Author Topic: 30AC #20 Stormtrooper  (Read 35880 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC #20 Stormtrooper
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2007, 06:28 PM »
Wow, I'm kind of shocked at the seeming vitriol for the 30AC Stormie.  Since the last five I've found have seemingly had the waist looseness issue corrected, I'm beyond thrilled with it.  Different strokes to move the world, I guess.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2007, 03:18 AM »
I'm not disappointed myself...  Was just mentioning in the "how many ya got" thread there, that I got 2 this weekend and am overall happy.  There's little things wrong but nothing I'd consider a deal-breaker on it.

The biggie is the head's size for the helmet.  The head is just too small for the helmet it seems and a little annoying then with how the helmet rests on the head, and things.  It sits too low.  While I know there's complaints on the helmet's sculpt, I consider it "good enough" more or less.  I'm not a Stormie helmet sculpt expert though so while I knwo there's differences between the 3 films and all, and this one may not be perfect, it seemingly serves its purpose to me.  To have the chance at SA clean while Stormtroopers, I'm happy then.  Plan to slip some different headsculpts on there though and hopefully get the helmet issue fixed up a bit then so it sits better on different heads.

I don't know on the height yet, I've yet to take the time to compare my 2 to other stormtroopers and figures.  The height thing might be a little frustrating to me but we'll see how big the difference in height is.  If it's a gap like the new DST's height issue is, it could be distracting.  And at least the DST is fixable with a little slicing and hole drilling.  Getting a figure TALLER is not so easy.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2007, 03:38 AM »
The biggie is the head's size for the helmet.  The head is just too small for the helmet it seems and a little annoying then with how the helmet rests on the head, and things.  It sits too low.  While I know there's complaints on the helmet's sculpt, I consider it "good enough" more or less.  I'm not a Stormie helmet sculpt expert though so while I knwo there's differences between the 3 films and all, and this one may not be perfect, it seemingly serves its purpose to me.  To have the chance at SA clean while Stormtroopers, I'm happy then.  Plan to slip some different headsculpts on there though and hopefully get the helmet issue fixed up a bit then so it sits better on different heads.

I'm doing the same thing. The OT purist in me believes none of these troopers are Jango clones anyways, so it works out for the best. I did a qucik swap with the Comic 2-Pack Luke while I was fooling around and it sits MUCH better. All of my troopers are going to have some Regular old human heads at some point.

Wow, I'm kind of shocked at the seeming vitriol for the 30AC Stormie.  Since the last five I've found have seemingly had the waist looseness issue corrected, I'm beyond thrilled with it.  Different strokes to move the world, I guess.  :-\

I'm in the same boat here DP. I'm personally a big foan of the figure. The Tantive version doesn't really do it for me. Don't get me wrong it is still a real nice figure but the lack of waist articulation on that figure, as well as the Sandtrooper belt, really kind of killed it for me. I'm fine with just my two of those for now unless they go on clearance.

Personally I can overlook the slightly warped helmet. I've notice mine have it in varing degrees some are barely noticeable, while on others the distortion is slightly more obvious but still isn't overwhelming. Correctly painted nozzles would have been nice, but IIRC these have been messed up on other Stormtroopers as well. If they really start to bug me I'll repaint them myself. A lot of my later troopers do seem to have tighter torsos as well which is a relief.

I'm only at 4 right now but I think I'll pick this one up everytime I see it. It is cheaper than VOTC, and also has more of a pure white plastic.

Oh and Jesse, the height seems about right to me. The trooper is about VTSC Han's height without the helmet. I think I may try and shorten some of mine a wee bit to add some height differential to my ranks. Being that these guys ARE NOT clones. :P
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Speaking of the head sculpts, does everyone's look possessed with misprinted, high positioned pupils? All of mine do.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Speaking of the head sculpts, does everyone's look possessed with misprinted, high positioned pupils? All of mine do.

Beats me.  In my home at least, the helmet isn't actually removable.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2007, 11:22 AM »

I really haven't complained about any figures in quite some time, so this is just one of those rare times over the past couple years that I've found reason to question Hasbro (about figures they've made of course, the other times I do complain are usually about things they won't make; ie playsets, large vehicles).  Glad that some people seem to be pleased with this figure.  Enjoy!!

:P

Offline mrbelvedere

• Youngling
    • View Profile
TAC Stromtrooper + VOTC Luke helmet fit question
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Hey guys,
I have read that the TAC Stromtrooper helmet will fit over the Comic Luke head but not the VTSC X-Wing Luke head.  Does anyone know if it fits over the VOTC Luke head?

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: TAC Stromtrooper + VOTC Luke helmet fit question
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2007, 08:39 PM »
They are all the same heads ::)

Offline mrbelvedere

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2007, 08:55 PM »
That's what I thought, but I saw actual pictures of the TAC Stromtrooper helmet fitting only halfway down the VTSC Luke head.  Has anyone here actually put a TAC Stromtrooper helmet on a VOTC Luke head?  So far, I haven't found anyone who has, I've only heard from folks who actually tried it on the Comic head.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2007, 10:53 PM »
Yes it works.

Offline mrbelvedere

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2007, 04:54 PM »
I just got this one and opened it. Yeah, I know I'm behind the times with this, and it really isn't anything that hasn't been stated before, but I can't help but chirping in with my disappointment regarding this figure. Maybe you do or do not know, but I'm a big fan of all things Stormtrooper, so this figure's lackluster appearance is a big letdown. That helmet, well, it's too damn big! The figure also seems to be a tad bit shorter than the VOTC Stormie (even at the shoulder). And I think having Jango's head is unnecessary, to say the least. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2007, 09:25 AM »
The helmet is too big especially when compaired to the VOTC one, but scale wise, I think it's closer to the right size than the VOTC one.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I like the scale of the #20 Stormy. I was hoping the Hasbro would do the Luke in Stormy Disguise using this sculpt and the Han in the VOTC sculpt. It would be a little more accurate IMO, but what do I know.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2007, 10:37 AM »
I don't know if the helmet is too big as much as the helmet just isn't the right shape.  Especially from the profile view.  Looks pretty crappy dead on as well.  Just a pretty **** job overall from the neck up.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda