Author Topic: Anyone else losing interest?  (Read 17551 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else losing interest?
« Reply #15 on: October 6, 2006, 10:26 AM »
I tend to vacillate between being excited about things and being completely apathetic these days.  Normally my excitement for something peaks when it starts to hit and I make regular runs, but it drops to practically zero when those multiple visits to Target keep turning up nothing.  The only thing that makes me worry a little bit less about the first wave of 2007 with the Marine, Airborne Trooper, etc is that it will most likely be under a new DCPI/UPC and stores will overorder, making it easier to find the Clones (I hope). 

I frequently look around at the mountain of stuff behind me and think about how much time, money, and effort I've (for lack of a better word) wasted on the collection.  Sure it brings me enjoyment, but I also can't help but wonder what it would be like if I'd focused on other areas instead of the action figures which would cause me much less in the way of stressful and fruitless toy runs (I really wish I'd stuck with Lego collecting instead of the 4" line). 

So, um, yeah.  My interest comes and goes, but it definitely isn't at the level it once was for me, at least as the 4" line is concerned.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 6, 2006, 10:34 AM »
I just read that Jeff found three tin sets in MN.  But the cost was $93 for the three of them.  I think that about seals the decline of my Hasbro collecting.  I am absolutely not paying $186 to get some nice tins and six figures I need to be complete.  Screw it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 6, 2006, 10:46 AM »
If I don't start finding new stuff I'm going to.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #18 on: October 6, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I think the deciding to drop completist habits makes the collecting much more fun.  I used to collect every 3 3/4 figure out there. But when multipacks started coming out with one new figure, I stopped. The truth is, I don't miss what I don't have. And, in a way, if SW every stops, I'll have some holes in my collection to fill in over the years.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 9, 2006, 01:19 AM »
All I want are mass-produced little plastic figures of characters from a series of movies I enjoy. I don't care for mini-holo gimmicks, clam-shelled collectibles, tin-encased repacks, or over-priced exclusives that are intended to make the retailer happy rather than as a way to deliver otherwise hard-to-market toys to the consumer.

Losing interest? Damn straight.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 9, 2006, 03:20 PM »
I started collecting these as a way for my two kids to enjoy them when they are old enough.  However, in the last year I've questioned whether or not they will even know/recognize Polis Massan, Gragra, or the Mustafar Lava Miner when they start to watch the movies/play with these figures.  So I think that my days of getting every carded figure are definitely over.  Same thing with the vehicles.  I think that the Falcon, X-Wing, Anakin/Obi-Wan starfighters are on screen enough to justify buying them.  But when Hasbro is on the fifth re-paint of the ROTS starfigters and fourth re-paint of the AOTC/CW starfighters, I can't keep plunking down $20-$30 for these.

I think that I'm at the point now where I can stick to Battle Packs and get the figures that they would recognize and not break the bank ($20 for a BP vs. $7+ for each individual figure).  But I do know that I'll have to pick up a few of the carded figures here and there.  Same with vehicles.  I missed the POTF AT-AT, so I can 'justify' getting the latest release.  However, if they release another one in a year or so, I won't bother.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 08:22 PM »
i actually think 2007 has BOOSTED my interest...that said, anything looks great next to the final 22 :P ...galactic marine, airborne, and mcquarrie in one wave, however, is a real blessing, and if the big H keeps gracing us with these super new army-builders all of 2007, its gonna be a pretty d*mn good year for collecting...and even opening ::)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 09:42 PM »
iits gonna be a pretty d*mn good year for collecting

You know you're allowed to curse here...

Damn damn damnity damn damn damn. Fartknocker. ****.

As for the topic, I wouldn't say that I'm losing interest, but will definitly buy less figures, because of the almost $8 pricetag.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 04:10 AM »

Only if you're actually using it to say something productive.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I am absolutely not paying $186 to get some nice tins

More like $210 (don't forget the Cantina WM tin)!

Holy ****!

;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 01:27 PM by ruiner »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Ayup, but I stopped caring about the math when I stopped caring about the tins.  I filled out my Cantina band a while ago from Ebay, so no point in wasting more money.  Still, the tins look cool and maybe if they cost half as much, I'd be interested. 

I dunno, I'm just more of less resolved to buying stuff I see and no longer panicking about  getting everything and anything Hasbro throws out there.  Some of the newer stuff is great, I just opened up the bulk of the Tatooine/Endor waves and the new stuff is pretty sweet, so I still like the stuff.  Just not sure I need every gummi-bear version of every figure they put out. 

And could someone ask Hasbro if they're aware of the animosity they're creating with the rehash waves?  I mean really, I get it from a financial standpoint with respect to the low cost of putting out old product in new packaging.  But isn't this stuff just jamming up the pegs everywhere?  Yeah, a few things that are army builders move really well, but what possessed them to re-release pregnant Padme?  There's still six from ROTS on the pegs at Walmart and they don't bring in much stock anyway because of it.  Ya gotta know the next case they put out will have the repackaged Padme in to make seven figures sitting there for all eternity.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Just adding more bang to your cause - $210 sounds more impactful than $186!   ;)

The problem with the rehash waves is timing (and logic).

Last year, Hasbro had great success with the ROTS figures because A.) there was a movie to support them and B.) the price was right.

What in holy hell possessed them to re-release so many ROTS figures in a non-movie year?  Most of us already have them, and if we don't, why would we pay $6.99 (or $7.65) for them considering the same darn figures were $4.99 just over a year ago?!

Like you said, the army builders make sense, but the rest of them are just ludicrous.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 09:53 PM »
iits gonna be a pretty d*mn good year for collecting

Damn damn damnity damn damn damn. ******. ****.

Oh...you can tell im very new here...so that being said...DAMN???!!! Why didn't I know that before?!!!  :D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 10:17 PM »

Only if you're actually using it to say something productive.

I was just pointing out to him that it's okay to swear on JD. One of the many things that makes this site great.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 09:51 AM »
I just read that Jeff found three tin sets in MN.  But the cost was $93 for the three of them.  I think that about seals the decline of my Hasbro collecting.  I am absolutely not paying $186 to get some nice tins and six figures I need to be complete.  Screw it.

Ya, these tins are a thorn in my side as well. I've been punk-slapped enough for posting my desire for playsets and figure environments in other boards, but these things are at a diorama type price point, take up as much space, and do absolutely nothing for me. Every excuse they make for not supporting figure environments (cost, shelf space, new tooling, lack of interest) they break for crap like this. Where has there been any interest expressed in overpriced tins with multiple repacks for ridiculous prices? Or the 50 or so transformer packs sitting on the top shelf at every target I go to?

Some of the early figures for next year look very good, but I'll be surprised if Hasbro gets more than a couple hundred dollars out of me next year. That is a very steep decline-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:07 PM by Bob Dylan SW fan »