Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583159 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #4005 on: March 12, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I liked that they had a story up about Hasbro laying off employees but nothing about their own layoffs.   :-X  For some reason that just made me chuckle.

I looked but I can't find a single thread in any of their forums where it is even being talked about. Are people that terrified of the Mods over there?

Classy thing to do would have been to at least put a brief blurb up thanking him for his contributions to the site over the years and all the hard work he has put in on their behalf. Guess that was too much to ask...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 13, 2012, 08:12 PM »
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1078910-3/

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1071207-397/

I fully expected that kind of reaction from Greg(g).  The folks over there are nothing if not predictable.

The thing is, I look at the content that's coming out of RS now and compare it to Curto's work, and it's enough reason for me to not check that site for news.  He was the person who was generating the best Hasbro SW news over there.  Other people on the RS staff are just regurgitating press releases from companies like Sideshow.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 13, 2012, 08:58 PM »
I agree. The news has gone downhill fast. The only thing that is good is the photo archives. I use their photo archives to screen scrape information into my toy database. Now that Dan isn't around anymore, the archives will fall apart too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24 PM »
So I just stopped by the RS main page for the first time in a while, and I checked out some new photo archive pics. WHOA.  The quality of the photography has already gone downhill since Curto's departure.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25 PM »
So I just stopped by the RS main page for the first time in a while, and I checked out some new photo archive pics. WHOA.  The quality of the photography has already gone downhill since Curto's departure.

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Curto.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45 PM »
If only JD had a photo archive as extensive as RS.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 30, 2012, 11:53 PM »
I get that feeling, too.  Based on my own conversations with him, I think he needed some time off.  But there could also be a delay in the return of Curto to the online collecting community.  I know of at least one site that has their staffers sign a no-compete contract.  And given the scale of RS in the community, I think it's entirely possible that he may have had similar circumstances.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 31, 2012, 08:21 AM »
I don't think you have to sign a non-compete unless you're getting paid, right?  My understanding is that he had been back at "volunteer" status for quite some time...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:17 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 31, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Depending on where he lives, a no-compete contract is uninforceable. A guy has to be able to make a living.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #4015 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44 AM »

And the archive has taken on the CTR format.  ::)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: April 1, 2012, 04:12 AM »
According to a Twitter update today, Curto appears to be completely unemployed.  But no, he hasn't worked for RS for a couple of years now.  I don't know if they paid the bills on any of his trips, like to TF or not, but he wasn't on the regular payroll as far as I know. And honestly, would you really sign a no compete contract to work for a hobby website?  There aren't any trade secrets in reporting news.

I could see, maybe, a nondisclosure agreement with Hasbro because he's sometimes been in the know on some stuff, but what's he going to take if he left RS for here, for example?  I could see a contract where any work he produced for RS was property of RS, so he wouldn't be able to take his photo archive pics somewhere else, but not being able to just go and create new work or post new news?  I don't know, maybe some people are paranoid enough to think that way...still, these websites aren't what I'd call big business.

The photo archives over there....way behind, and have been.  And now, they're suspiciously Canadian in flavor.  Plus they're not linked back to the checklists anymore.  I don't even know how to actually get into the Movie Heroes photo archive, I haven't found a direct link to it from any of the menus or other sections.  I guess you have to wait for a new update?  Or track down the old one?  Whatever.  Place is falling apart over there.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: April 1, 2012, 11:53 AM »
And honestly, would you really sign a no compete contract to work for a hobby website?  There aren't any trade secrets in reporting news.

That was my first reaction too.  Signing an NDA to work for a website in the nerdverse seems somehow appropriately nerdy.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4018 on: April 1, 2012, 02:21 PM »
Paul had us sign all kinds of contracts.  The burden of working for a lawyer.

I tried leaving once and a Uhaul was outside for my collection in a matter of minutes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4019 on: April 1, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I lawyered up with Sprry...that was the worst mistake of my life as in the event I quit, I actually have to pay into Paul plus I have to work at Sandtroopers.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2012, 02:33 PM by Scott »