Author Topic: Your college alma mater...  (Read 4843 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Your college alma mater...
« on: June 1, 2003, 04:30 PM »
So for those who have been to college - whether you're on your way, are in progress, never quite graduated, or polished off your degree - where'd you go?

I went to UCSB - University of California, Santa Barbara.  Loved it so much I spent 9 years in total there (on and off)!  It's in the same UC chain of schools as UCLA, UC Berkeley, and about 6 others.  Met my wife there too.  She proceeded to go off and get a couple Masters Degrees after that at UCLA and Cal State Northridge (yeah, we know who's got the brains in my family!  ;))...  She's contemplating a PHd now, which frankly doesn't sound too enticing to me at this point - another 5 years or so of only partial income...   :-\

So where did you guys and gals all go?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Your college alma mater...
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2003, 05:23 PM »
University of Minnesota, The Golden Gophers part of the Big Ten and the largest school in Minnesota at well over 10,000 students and home of the current repeat College Hockey Champions.

I have a Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering with High Distinction, class of 1997.  Unlike Matt, I was able to finish in 4 years.  

Our program is ranked within the top 3 usually behind MIT and Cal-Berkley for ChemE...it has a great engineering, business, law and medical school.  The rest is so-so typical state school I guess.  The neatest thing is it is nestled right near downtown Minneapolis which is great for nightlife and not so great for crime.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2003, 05:49 PM »
Northern Illinois University Huskies

NIU is located in DeKalb, IL, in the middle of a corn field.  I graduated there in 1996 with a B.A. in Journalism (TV Broadcast) and a minor in German.  I spent 5 years there, because I was originally a Physical Therapy major and later changed to Journalism.  Was never able to find a job in TV Broadcast, so I went with my second love of computers.  Most people know I'm currently unemployed, but constantly looking for some type of work.
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2003, 05:55 PM »
University of Indianapolis, the Greyhounds. Although if you'd ever go to a game and see our mascot, he looks more like an oversized rat than a Greyhound.

I went there from Fall of 97 through December 01, graduated with a degree in Information Systems and couldn't find diddley in the way of employment. So in the Fall of 02 I went back! I will graduate for a second time this December, with a degree in Marketing.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2003, 06:52 PM »
I'm going to MT. San Antonio College also known as UCLA (University of Califorina Left on Armar) or Havard on the Hill ;D, by alot of people who graduated with me in HS.  

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2003, 07:05 PM »
I started out at Lansing Community College then went on to Michigan State.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2003, 09:28 PM »
I started at the Herron School of Art, Indianapolis = Associates degree in Fine Art with a background in Art History. Went for two years.

Then I transferred to Ivy Tech State College to take (IU) Indiana University classes and received my degree in Visual Communications / Multimedia Specialty and Graphic arts. Minor in Art History.

I was and still am part of Phi Theta Kappa and graduated with Honors.

Then after I graduated in 2001 I went to IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University of Indianapolis) for a year to get a background in 3D Studio Max. I am not a big 3D guy but it was nice to learn what all goes into 3D.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Good old University of Manitoba (go to Scott's alma mater and drive 8 hours north :o).  

Bachelor of Science - Zoology major, botany and statistics minors

Bachelor of Science in Agriculture - Entomology major

Master of Science - Entomology Major.

Currently mulling a PhD offer from Kansas.  Trying to work it with minimal time away from work and paid at that.  Like you Matt, I do not enjoy a decreased income.  I did my time as the poverty stricken student.  Never again.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2003, 05:49 PM »
I started out at Lansing Community College then went on to Michigan State.
Glad to see another Lansing, or Lansing area person :)

I did my undergrad at Grand Valley State University.  Its a Division 2 school in west Michigan.  We got some national recognition last year for winning the NCAA Division 2 Football championship.  I graduated with a BS in political science in 2002

Currently I'm attending law school at Michigan State University-DCL.  I'm supposed to graduate in December of 05, but unless I pick my grades up....
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2003, 06:13 PM »
Currently I'm enrolled at La Roche College (Soon to be University I think), which is a private school in the Pittsburgh area (In Pittsburgh's North Hills area).  My 2-year degree came many moons ago it seems, from NewPort Business Institute, and old business college from the Pittsburgh area and affilliated with La Roche College.

My major for my 2-year was Business Administration with a focus on Retail/Production and Retail Management.  At La Roche I'm duel majoring in Business Administration/Management and Marketing.  Very similar degrees, but the two will diversify me for finding permanent work in Pittsburgh (I'm not wanting to leave, it's great here).  Unfortunately, getting in the door in business here is rougher than some other larger cities.

I'd like to open my own business, a club/restaurant maybe, here in the city eventually.  

Between schools, I worked for a few major retail establishments, several financial institutions, and an accounting office (And of course some smaller part-time jobs that we've all had to do at one point or another, including time for a vending machine company in the local steel mill, YIKES!)

I considered attending one of 3 state schools right out of high school that are all nearby.  IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania), Penn State, or University of Pittsburgh...  I also tossed about the Art Institute of Pittsburgh for 3-D animation, and almost went there this year to do what I wanted to, but 3-D animation has such a high competition level that I worried about getting the work I wanted...  To me that was like saying I wanted to be a pro hockey player.  It wasn't gonna happen, not at this later stage of my life.  :-\

Instead I decided to major in business since it's what I know and what I'm good at.  To me, making $ and being secure (And happy on those levels) are more important than chasing a dream.  If I want to enjoy the benefits of things like 3-D animation, I'll have to do so as a hobby...  Kinda like hockey. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2003, 07:40 PM »
Lake Superior State University - GO  LAKERS!!!
I have a B.A. degree in Accounting (which is good since I am a staff accountant at SLH & Co.)  :)

Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2003, 07:45 PM »
Lake Superior State University - GO  LAKERS!!!
I have a B.A. degree in Accounting (which is good since I am a staff accountant at SLH & Co.)  :)

ANOTHER Lakers fan???  Too bad they didn't make it into the NBA Finals, huh?   ;)
dustrho

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2003, 09:32 PM »
Looks like I'll be the first to represent the Big 12 here as I attented Iowa St University.

Started off in mechanical engineering but got my butt kicked by the physics and calculus that came with it so I switched to accounting. Much easier working with those numbers.  ;D

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2003, 10:39 PM »
Undergrad: University of Dayton:  B.S. Mathematics & Physics. Yeah, 2003 Atlantic-10 Basketball Champs baby! :)

Grad: University of Colorado-Boulder: M.S. Applied Mathematics and slaving away towards the PhD currently  :-\
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Undergrad: University of Dayton:  B.S. Mathematics & Physics. Yeah, 2003 Atlantic-10 Basketball Champs baby! :)

Grad: University of Colorado-Boulder: M.S. Applied Mathematics and slaving away towards the PhD currently  :-\

Well, I'm impressed.  At least it was this :-\ instead of this :'(

MS and PhD rolled together or separate?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.