Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583221 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum.. is it just me??
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2004, 06:45 PM »
I enjoy their diorama section. A lot of nice (not to mention talented) fellows in there.

Otherwise, meh...I like the atmosphere here.

Durge

« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2004, 07:35 PM »
The only things about RS that I find to be "better" than JD are:

-Vintage Community
-Other Collectibles Community
-Prop Community
-Customizing Communtiy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2004, 10:36 PM »

-Vintage Community
-Prop Community
-Customizing Communtiy

I'm pretty sure blasphemy such as this is grounds for dismissal under the Jedi Defender Superiority Decree.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2004, 10:57 PM »
JD could definitely use a more dedicated prop crowd, as well as other collectibles. Should we start recruiting? Let's start by NOT recruiting a certain little stone.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Durge

« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2004, 11:10 PM »

-Vintage Community
-Prop Community
-Customizing Communtiy

I'm pretty sure blasphemy such as this is grounds for dismissal under the Jedi Defender Superiority Decree.

"Uh-oh!"
-Peter Griffin (Wish Upon a Weinstein)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2004, 11:24 AM »
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the RS forums: I registered for the RS forums before the CSW absorption took place, and reregistered there when that occurred.  In the five years or so I was registered there, I made about 45-50 posts total.  By way of comparison, since I've been on JD's boards, I've made almost that many posts in the last six months.  I'm a veteran of the old Usenet rec.arts.sf.starwars.collecting* newsgroups, and to say that Usenet was much more friendly and mature than RS's boards is really saying something.

I just didn't get any feeling of community with RS's boards.  It all seemed like one big pissing contest with nobody being all that willing to help others out.  On RASSC, we pretty much all knew each other on some level (or at least knew of each other), it was very communal, and even if we didn't care for a particular person, there was still a mutual respect.  I made some lasting friendships from RASSC, but when the great newsgroup split proposal failed in 1999, I made my exit.  I still keep in touch with many of those people, but the newsgroup as a community pretty much died.

With RS, as I said, it's more about "my dad can beat up your dad", if that makes any sense.  It's all about "RS just put up photos of something a guy in Timbuktu found in a yard sale...f**k you, other SW toy sites!"  Or, in more recent cases, and not a direct quote, "JD has had a report about who an exclusive figure is for the last week, but since they're not a 'reputable' website, we're going to ignore it and act like it's news only when *we* post about it!"  As someone else in the thread said earlier, it does have the feel of a cafeteria in high school, with people doing everything in the world to undercut everyone else. To quote the films, and cement my nerd status, "there is no civility, only politics."

(at this point I made some rather inflammatory comments about certain moderators whose name ends in one or two "G"'s, but to avoid any problems, I have deleted that portion of the original post)

As for moderators and site admins, that's another reason I don't go to RS anymore.  After the mess with the TFN boards (how did that work out, by the way?), I'm done patronizing Philip Wise's sites at all.  I went over a few minutes ago to see what had happened to the RS forums (I hadn't seen the changes that had been made) and just started laughing.  I still remember Wiseacres.com, Philip; way to sell out the entire fan community you claimed to love so much.   :P

As for other sites, I take my hat off to the fine folks at JD, Yakface, and GH.com.  You're all doing fine work, and you should be proud.  RS, may you fade into obscurity and be forgotten completely.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 08:34 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Oh and about the mod accusation... I don't want to be moderator,

I've found in life that it's very easy for one to say that one does not "want" a job after one "applies" for it and is rejected.  ;)

Sorry, but blatant dishonesty bugs me a bit.

Anyhoo.....I've read through this thread (as I always do) and suppose my response is the same as it always is. I really like this place a lot, and I like that place a lot too. I obviously balance the majority of my posting over there....but I do visit here quite often.

As far as collecting goes, RS still benefits me the most because of the traffic it gets to the classifieds, look what I found and trading sections. It's just unreal how fast you can get responses to certain requests.....and tons of Seattle-area collectors help each other out over there. I've tried to start Seattle threads on other boards, but for some reason....we're just all based at RS.

As for the off topic chat sections, yeah...I totally agree there is a much more mature theme over here, and that's why I pop by and just read even if I'm not posting all the time.

Sure, there are a lot of silly topics and discussions that run themselves into the ground, but that's going to happen at bigger places. It would definitely be nice to have a higher active moderator to member ratio (especially so I don't have to be the dick that closes every lame thread down when it gets reported), but ultimately that's not up to me.

That....and I still love the fact you can say "ass" here.  ;D
Got Clones?

Durge

« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Oh and about the mod accusation... I don't want to be moderator,

I've found in life that it's very easy for one to say that one does not "want" a job after one "applies" for it and is rejected.  ;)

Uh....when was this?! ???

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2004, 04:45 PM »
To be fair, I think that was back in January.....and I'm sure a lot could have changed since then.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 04:46 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2004, 04:52 PM »
Durge, you have made a few comments that I find to be pretty inaccurate. If you are going to bash GNT, make sure it is intelligent. Saying that he is the "biggest jackass" because he never posted in the religious and political threads is just stupid. If you want to stay out of a flame war (in most cases), you're a jackass?

Your coming over to this site thinking you are some in house name is somewhat annoying with the backup of not-so-intelligent posts that you have already made. A little bit more respect in your posts would make more sense.

Josh, thanks for coming and stating your thoughts, always nice to have someone who can balance and not be a fool. I do want to comment though, I think it is a cop out to say because Scum is a large(r) forum that it is too hard to moderate at times. Scum fails in the forum dept. as a whole (IMO) because the adminstrators can't make solid decisions and implement them.

Thanks ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 07:05 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Here! Here!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 13, 2004, 05:07 PM »
I only visit RS for the main page news and the photo archives. I no longer post in the forums because the members act like babies, and for just about every reason listed already. Plus, I HATE the new look.

JD is the only SW forum I post at now. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Durge

« Reply #462 on: June 13, 2004, 05:33 PM »
Durge, you have made a few comments that I find to be pretty inaccurate. If you are going to bash GNT, make sure it is intelligent. Saying that he is the "biggest jackass" because he never posted in the religious and political threads is just stupid. If you want to stay out of a flame war (in most cases), you're a jackass?

You're coming over to this site thinking you are some in house name is somewhat annoying with the backup of not-so-intelligent posts that you have already made. A little bit more respect in your posts would make more sense.

Josh, thanks for coming and stating your thoughts, always nice to have someone who can balance and not be a fool. I do want to comment though, I think it is a cop out to say because Scum is a large(r) forum that it is too hard to moderate at times. Scum fails in the forum dept. as a whole (IMO) because the adminstrators can't make solid decisions and implement them.

Thanks ;D

Yeah, I thought the same thing so I deleted the post. No need to be rude about it.

Offline SWcollectorDUDE

• Youngling
  • Http://allsith.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 13, 2004, 06:27 PM »
Well I think scum is kinda cool, but lets be honest most of them are just jerks.  I mean who runs the place a 60yr old rich guy.  I mean he cares about nothing but hsi money.  Most forums care about losing a member even just one, but they enjoy banning their members.  It's not just you but it's also annoying when you go to make a post, and thre is only posts from each day.  With such a large community it is a pain in the ass to search for a thread you made under a week ago.  I honeslty don't post too much, but I do have another forum over this one.  I just joined I hope people here are nicer then scum, and not to cause trouble but galactichunter has a lot of mean people who start flames.  Sometimes not funny just immature.  I go to another forum but I won't even post a link here I don't want to take members away from this site.  Not that it would most site just don't tolerate any links.

Offline SWcollectorDUDE

• Youngling
  • Http://allsith.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 13, 2004, 06:31 PM »
To be fair, I think that was back in January.....and I'm sure a lot could have changed since then.  :)
Scum has been up since 95 so 9 years and only changes since january?