Author Topic: General Casting Questions  (Read 30099 times)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Re: General Casting Questions
« Reply #75 on: October 8, 2006, 11:46 PM »
Any you guys have suggestions for a type of clay that would work good as a place holder for two or more part molds? Need something that wont interfere with Silicone or Urethane mold cures and will not clump/stick to the origional part excessively when trying to remove it to pour next stage of mold.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
« Reply #76 on: October 9, 2006, 09:32 AM »
I use a product called Kleen Klay that I purchased from Micro-Mark. The 1 pound block I purchased over 2 years ago is still good. I use it, put it in a ziplock baggie when finished and re-use over and over again.

Mike
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #77 on: October 9, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Cool!
Thanks! That is a definite on my list of things to get on payday! I made the horrible mistake of using sculpey (at a lack of anything else) and it was hell getting it off the parts and was a mess. (fortunately I wasnt using silicon mold making material when I did that...)
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: October 9, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Straxus,

What you do when using Sculpey or whatnot is mix up vaseline w/gasoline...  You basically thin the vaseline down to a really thin mixture.  You wipe it on then as a barrier between the clay and the mold rubber.  It works like a charm...  I use Sculpey 3 then for 2-part molds because it's easy enough to find and cheap in my area.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #79 on: October 9, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Wouldnt the gasoline ruin any paint that might be on the origional peice? Not that its a huge concern but more a curiosity.
Either way thanks for the info!

As I was just waking up as I read your post I was wondering if you were giving me a formula for "Sculpey Napalm"...hehehe.