Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 586139 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: How long has that damned RS been down?
« Reply #1725 on: August 17, 2005, 01:51 PM »
Actually, the membership and posting have been steadily increasing since late last year...each month is a new record for posts, hits, etc

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #1726 on: August 17, 2005, 01:53 PM »
According to the stats, and what we've seen, the traffic hasn't changed much at all, actually.

Here I was hoping it was going to spike things up. Give it time, the day's not over yet.

Actually, the membership and posting have been steadily increasing since late last year...each month is a new record for posts, hits, etc

Just think how high it would go if you deployed the Browser Cookie idea?   ;)
Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1727 on: August 17, 2005, 01:58 PM »

Yeah, I just meant that it hasn't changed dramatically (or even slightly) since RS went down, as Josh seemed to be implying there.  I edited in another blurb to the end of my post above too...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 17, 2005, 02:13 PM »
here at JD we prefer quality over quantity.  It's really that simple.  That's not some kind of excuse for us having less posts than RS.  That's just a factual statement that the posts here, in comparison to RS, are 100x more intelligent, mature, friendly, knowledgeable, respectful, etc.

I think I should avoid ever mentioning the fact that I wish this site was "bigger", because a couple of you guys always take it as some sort of insult.   Every time I drop by I'm reminded of the quality of this site compared to some of it's counterparts out there.

Shortly afterwards, I'm reminded of the lack of quantity when I run out of new posts to read in about 2 minutes. 

So yeah, usually when a topic like this comes up and I'm prompted to comment, and 5 seconds later I always wish I never did.   I need to remember that and just shut up in the first place.   You guys think I'm knocking this place, when really I'm just wishing more people would find it. :P

But yeah, if you need massive amounts of revolving posts full of newbie and idiotic horse**** to keep you entertained, then RS is definitely the place.

Yes...I guess both aspects  are important to me, and that's why I suppose I wish I could get them all in the same place.  RS used to be that place for me, and I still enjoy frequenting that site the most........but it's not nearly the "all day hangout" it once was.   

The interesting topics in Wuher's are getting fewer and more far between these days, and while I still believe it to be the best collecting site on the internet.......I always enjoyed the social aspect of it just as much.   These days, it's quite lacking in that department, as most of the more mature posters have moved on.

There....that was almost "bashing" Rebelscum.  is that a little better?  :P
Got Clones?

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #1729 on: August 17, 2005, 02:32 PM »
 8)
I only visit the props & other collectibles threads over there, and am tired of reading all the whining & complaining, or "what's so and so worth?".  You have to sift through quite a bit of garbage to get any useful info or intelligent discussion.

There are better places to spend time. That is as nice as I can be about this subject. ;D

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 17, 2005, 03:04 PM »

Shortly afterwards, I'm reminded of the lack of quantity when I run out of new posts to read in about 2 minutes. 

No offense, Josh, because I know you're a great guy (I wouldn't have my C3 Vader without you and Matt working together to help me out), but either I'm dumb as a post or you're a speed reader because it sure takes me longer than that to catch up on the latest action going on here. 

Yeah, we certainly do encourage quality, as Matt stated.  But we've also grown incredibly in the last year, just like Scott said.  And thankfully those members have been intelligent posters that prefer more than a 3 word response.  So to me, we've got quality and quantity.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 17, 2005, 03:11 PM »
but either I'm dumb as a post or you're a speed reader because it sure takes me longer than that to catch up on the latest action going on here.

I think I am guilty of being a speed reader, it's true.  ;D

And thankfully those members have been intelligent posters that prefer more than a 3 word response.  So to me, we've got quality and quantity.

Yup.  I agree on the quality part.  I always used to like the fact that there aren't a lot of "What's your favorite cereal?" threads over here. I just have too much ADD I guess.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 17, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Interesting take, JediMAC, and I agree with the "quality over quantity" point of view.

There have been several times when newbies on RS have come into a thread, posted a bunch of crap in answer to a question and gotten snotty when called out as being wrong.  And they always point to their 2,000 posts in a month as why they aren't "newbies" and why they "know" the answers to everything.  I'd rather take the advise of someone intelligent with 50 posts in 3 years than some dickhead with 5,000 posts in 3 months...but that post count seems to be the only important thing on RS anymore.

The other thing that I dislike about RS.com is how forum members were yelling "fake" and "rumor" when GalacticHunter was breaking news on Hasbro releases for this fall.  Their argument was how could they be real because RS.com hadn't broken the news or posted on it yet.  Well, the answer is simple, I don't think RS.com really has anyone "in the know" that posts news to the front page.  Curto may be the exception, but I'll take info from Adam, Mike, Pawlus and the "Swami" over most anything RS.com posts.  And have you ever read any of the answers in the Question Mark column?  I think a prerequisite for doing a Q&A section should be someone that at least dabbles in the hobby they're writing about...

