Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 586806 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #3795 on: September 22, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Or invite your VA friends over here.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: September 23, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Fair enough...it was more of a rhetorical complaint. The flip side of living in MINN would be all the increased competition looking for new stuff in the stores. It would be nice to be part of an actual SW community though.

I do like this site. I actually find it more robust than the other handful of sites I can access here at work.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: September 23, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Fair enough...it was more of a rhetorical complaint. The flip side of living in MINN would be all the increased competition looking for new stuff in the stores. It would be nice to be part of an actual SW community though.

I do like this site. I actually find it more robust than the other handful of sites I can access here at work.

We generally don't compete with each other for the most part - it's more of a congrats to who scores what first.  We're good at helping each other out with pretty much any toy line that any of us are looking for which is pretty awesome.  Nice to have dozens of eyes out there at multiple stores so you don't have to go driving all over town.  I'm sure there's plenty of others just like you in VA that just aren't part of the online collecting community - or they just don't care to be.

Glad you like the site!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3798 on: September 23, 2009, 04:37 PM »
I don't know what part of VA you're in but the DC Star Wars collecting society is a fairly big group I believe.  At least comparable to the PSWCS Bill Cable runs...  The problem then is, are they in your area or not, haha.  The Pittsburgh contingent is smaller than basically anywhere East of us.   :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54 PM »
...the PSWCS Bill Cable runs...

If by "runs" you mean "rules with an iron fist."  Forcing us into driving halfway across the state every couple of months, having to look through other people's collections, sell and trade toys, play games for prizes and eat food and endless snacks...   ;D

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: September 23, 2009, 10:21 PM »

We generally don't compete with each other for the most part - it's more of a congrats to who scores what first.  We're good at helping each other out with pretty much any toy line that any of us are looking for which is pretty awesome.  Nice to have dozens of eyes out there at multiple stores so you don't have to go driving all over town.  I'm sure there's plenty of others just like you in VA that just aren't part of the online collecting community - or they just don't care to be.

Glad you like the site!

Agreed.  Mike and I shop at the same store(s) in MN and frequently help each other find stuff, as well as the rest of the crew.  There are more than enough toys to go around.  If it weren't for the MN crew I would have spent significantly more money on my collection over the years.  Since I joined the MN crew a few years back I haven't had to make a purchase on eBay to fill a hole in my collection due to a hard to figure or exclusive.  I did the same thing when I lived in Kansas City.  Hopefully you find a VA crew to help you as well.  Makes collecting much easier.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: September 23, 2009, 10:22 PM »
You're all welcome to drive to MN and hang with us once a month.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3802 on: September 24, 2009, 12:19 AM »
...the PSWCS Bill Cable runs...

If by "runs" you mean "rules with an iron fist."  Forcing us into driving halfway across the state every couple of months, having to look through other people's collections, sell and trade toys, play games for prizes and eat food and endless snacks...   ;D

E...

I meant "runs", like in the, "he punches babies and scalps ****" kind of context, but yeah.

j/k of course...  at least about the scalping part.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3803 on: September 24, 2009, 07:37 AM »
I don't punch babies... I slap hos.

DCSWCC is a great group.  The prez just sent out a press release, and right now they have almost 60 dues-paying members.

PSWCS has almost 370.  Not bragging, just saying.  We're helped by not having dues.  Maybe 20% of our members would qualify as "active."
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: September 24, 2009, 11:59 PM »
Why do members of the DCSWCC pay dues?

And who deactivated 80% of the PSWCS?   :o

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3805 on: September 25, 2009, 12:14 AM »
I'm guessing themselves.  I'm not the most vocal but I'm a member and more of a lurker/reader.  My activity isn't huge, but I try to make the Summer Social when it's out this way, and I try to be active with the group's promotion and things locally.

My status as an active member is so-so since I'm not talkative on the list then.  I try to do my bit other ways though, especially when there is a booth during the Toy Show out here and such.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: September 25, 2009, 01:08 AM »
Why do members of the DCSWCC pay dues?

And who deactivated 80% of the PSWCS?   :o

I think the Ohio club charges dues also.  PSWCS is pretty laid back.  We've managed to raise the funds to run the club through fund raisers rather than dues so we haven't really needed them.

Most of the people on the PSWCS listserve don't post but I see names pop up when we do fundraisers or sell Tshirts or the Operation Ward 57 medallion this year.  I think they mostly use the list as a source of info on when toys are hitting and where, info on sales and that sort of thing. 

But honestly, I really don't know what most of the lurkers get out of it.  It's attending the meetings and the social or going to events that make the club what it is IMO. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3807 on: September 25, 2009, 02:50 AM »
Yeah, the meetings make the group...  The Pittsburghers are few and our meetings are more sporadic and usually limited to our local toy show, but we have  a good show for get-togethers so that's always a plus for us.  Most of us just do a casual meeting locally we plan here if we're going to do one... 

I try to recruit locally as best I can, but I honestly rarely run into another adult around Pittsburgh looking for toys that I don't already know.  I know a couple guys who scalp, so they're not ideal candidates in the organization or I'd probably ask them...  One guy I know knows of the PA group but had this vehement argument as to why he can't be part of an organization that won't let him make cash off the things he finds and things, and how he'd be a big help to everyone in the area...  I didn't argue with him, just kinda said how the group's pretty casual and just a fun bunch...  I got nowhere, which made me think he maybe tried signing up at one time and it didn't go well.

Part of the Pittsburgh area's problems though are the hardcore guys have dropped out of the hobby.  Hasbro's made some so angry they just quit.  Tough to blame them.  I'm glad they try to hang out at the meetings though, and get together.  Hell, Bill F. and I made our trip to the Winter Classic and I wouldn't have done that without meeting him through the group...  I've been fortunate to make a lot of friends through the PSWCS.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: September 25, 2009, 10:52 AM »

PSWCS has almost 370.  Not bragging, just saying.  We're helped by not having dues.  Maybe 20% of our members would qualify as "active."

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... You mean to tell me that, not only do we share a birthday, but we're both from Pennsylvania as well?   :o
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3809 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30 AM »
You didn't know Cable's from PA?  He's shameless with whoring the PSWCS!  :-X   :-*