Author Topic: 2007/30th Anniversary DVD Release with all 6 Films?  (Read 13451 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2007/30th Anniversary DVD Release with all 6 Films?
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:13 PM »
I was reading this article over at T'Bone's Star Wars Universe, which again discusses the rumors of a new box set in time for the 30th anniversary next year.  Some rumors he is hearing deal with there being some more changes to the movies themselves, although details are sketchy right now.  This might all be rumors, but I just thought I'd pass it along if interested.

I'm really not sure what to do about these releases on Sept 12th.  Although we all know the shortcomings, there is a part of me that wants to have the original versions, even if they aren't anamorphic (I don't have a widescreen tv anyways).  And even though I know it probably won't be the case, I will be kicking myself if I skip them and they aren't ever released again (properly).  But, then again, I don't want to be buying these and then re-buying them next year to get the "new improved" versions once again.  I haven't been stung as much as many have with the multiple releases in the past (I got the original versions on VHS when I was in high school, bought the special editions on VHS when I was in college, and bought the DVD versions in 2004), but I could see how this would anger people - because I don't want to have to keep buying them.  As much as it is my decision, I know if there are new scenes or something, I'll probably end up wanting to buy them.  Anyways, just wanted to pass along the info if anyone was interested.  He also discusses soundtracks.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 05:05 PM by Jeff »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 06:36 PM »
I think that would be the only way for me to get these is if they had the Biggs scene in the movie, or some of the cut scenes from ESB or ROTJ in them.  I know one of the laserdisc versions had a sort of director's cut version....or at least it was rumored.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:14 PM »
I would just be satisfied if they actually included these deleted scenes as extras.  It would actually be kind of fun if there was an OPTION to watch the entire movies with deleted scenes included...just to see how it good or badly it would flow.  But that will never happen....I kind of wonder if the deleted scenes will ever be put out on DVD in one way or another?  I thought for sure it would happen after they put them on the CD-ROM Behind the Magic.  But so far...nope.

Anyway as far as rumored tinkering goes.  Eh, whatever.  I am used to it by now.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:33 PM »
I was reading this article over at T'Bone's Star Wars Universe, which again discusses the rumors of a new box set in time for the 30th anniversary next year.  Some rumors he is hearing deal with there being some more changes to the movies themselves, although details are sketchy right now.  This might all be rumors, but I just thought I'd pass it along if interested.

Saw this posted at Snowtroopers:

SW 6 DVD release

8/24/06

Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for now.

As always, please keep in mind that titles discussed here are tentative and are subject to change until officially announced by the studios.

Stay tuned...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
*Confirmed* 2007 Release with all 6 Films *Spoilers
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:22 PM »
Found this little tidbit over at www.thedigitalbits.com

Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for now.

As always, please keep in mind that titles discussed here are tentative and are subject to change until officially announced by the studios.

Stay tuned...

So it looks like more changes on the way.  Speculations anyone?

My thoughts:

All Troopers to have Jangos voice.  We will see Jangos face underneath the Stormtrooper helmet. 

Qui-Gon will reappear in E3.  Finally explaining what the hell is going on with the Jedi disappearring acts. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:27 PM by Jim »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 2007 Release with all 6 Films? *Spoilers Possible*
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:37 PM »
I actually like the idea of a CG Yoda in Episode 1.  The puppet didn't look very good at all.

I wonder if they'd put a spirit Qui-Gon at the end of ROTJ?  Eww...I hope I didn't just give Lucas an idea.  :-\
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 11:10 PM »
Another 40 bucks getting spent on DVDs.
Also there's rumors of an IJ set in '08!
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Well I am probably going to skip this year's DVD's and wait for 07.  I just hope they include the originals on the 07 set as well  :-\

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:33 PM »
I hope these are the final sets & Lucas just keeps re-releasing these, becuase I'm starting to get sick of buying DVDs. But I have to. ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:42 PM »
i don't know how you guys do it, well i actually do. i used to get the vhs rehashs but only : 87,97,00. and 2000 was mainly because i diden't get widescreen in 97 and the boxes matched TPM. but they'd haft to practically remake half the films for me justfy the boxed set next year. or promise some kind of virtual reality format that can hook up with the set in like a couple years time....which would be pretty great....

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Well I am probably going to skip this year's DVD's and wait for 07.  I just hope they include the originals on the 07 set as well  :-\

Same here
Momar and Fester

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 1, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I would buy it.  ;D
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2006, 05:29 PM »
GREED:  You can never release too many versions of the same movie.
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2006, 05:45 PM »
GREED: You can never release too many versions of the same movie.

MARKETING:  You can never sell too many versions to one consumer.

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
The Star Wars 30th Aniversary DVD set
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2006, 04:57 PM »
TheForce.net has a Lego article that hints to a 30th aniversary DVD set, so all you patient ones who passed on the latest gouging-er I mean-release may be rewarded. I think it would be significant if they release it in May.

I hope this will be the ultimate collection, the one we've all been waiting for, but Geoge Lucas tends always to leave us wanting more.

What we want;

Episodes 1-6 special editions
Episodes 1-6 as they were originally released(anamorphic)
deleted scenes from all movies
Commentaries documentaries, and other extras

Chances are George will leave something out so we can buy it again in 2008.

Fantasy DVD set;

All the above
Holiday special
Ewok movies
Ewoks the complete series
Droids the complete series
Clone wars the complete series
Complete soundtracks for all movies
Parody clips (SNL, Simpsons, Family Guy, etc)
R2-D2 shaped DVD case
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron