Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 588683 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #2625 on: January 18, 2006, 09:55 AM »
I don't think that Rebelscum as an entity has started supporting scalping or something.  I think there are a lot of people there (myself included) that still believe in "Collect to Collect".

The problem isn't with the philosophy.  It's simply that they don't have enough good moderators left to shut down every instance of scalping that pops up there. I still report posts when I see them, and I have a feeling if everyone else did too.....those people that think it's ok to do that would eventually get the hint and leave. 

I specifically started two threads in the feedback section regarding RS's policy on scalping in both the collector threads and the classifieds. Both threads were never addressed by the administration. They weren't even locked. Since most issues are dealt with swiftly and decisively, I think this says alot.

I think it says that, on the surface, Collect to Collect is something that they believe in and suport. However, the scalping issue has become so insurmountable, and so common, that they are either too overwhelmed by it or too afraid to openly condem it for fear of loosing too many members.

All in all, Josh, you hit it on the head, it'a all in the moderators. I have never, ever seen one moderator step in a specifically say that scalping talk is frowned upon, and when I report scalping talk, I never see the issue addressed. I think that says a lot about the moderators as well. That said, I'm sure an increase in scalping outrage would cause a policy change, but given the current climate, I don't think there's nearly enough support from the community. :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:54 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2626 on: January 18, 2006, 02:05 PM »
All in all, Josh, you hit it on the head, it'a all in the moderators. I have never, ever seen one moderator step in a specifically say that scalping talk is frowned upon, and when I report scalping talk, I never see the issue addressed. I think that says a lot about the moderators as well. That said, I'm sure an increase in scalping outrage would cause a policy change, but given the current climate, I don't think there's nearly enough support from the community

Yeah. I guess it's up to the members to try and continue to fight against it.  I still do, by reporting it when I see it, and that's all I can do.  When I was a mod, I fought against scalping pretty hard.  I watched those classified ads like a hawk. Unfortunately, I also fought against things like the post count and the "Durges" of the site....and that made me not as popular.  I just wanted to clean that place up.   Still do actually......and every once in awhile, I miss those padlocks.   ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2627 on: January 18, 2006, 03:05 PM »
All in all, Josh, you hit it on the head, it'a all in the moderators. I have never, ever seen one moderator step in a specifically say that scalping talk is frowned upon, and when I report scalping talk, I never see the issue addressed. I think that says a lot about the moderators as well. That said, I'm sure an increase in scalping outrage would cause a policy change, but given the current climate, I don't think there's nearly enough support from the community

Yeah. I guess it's up to the members to try and continue to fight against it.  I still do, by reporting it when I see it, and that's all I can do.  When I was a mod, I fought against scalping pretty hard.  I watched those classified ads like a hawk. Unfortunately, I also fought against things like the post count and the "Durges" of the site....and that made me not as popular.  I just wanted to clean that place up.   Still do actually......and every once in awhile, I miss those padlocks.   ;D

I'm a little sick of the post counts as well. Some members who have only been there for 6 months now have Moff status (not like it matters) because they post pad so much...a certain post padding "Commander_____" comes to mind (he tried to secretly get me banned for no reason while being nice to my face before so screw him).

The test area should be renamed post padders zone. Take a look there, and you will see the same regulars doing the same "tests". I've brought this to the attention of the staff before and was told not to worry about it.

For what its worth, it was a valiant effort JoshEEE.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:13 PM by Victor_Von_Doom »
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: January 18, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I'm a little sick of the post counts as well. Some members who have only been there for 6 months now have Moff status (not like it matters) because they post pad so much...a certain post padding "Commander_____" comes to mind (he tried to secretly get me banned for no reason while being nice to my face before so screw him).

I could not agree with you more.  I don't give a crap about what my post count is and most of the upstanding members (of any board, this isn't just an RS problem) don't care either.

It's the people that pad their count in an attempt to gain legitimacy rather than gain it through posting relevant and intelligent information. 

Mattkatandicanthitthepostbuttonfastenough is a prime example.  I've seen where he tried to use his post count as a reason why his incorrect answer to a question should be accepted as fact.  When proved wrong he dismissed it and argued that he was a "respected" member and then proceeded on to the second method of trying to become relevant; name dropping.

There's a new guy over there now following the same methodology: high post count = knowledge.  Yet, by the questions he asks and the answers he gives it's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dresden

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: January 18, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Post counts only prove that certain people have more free time than other people... coughcoughDarth_Raynecoughcough ;)

Sorry buddy, I had to take the shot.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: January 18, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Post counts only prove that certain people have more free time than other people... coughcoughDarth_Raynecoughcough ;)

And you can go **** yourself!
  ;D

Offline Dresden

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: January 18, 2006, 04:46 PM »

And you can go **** yourself!
  ;D

I will... in your cubicle!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2632 on: January 19, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Mattkatandicanthitthepostbuttonfastenough is a prime example.  I've seen where he tried to use his post count as a reason why his incorrect answer to a question should be accepted as fact.  When proved wrong he dismissed it and argued that he was a "respected" member and then proceeded on to the second method of trying to become relevant; name dropping.

That reminds me E, of the time I saw him post something to (how does he call it?  A "newb"?) someone over there one time.  KitKatFlimFlam told this new guy something along the lines of, "You've only been here blah blah, and you should learn to respect the people who've been here longer".  Yes, the same guy who just celebrated his first year there openly, was talking down to some new guy about seniority.

