8 or so McQuarrie figures is enough to keep me giddy all year long.

Granted, I'm not into the coins, but I've given up on the hopes that Hasbro will create packi-ins that I really love. (Bases, weapons, extra hands...)

So I am very interested at the moment, but I do know how both of you feel.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Today when I went to Target to get some stuff I thought about this.  My wife had to convince me to go to the SW aisle b/c I just was not into it.  I used to hit the aisle as soon as I came into store and lately it has become more of a "sure why not" thing. 

I will never get rid of my stuff.  I love what I have and making dioramas and displaying my armies and what not.  But it is the "new" product that falls short in my eyes.  And ironically as the days pass I can afford more and more stuff but I find much less interesting product arriving from big H.

Sometimes I feel like Threepio.  "I'm done for" :-\
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 02:41 AM »
I'm not disinterested, but I am frustrated...  What is new isn't out in any quantity, there's no abundance of figures I want (Sandtroopers and Death Star Gunners at the moment, and the Endor Rebels who I've yet to see).  New stuff seems in short supply... 

That hurts my ENJOYMENT of things, but as far as the line goes I am even considering pre-ordering cases actually.  I haven't done that in a while really.  The repaints and stuff though have me very interested and the early '07 figures really impress me for the most part.

The things that kill my interest are when figures fall short of being really high quality in my opinion and it's no secret that a lot of that lies in when a figure lacks articulation at a point that it should have it irregardless of who the figure represents.  Next is price...  I don't mind $7 for really great figures, but for Derlin, Veers, Sora Bulq...  I really start to question what I buy, and I definitely start cancelling buying "extra" of a lot of these.  I lack the fodder of course then, but $7 for a figure I'm not happy with is only acceptable to get it and review it and put it in my collection. 

Add then not being able to find what I actually wouldn't mind paying the rape prices for and I definitely have a lot of frustration with the line right now...  I'm actually looking forward to camoflauge battledroids though, and the Clone repaints are cool...  I can deal with this stuff at the end of the year, I just worry it'll be as hard to find as anything else since last year is the precedent for this situation, and finding the final figures of ROTS was a huge pain for many (myself included).

I think the more classic product for '07 we see, the more people will come around though...  There's a lot of prequal stuff so far kicking it off next year and I think classic stuff may rejuvenate some interest in those fading.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:38 AM »
I'm finding myself able to curb certain parts of the collection now. For example, I just can't bring myself to buy the ROTS mid-sized ships in Saga packaging, and I haven't opened any holo figures in two years. In fact, I've tried to trade them off. The final "22" of  '06 near killed it for me and I started getting rid of excess clones.

That said, if it wasn't for such a great first looking first wave for '07, who knows where I'd be?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 06:20 PM »
I've been enjoying the break.  I've saved a small fortune over the last two months - and I'm going to curb my spending from here until forever on SW toys.  But I'm looking forward to new figures whenever they want to put them out.

I'll just be hanging onto my $97.00 instead of buying a repainted AT AT from here on out.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 07:42 PM »
 I think the problem is that most of us have been doing this collecting thing for a helluva a long time and are just burnt out a bit. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 11:08 AM »
My interest is not where it used to be. I have been picking and choosing only buying "new figures". I don't need repaints or re-releases. I skipped out on the At-At, telling myself i don't need the flip visor Biker scout. I probably won't buy the new Snowspeeder just for Zev. I am buying less and less. I know i won't get all of the collector's tins. Sideshow has gotten most of my money.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 01:37 PM »
No, I like the new coins now. The figure choices are starting to get better too. SA is a plus too from the older figures. Up until late Saga1 most of the figures were crap in articulation.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #10 on: October 2, 2006, 05:47 PM »
coins sound cool to me...as long as they aren't a signal for the end as they where in the late eighties....but yes i can agree with the subject, this years collection kinda put a really big nail in starwars figure coffin. one that i didn't see coming. but after 05, i gotta say nothing will ever top that again. maybe if they just started milking the EU correctly....

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: October 2, 2006, 06:28 PM »
Clone Wars 3D will be  happening late 07 into 08. This could be really good, and will push the line for at least two  more years.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2006, 01:04 PM »
Clone Wars 3D will be happening late 07 into 08. This could be really good, and will push the line for at least two more years.

This will help in my opinion. We need something new, or it will be 10 more years of variations on the theme of "15 new figures and 60 old ones per year"

But buying figures isn't nearly as much fun for me now as it was 8-10 years ago.

I would rather hang out on the Kubrick boards than the Hasbro boards. For one thing, the community seems tighter and less antagonistic.

I think some of the 2007 early figures look great. I'm not gone yet, but I can see the door from where I am standing-

Offline Lestat

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Sideshow has gotten most of my money.

Same here. There is alot I like about the 3/3/4 style but for my money I would rather have one ultimate version of each character than 40 Lukes that range from near misses to all out junk. I've actually started getting the ships and setting up a few basic figures in a dio centered around the ship. The ships take up so much space that it almost forces you to curb the collecting.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #14 on: October 5, 2006, 05:11 PM »
I am not on the outs and losing interest. My real SW passion latley lies in customs.  I still buy 90% Hasbro 3.75 items.
I am however not buying everything.  The new wave's Maul Holo is a pass, the comic packs, minus Han/Chewie, are a pass. GB , H&V, some battlepacks are a pass.

I will always support the line to keep it going but I refuse to just buy anything for the sake of it. Where I lost interest is the hunt. I am 29 with a busy life, the thrill of the hunt is awesome its when you go to the store so many times and come up empty handed is where it blows harder than the finest of whores.

Even worse is when the same fat bastard in white sneakers, grizzly beard, red baseball cap, greasy glasses is in the aisle before you with all the loot. It gets old after awhile.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/