Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583210 times)

Virex

Re: Rebelscumians?
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2003, 02:03 PM »
A lot of you guys have already laid it down pretty well, and I don't want to be repetitive, so, if I could channel Jim Morrison for a bit, here's my philosophy:

"I don't know about you, man, but I want to get my kicks before this whole ****house goes up in flames."

I love you, Jim.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 11:35 AM by Virex »

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2003, 02:09 PM »
I joined RS not long ago, and now I'm here thanks to JediMAC  :)

Hey DJ, thanks for stopping by to check us out!  Normally, things are nice and mellow, but as you've already seen - we have a little bit of "drama" happening right now.  We hope to soon return you to your regularly scheduled JediDefender programming!   ;)

Hope you enjoy the site, and please give us a shout if you've got any questions, comments or concerns about ye' olde JD.  Looking forward to seeing you around the boards here...

- Matt

Thanx for the welcome guys.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2003, 02:27 PM »
Well, I appreciate everyone's replies to what I said, and believe it or not, I share a lot of the same views about the current state of the site over there.

The difference is....I want to try to do something to help it, rather than keep tearing it down.  Sure, I could spend my day causing trouble for the one or two mods they have left over there.....but that wouldn't really be productive.

So, I've just reporting posts like crazy, doing the best I can as a member to try and help clean it up.

My advice is if you aren't please with the place, try and be part of the solution by doing that.....not part of the problem by doing things to make it worse.

And when I called JD a "tiny site", I didn't mean it in a bad way. The fact that this place is cozy is one of the cool things about it.  It's just not really well known yet. Someday it will be, and when it gets to the point of being as big as RS or any of the others....I hope that it doesn't have to go through all this stuff too.
Got Clones?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2003, 02:38 PM »
Wow! I never knew we could say "****house"!  :o

Here's my piece...

First of all, thanks to Chris for giving us this oasis from trolls. I truly feel at home here, and I'm glad to be able to freely discuss collecting with you guys. You're a great bunch. Thanks to Scott for inviting me to JD. I think if you hadn't, I would have just stopped posting altogether.

I don't go to rebelscum anymore because not only do the boards take an eon to load for some reason, but it really has become a GiaNT crap-sandwich. I don't like dealing with people who don't have an ounce of respect, and people who make their post-count the defining factor of their life (cough...GNT...cough). I used to really like 'scum for a while after the BHC/'Scum merger. But it seemed like around Episode 2, it just started to slide.

Before that I belonged to the BHC forums and the old Yakface forums. Neither place felt as alien to me as the 'Scum forums have in the past six months or so. To be honest, I almost prefer the slower pace here, and there are hardly any transients, trolls or scam artists to deal with.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2003, 02:41 PM »
It's been a sad state there for a long time...
Though the best thing to do is watch it crumble... and it will. I know some may feel an attachment to the forums being old CSW members... but I think some take it too personal. It's something many were a part but over time things eiter get better or fall apart... we obviously know what happened in this case. If they do fall apart though you pick up and move on... beating a dead horse is just that.

Unless you co-owned the forums w/ Mr. Sullenger then really it was just a place (like JD is) to hang out...
I know many won't go there but I'm not known to be Mr. Quiet... Mike is a big part of "CSW and the old school days" turning into the garbage it has. Michael had big dreams that his little merge would've really been for the best... even after some of us told him otherwise at Toy Fair 2002. But hey it was his thing to do as he wanted...
It just sucks that now he's gone off to do yet another thing and had to leave back a community which is now in shambles... To take it so personally though is really not worth it...

I was always amazed by the Scum zombies when I was there... Anyone that remembers my thread w/ Curto knows what I mean. For some people Rebelscum can do no wrong whatsoever... and that just amazes me.

I was banned twice for my opinions basically... yes I had my things w/ some members and even a mod there... but in the end it was because of my opinions (trolling to them) I was banned.

I've been in this game for quite some time now.I have been a member of the Trade Fed (once SWCU) for a good 5 years. There was a time we had people on the list that would take any leads and run w/ them on their own. I remember countless times where news I reported on on the mailing list would turn up on SGG, Scum, etc sometimes just mere hours later. Stuff like this has been happening for years but most people never knew...
It seems to be more in your face now though w/ the forums, etc. Beyond the forums the whole site thing is about more politics than any average reader would think... or believe. It's a cut throat world out there...
My point of all this is that there are "far more" important things to worry about for some than "some forums"...
Working the next big scoop or stabbing the next mans back is a much more important time consuming activity.