This is also the same guy who basically tried to put down every OLDER person in time spent at that forum for calling him on all his various bull**** posts, his random trolling of forum members, his flaming insults, etc...  The guy lives in this world where time and space only applies to the universe as he sees fit I guess, and in this little world he's the "senior" guy everywhere somehow, and feels HIS seniority demands respect...  Not that he should respect HIS "elders"... 

And let's get to the meat of this...  You earn respect, you don't get it by the number of years you've spent on Earth, or at a toy site.  If you're a respectable person you get respect, and if you're a total ******bag, you get treated as though you are.  His little badge could be 20 colored blocks wide over there, and **** up the way the page is viewed for all I care, I still wouldn't give him an ounce of respect till I saw him behave like something other than a prick.  If you can't show to me that you can interact with people WITHOUT picking a fight all the time, talking down to others, turning a simple disagreement into mudslinging insults, then I'm sorry but there's no respect being earned or deserved there.  MatKat could've created Rebelscum and I'd still feel this way.  I don't care how "senior" he feels he is.  He's got some years of growing before he sees this light I'm afraid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: January 19, 2006, 01:03 AM »
When proved wrong he dismissed it and argued that he was a "respected" member and then proceeded on to the second method of trying to become relevant; name dropping.

That's absolutely classic.

I can't think of 3 people over the age of 10 who'd consider him a respected member of anything.  Nevermind that he registered just barely over a year ago and has yet to find his first quality post.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:50 AM by KBZ »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2634 on: January 19, 2006, 01:42 AM »
I wonder who's name he dropped?  I missed that, but yeah it's funny to think about it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:43 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: January 19, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Along the same lines, you guys might find this amusing. A few months ago, Jimbo was just doing his thing, getting in, complaining about peoples attitudes, opinions, knowledge, etc. I can't remember the thread, but every other post was just him beratting various people. It went on for pages. Finally, some realatively new person stood up and said something to the effect of, "who the hell are you anyway?" and started to lay into him, in a really intellegent way. Then, everyone else started chiming in with "yeah!" It was awesome. Jimbo went away.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: January 19, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I'd like to invite Mister Kenobi back to continue our discussion from last time.  He's called out several people in the Rebelscum Photo Album thread and I think that it would only be appropriate to discuss it in a place where he can actually see the replies.  Since I'm on ignore and he can't see posts from me over there.

Here he calls efranks 'thick'

Just like efranks - that guy is too thick to understand t

Here he calls me a ******bag and makes some disturbing masturbatory comments:

JoshEEE, I would be all over that, but some douchbag would save my picture and photoshop it like some 13 year old obsessed fan and post it all over an anti-rebelscum forum so they could all touch themselves while they view it as well. Oh wait a sec... that's right, Kneel_Before_Zod already did that

Here he has the nerve to call me a web-stalker despite knowing a hell of a lot more about my life than I do about his:

Hey it's not that I'm offended by it or anything. I'm not embarassed by the way I look in the least or anything like that, but it's a little unnerving to know that people are that hung up on me that a 25 year-old graphic designer living in a 2-bedroom loft in Dallas has no more important things to do than that. It's also a little depressing to see how some people spend their time. Rob would fare well working for the National Enquirer. Makes me glad I'm moving back east this week. At least I'll be more than 2 hours away from my web-stalker

By the way, I'm not really a graphic designer - I work on motion graphics and visual effects.

Also, I don't photoshop this stuff when I'm at home, I do it from work.  I've got lots of important things to do, but when I'm at work I manage to pencil in the 5 minutes to have a little fun with photoshop.

So please come back and talk with us - you mention me repeatedly over there knowing that you can't see any replies.  It's lame, even for you.

All of this can be found here:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=1266087&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=7
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 12:28 PM by Rob »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2637 on: January 19, 2006, 12:21 PM »
So Kenobi got drunk off his ass and puked all over himself at CIII? Man, I'm almost embarassed for him.

I don't think I've done that since Junior High.

Offline CaptainAlex

• Jedi Initiate
  • It's the final countdown.....
    • View Profile
    • Captain Alex & the Shrimp Shack Shooters
« Reply #2638 on: January 19, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I'm amazed over his amount of posts in a years time. Sadly when I see a post by MK I tend to skip it because it usually involves an insult, a setup to a pending insult, a slam, a retort, or an outright flame.

Living and dying in 3/4 time....

Offline Dresden

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: January 19, 2006, 01:04 PM »
I look at it like this, a lot of people that post on internet forums are complete and total **** ups in real life. We live in a country that is full of complete and total **** ups. We also live in a country where people are socialized to not think of themselves as a total **** up, but rationalize it as something else, albeit, they're depressed or oppressed or repressed or some such psychological idiocy where they can placate themselves into believing they're not really **** ups, and maybe if they talk enough **** online, some other idiot out there will think they're cool or something. I say "something" because I really don't know what anyone could be going for under such a premise. Albeit, I *love* to be a dick sometimes, and cause trouble, but at least I try to have a valid point when I'm doing it. I also enjoy good old fashioned rhetoric, but that only works for so long before  you get called a d-bag or something. Why is douche censored on here? If they can say ******bag on national TV, what gives? Bueller? Anyone? So, yeah, back to my original point, people are ******* retards, and people like being retards on the internet, and since RS is one of the first search results on Google for "Star Wars Toys", it ends up being a magnet for the aforementioned phenotype.

So yeah, basically, if your life is ****** and unfufilling and you're a total **** up, that attitude follows you on to the internet. They need to do SOMETHING that makes them feel big in the pants. When success fails you in real life, get on a forum and declare being a carded collector makes you akin to Jesus. :)