Author Topic: New JD Review: Moff Jerjerrod  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Moff Jerjerrod
« on: October 5, 2006, 02:07 AM »

Clicky the button to read.

So this review of the "Endor Wave" rolls on and we're taking a look this week at probably the dullest of the wave...  That's not to say that he isn't a figure people wanted though.  Moff Jerjerrod was one of the Imperials that made many people's wishlists it seemed...  So did Hasbro do him justice?

Well, in short I don't believe they did...  In a recent Q&A it was asked by us here at JD, why exactly did you sculpt the face with a sneer, and the body with a wide leg stance in somewhat of an action pose?  Moff Jerjerrod did none of these things in the film.  He stood there, he took some **** from his superiors, he cowered a bit, but that was it.  Oh and he kneeled some.

So Hasbro saw fit to beef up the figure with a more interesting look...  I'm disappointed.  Hasbro's creative license with figures is cook when it's fleshing out what Garindan's head looks like under that hood...  Cool ****.  Or what Greedo's holster looks like...  Very neat.

But when they get fancy with a figure just because he's "too dull" for them, I have a problem with that...  Moff Jerjerrod was the PERFECT opportunity for Hasbro to make a single, fairly poseable (add some knees) Imp. Officer sculpt that is GENERIC.  Jerjerrod screams "generic".  People would've bought it in droves had it had a neutral sculpt in every way, and some extra joints at the knees.  Instant army builder for death star dioramas, instant custom fodder...

Hell Hasbro, you could've re-released him cast in black with different colors of hair and just said he's the vintage style "Imperial Commander" figure.  Slap a new head on it and you've got an even better army builder...

Anyway, read the full review...  Jerjerrod is unfortunately a flop to me, and one we'll most likely never see again.  I'd be amazed if they revisited him anyway.  I am a little dismayed they still think to go tot he "action pose" and stuff from time to time.  Didn't 2002 teach you anything guys?  Yech!

They can't all be winners folks, and this is proof positive of that.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Moff Jerjerrod
« Reply #1 on: October 5, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Gotta agree on this one for sure.  I was hoping for someone more generic and everyone knows my feelings about Articulation.

I am ok with not getting ball joined Elbows or Shoulders (although one of those would have been great)...but the wide stance and the lack of knee articulation really strikes me as odd.

I also agree that with a neutral facial expression, they could have painted his hair different colors and uniform black and they could sell it to me time and again.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Thanks Paul...

Yeah my thoughts on this figure were that, "if you really felt it was that dull a choice to put out that you had to 'improve' (and I use that term loosely) upon it, why not make the figure something you can push to the army builders through a better poseability and neutral sculpt rather than trying to make him look like a super hero".

I just don't quite get it...  I mean, I'm no toy designer, and who am I to say what's right or not, but if you'd have made this figure more poseable and more "generic" in nature, and just slapped the brown hair on him and the Jerjerrod title, you could've re-used the sculpt a number of times to resell to army builders.  Hell I'd have bought multiple Jerjerrods even.

As it stands I'll deal with one and that's it...  If I can get one on some sale I'd like to for the skirt piece and the body, but the figure falls short otherwise...  It's not good for army building.  A Boil & freeze might fix the legs more neutral but I still hold out hope Hasbro makes a truly SA (or close) Imp Officer that is generic.  It's not like they weren't involved in action in the films...

Maybe we'll get our Jeremy Bulloch Impy that way?  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Imperialscum

• Youngling
  • Soy una llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2006, 08:44 PM »
Yeah, he looks extremely odd with that raised eyebrow... ???
I bought the complete wave of Endor, so I have this figure here at home, mixed with another 30 figures from ROTJ he doesn´t look so bad, you just have to put him in the back...next to that horrible Palpatine (who returned for this wave). :-X
I think the bad part is that we might see this body with new heads in the near furure...
A fair review. I´m absolutely agree with you. It´s a shame, I love Imperial Officers...bad luck with this one.
Congrats for another great review!  ;D
Que la fuerza te acompańe!

Offline swOtaku

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 7, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I wanted this figure since 83.  The original kenner line was VERY skimpy on Imperials.  The one generic "imperial Officer" just didn't jut it.  But damn!  One of the worst faces ever.  I sadly passed this one by.

:'(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 8, 2006, 11:39 AM »

Yeah my thoughts on this figure were that, "if you really felt it was that dull a choice to put out that you had to 'improve' (and I use that term loosely) upon it, why not make the figure something you can push to the army builders through a better poseability and neutral sculpt rather than trying to make him look like a super hero".

That sums it very well. Great and spot on review. This guy could have been better.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phoenix

• Youngling
  • I'm a photonovelist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 9, 2006, 10:38 AM »
I have to disagree with you all.
I read the review a couple days ago and today got my Jerjerrod. I think it's one of the best non-clone figures Hasbro has ever made! He does look like the actor, altough the expression is very angry, but still. That was 2x15€ well spent on those two Jerjerrods! ^^
This space intentionally left blank.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Sadly,I don't think Hasbro will ever put knees on an Imperial. :'(
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 04:05 PM »
Sadly,I don't think Hasbro will ever put knees on an Imperial. :'(

What about the CT Stormtrooper, OTC TIE Crewman, VOTC Stormtrooper, TSC Death Star Gunner, VTSC Biker Scout, Evo Sandtrooper, TSC Sandtrooper, and TSC AT-AT Driver?

As for the knees, knee joints on Jerjerrod as he is would be useless, as his plastic tunic skirt would prevent him from moving too well. However, if Hasbro were to make him with a Soft Goods tunic skirt, like the Jedi Council Mace, then we'd be talking.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:07 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 07:31 PM »
I meant in the officer costume.  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 02:03 AM »
I'd prefer Hasbro investigate a flexible "skirt piece" over softgoods...  They're cool on Jedi I believe because of the coarse texturing to the fabric...  It matches up, shows accurately on the figure I think, but not so much on Imperials with their much smoother and fine looking uniforms...

Throw a pliable skirt-piece on though (cut at the sides to allow movement) and they're set I think.  When I mention articulated knees, the ability to use them is a given and implied then by the thought.

Offline Kooshmeister

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 06:06 AM »
Count me among the few people who seem to actually like this figure. Although Jerjerrod was never one of my favorite Imperial officers and certainly not one that I was clamoring to see made, I'm a completist when it comes to the Impy officers (I even have Thrawn despite not particularly caring for the character) so I had to get him. I ended up being pleasantly surprised, and I now consider Jerjerrod the second-best Imperial officer figure; first-best being Admiral Motti.

I really don't mind the wide leg-stance at all, although I wish Hasbro would quit including Stormtrooper blasters with the officers! Why don't they bring back the little officer pistols that Tarkin, Piett, and Motti came with?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 11:07 PM »
I liked the little pistol too and it even went into EU lore as an IMpy sidearm...  I liked it and would've liked it as an extra pack-in (and hands that could hold it) with Jerjerrod.

On a plus side, I've found you can boil/freeze Jerjerrod's legs in a more natural stance too...  That helps it somewhat.  Still, for $7 that's a whole lot of nothing in the packaging. ;)  Here's an ideal time for Hasbro to have given us a cool half-circle console for the Death Star, or some cargo boxes from the hangar, or...  something.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 08:25 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Jerjerrod wore black gloves in the movie & he dosen't have glove son in the figure. ::)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59 PM »
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Jerjerrod wore black gloves in the movie & he dosen't have glove son in the figure. ::)

Hey! Great point! Easy custom inspiration. Thanks!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!