Though on the flip side the forums run array and they lose the loyal readship base... but hey who cares right?
At least we got the newest scoop ou there...

I do remember a time when Scum was a respectable site and one held in higher regard... I think that unless you have the zombie fever that is far from the case now.
I have heard many people discredit them and this thread shows a lot of resentment itself in their letting the forums disintegrate into thin air...

Really there's not much left you can do... You voiced your opinion and still it goes on... I think moving on is just the best anyone can do.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2003, 02:48 PM by Jimmy »
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2003, 03:21 PM »
I've been going there for some time, but I've had it with the place.  I don't find it conducive to collecting to spend any time at the RS forums.  I can't remember when I found something worthwile there in helping me collect.  Oh, wait, it might've been a lin

Some of the folks there are just downright rude, or don't have any point to make whatsoever.  That, or some of the discussions get too involved and too heated.  Especially when some members there start seeking personal information about the people they're having discussions, arguments, or disagreements with.  That kind of activity is not only uncalled for, but troubling as well.  It's happened in my case, and should I hear of more of such activities, I will be forced to take some measure of action.  However, I've yet to see their mods do much of anything.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2003, 07:26 PM »
It was the Episode 2-bies that ruined forums.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2003, 08:56 PM »
It was the Episode 2-bies that ruined forums.

Kevin
Well, the older members said that about the Episode 1-bies, as well. I remember it because I was one. I think it's unfair to throw everyone into a barrel like that, but I have to admit - it's somewhat true.

The problem with Rebelscum lies mainly in the fact that the moderators have no respect for anyone.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2003, 05:06 PM »
I gotta get this off my chest.

Anyone with "JediDefender.com" in their signature is representing JediDefender, the site, and its forums, especially if you're including the word "Administrator." Think otherwise and you're kidding yourselves. Perception is reality, and the perception is that JD.com is sending its "troops" over to RS to stir things up.

You don't like Rebelscum, don't go there. The hypocrisy of a troll-free site whose staffers regularly insult another site's moderating team on their own turf is more than I can take.

I'm pretty sure that if a RS staffer started spamming Watto's Junk Yard with 30 or 40 new threads, knocking our established threads to the second or third page, some wouldn't be too thrilled about it. (Especially if he had "Visit Rebelscum.com!" in his sig.)

On the inside, this is a warm, cozy little place, a censored safe haven free from troll-friendly hot topics. On the outside it's a bunker, pitted from shots regularly traded back and forth between staff members and forumites. It's looking less like "Cheers" and more like a high school cafeteria. Like it or not, you're wearing the same varsity jackets, fellas. You're representing our school.

I'm not happy with the way the RS forums have deteriorated either. GNT aside, the moderating crew seems part-time at best, especially at Wuher's it would seem. Perhaps if a more seasoned crew were to offer their services, order could be restored. But then it's easier to be part of the problem than the solution.

I've tried to ignore this, but after spending some time reading what's being posted by those associated with JediDefender.com, I had to say my peace. The behavior of those affiliated with this site reflects poorly on ALL of us. We should be setting the bar, leading by example.

This forum needs to rise above itself before it dares compete with any others.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2003, 05:22 PM »
John

Extremely well said, I took Jimmy's advice to heart and have left RS behind...It's not worth it to me to get worked up about and there are better ways to spend my time.  I've seen the light and your words ring all to true.  Thanks...

« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 05:26 PM by OCB »

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2003, 05:29 PM »
I'm now going to say my piece.

I am going to speak for myself, and only myself right now. I express my feelings at RebelScum in a "less than conventional" manner these days, because they can't seem to get it through their heads that they have many problems, and do nothing to correct them. We have GNT running around doing whatever he wishes, newbies flooding the forums with worthless posts, some of the newer "regulars" post padding like there is no tommorrow. Does anything happen? Nope.

I feel a certain attachment to that board, for what it used to be at Collect Star Wars. IMO, the older members have a right to express their displeasure with the site and the administration, and this has already been done in the proper way. I suppose some would say, it was time to prove a point, and that point was proven.

Now, though I am over this, as I have stated in previous posts in this thread, and that I will no longer try to get the administration to see the light because JediDefender is what my focus is/should be. If RebelScum can't cut it, JediDefender will. I hate to see that board go down, but it has, and I can't do anything about it.