There are a lot of things I don't like about that site but they have very active forums, the vintage section is incredible and the area reports sections are great.  The checklists and photo gallery isn't bad either.  And even though the modern boards are full of a lot of tools, sometimes it's fun picking on them just to piss them off.

E...   (who could be pissing of RS.com members lurking here...but doesn't care)
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #1733 on: August 17, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Welcome aboard, efranks, and welcome (back?) Daigo-Bah!

Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline sfg

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 17, 2005, 03:14 PM »

And thankfully those members have been intelligent posters that prefer more than a 3 word response.  So to me, we've got quality and quantity.

Yup.  I agree on the quality part.  I always used to like the fact that there aren't a lot of "What's your favorite cereal?" threads over here. I just have too much ADD I guess.  :)

Cap'n Crunch.

:)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1735 on: August 17, 2005, 03:27 PM »
There....that was almost "bashing" Rebelscum.  is that a little better?  :P

Yes.  Thank you.  :-*

The bottom line is that we've got the second most active Star Wars collecting forums on the net, behind only RS, so it's not like nothing is happening over here.  We just don't get 50 posts of dribble per minute, that's all...

But yes, I'll agree that RS has got a great vintage community, and some good quality posters in the Other Collectibles and Props sections, which should go without saying, since that's where the money is, and it's usually the "older" folks who have the disposable income to dabble in such collectibles.

I do actually like Mark Hurray, who does 'Scum's Q & A though.  I've chatted with him on several occasions, and he's good people.  As for GH, yep, we definitely like those guys over there, and never question their news either.  We usually try to have JD/GH get-togethers whenever there's a convention in town that we're both frequenting.

As for checklists and image databases, we've recently been kicking some solid ass on those, as we've got some new blood that's taken over in both areas - Tydirium behind the lense, and JesseVader08 and his OCD on the checklists.  Both are vastly improved now, and I think are very much on a competitive level with much of what the other sites have to offer.

Bottom line is that when Mike split back off of RS, and made GH, 90% of the adult collecting community bailed then, or shortly thereafter, to here and/or over to GH (except the vintage gang).  No more "veterans" left over at RS anymore really.  Josh is about as "veteran" as they come there now, and he's even relatively "new" in my books.  I can probably count on one hand the number of recognizable names over there anymore.  Just a bunch of faceless, anonymous names and personalities over there, who couldn't give two ***** about eachother.  Not really a "community", I would say.  Just a giant posting machine.

And if there's one thing that's important to me in a forum, it's the community feel, where people actually know eachother, are friends with eachother, hang out together, etc.  Much more fun that way, when you're discussing stuff with your buddies, and not a bunch of anonymous people who are mostly just out for themselves...

- Matt

P.S.  Welcome to JD finally, efranks!  BTW, we'll need a "real world" name for you though, since this is first name territory 'round here.  Good to see Greg's butt back over here too!  One of the few original JD invitees that didn't stick around as much as we'd hoped...  ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:30 PM by JediMAC »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 17, 2005, 03:34 PM »
[Shortly afterwards, I'm reminded of the lack of quantity when I run out of new posts to read in about 2 minutes. 

When you run out of new posts to read, create some new ones!   :)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 17, 2005, 03:42 PM »
- Matt

P.S.  Welcome to JD finally, efranks!  BTW, we'll need a "real world" name for you though, since this is first name territory 'round here.  Good to see Greg's butt back over here too!  One of the few original JD invitees that didn't stick around as much as we'd hoped...  ;)

Ah, my name is Eric Franks.  I forgot to put that in my sig.  I'll update that in a couple minutes. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: August 17, 2005, 03:43 PM »
The bottom line is that we've got the second most active Star Wars collecting forums on the net, behind only RS, so it's not like nothing is happening over here.  We just don't get 50 posts of dribble per minute, that's all...

I honestly had no idea about that.  I always figured it was TFN, RS, then maybe GH, Sir Steves after which JD and the other guys would fall into line.

When you run out of new posts to read, create some new ones!

Like "what's your favorite cereal?"   :D
Got Clones?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 17, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Does anyone go to TFN anymore?  Honestly, I've been to that site maybe twice since PW took it over and overhauled the entire thing.  I think it's ugly and hard to read.  It used to be my number 1 stop for SW news that didn't relate to collecting.  Now, worthless.

I used to post on the GH forums but found that the RS forums were a little more active so I stuck there.  But GH is one of my first stops for collecting news every day.

E...