Up until recently, I have been very much against any of my staff doing some of the things that have taken place recently. A large number of my staff have been around for a long time, and as I said, I feel that it is acceptable for the older members to express their views in more extreme ways, if needed. Now that I look back at what has occured, yes, I do regret some things that took place, but I feel that it proved a point, if nothing else.

This fiasco is now over with the JediDefender team, our grievances have been vented, points proven. We can not salvage the old BHC forums. It is time to completely move on, 100%, JediDefender is the total focus.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 05:37 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2003, 06:07 PM »
I pretty much act the same at Scum now as I have in the past...  Just in a lesser capacity.  I don't post nearly like I used to...  Topics I've seen posted, reposted, and reposted yet again just don't interest me anymore.

I mostly hit up Saga or the Customs to just check things out...  And of course I post a snippit and link of my reviews as they crop up here at JD.com to each of the "Major" sites as I see them (Scum, and GH.com).  I did work for Scum in the past, it's an ok staff to talk to...  Especially Mark and Dan.  Dan's actually someone I consider a "friend" and if you know me, you know I don't keep many friends around here.  Partly because Dan works for FFURG.com where I'm also a staff member.  He's a nice guy, and his intentions for the site are of the best nature.  He just offended some.

Scum's not what it once was in the forums though.  They let certain members post over and over about the same things.  Making fun of the handicapped and people they consider "beneath" them seems to be an AOK behavior over at Scum that I just simply feel is disgusting.  How can you be allowed to actually say a whole group of people (Oh, like say retail employees) are beneath you and are scum of the Earth, and NOT get banned?  Then to repeat it over and over (Or OTHER things about OTHER groups of people), and STILL not get banned just shows a lack of caring about your site and the content/people who are visiting or posted within.

Am I bashing Scum?  Maybe...  But to me it's a simple task of better moderation.  I remember Dax being the most level-headed guy, and cracking down on people (Even me) to "break it up".  He was always civil, and even would privately let me know his personal feelings on the "flame war" that he was separating...  I just wish that before the split they maybe would've done some cleaning house at the forums because a lot of the trouble makers weren't new.

Sure a few are...  Many weren't though.  

Scum is alright, and I still stop by daily, but I just don't have the desire to be involved in many of the topics, or to associate with many of the people.  And again it boils down to the lack of policing of the boards over there.

Around here it's not as necessary right now, as more show up I'm sure it will become more necessary.  

GH.com I hop into once in a while too, and it's pretty tame...  A couple people there who I regularly agree with and like to read their posts.  Oddly, Shabbyblue was a guy I USED to not always agree with, but now I find I do tend to have a similar opinion which is odd.  How things change and all...

Anyway, Scum's alright...  The traffic is it's greatest asset though, and their customs forums are the adopted FFURG.com forums, so I do like the traffic there and try to look in and see who's doing what.  That's a big part of my hobby though...

When I want to talk collecting though, I'm finding I like to read the posts here first and foremost.  And the general topics section here is definitely more tame and I feel it's 100% better to either GH.com or Scum at this point, and I hold GH.com in pretty high regard.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2003, 07:55 PM »
Online forums go bad. It cant be helped.

Take ol' InGenNet for instance...for you JP collectors, you'll know what I mean, and for those who dont try and follow along. InGenNet was THE place to be in the JP community, it had it all, collecting, movie discussion, artwork, all that grand stuff. Then the staff started to slack, and it went to hell. Its closed to this day, altho some one DID try and resurect it. I still have the dead link in my favorites as a memory.

Consider the Scum as you knew it the Golden Age of The Republic, and now its becoming...a must old narsty cantina...or...not.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2003, 02:23 PM »
We have decided everything is out in the air, this thread is breeding no good will and pretty much everything has been said.  Point taken...hope things change over there for the better :)  And maybe I'll come back someday with a new outlook

So locked ;)

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2004, 03:23 AM »
This thread really deserves a link, this is great humor by Kneel Before Zod.

If anyone reaches it great then I'm proud of you, some achievement. Theres more important things to talk about other then post counts like "Tha Shizzolator" or "American Idol Reject Earns Instant Fame" instead of turning this thread and site into a "mine is bigger then yours" contest between members.
-quote GNT in a Rebel Scum thread.

-Henrik
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 02:26 AM by Henrik Wulff Rasmussen »
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.