Author Topic: 30AC #20 Stormtrooper  (Read 35895 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New Stormtrooper?
« Reply #90 on: January 2, 2007, 06:39 PM »
eh, knowing hasbro they wouldnt care about scale. in the second wave they'd just throw votc luke's head onto votc stormy's body.

And paint his hair dark brown or black, since they can't decide on a color for the poor Jedi in training's hair.

I think in one of the Q & A's (painfully and selflessly archived by Matt) the big H mentioned that they would not rescale the body for Luke.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2007, 07:57 PM by Paul »

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 2, 2007, 07:50 PM »
count me down for 8 of these guys
Momar and Fester

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 2, 2007, 10:22 PM »
I picked up the Comic Pack Han Solo/Chewbacca set the other day, and I have to say that the Stormtrooper helmet is really bad compared to the VOTC Stormtrooper helmet... the Comic one seems to be "fat" and less defined in the sculpt... which worries me a lot about this upcoming Stormtrooper.  I really hope the helmets on this upcoming Stormie are better than the Comic version.

;)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 2, 2007, 10:40 PM »
Chewie, do you have the OT TIN Sandtrooper removable helmet?  How does it compare to the Han one?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 2, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Yeah, I do.  I can try and take a pic to compare them when I get a chance (maybe tonight).  What seems to be the main difference from memory though is the helmet from the tin seems a little bit taller/more narrow.  I'll try and get a pic up though after dinner!

;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 3, 2007, 03:48 AM »
Here you go Paul -

VOTC Stormtrooper, Comic Stormtrooper, Tin Stormtrooper -

Comic Stormtrooper, Tin Stormtrooper (I put a Tin Stormtrooper body for each one to show only the helmet differences) -

This one is in black and white in case the colors of the Comic Pack one are distracting -

To me at least, the comic one is not as defined of a sculpt... it's like its cheaper made or something... and the colors certainly don't help.  The other thing is that is doesn't have the little stripes running alongside the "cheeks" of the helmet.

Hope that helps some!

;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 3, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Interesting. Setting the color scheme aside, I thought the comic pack one was better quality than the tin one. I'll have to re-examine that.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 3, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Well it's really just the helmet that I think is lacking on the sculpt.  It's not terrible, I just don't think it's as good as it should be.

;)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2007, 09:25 PM »
new stormtrooper in 2008 too, it seems, according that otheR Site.  :o  ???
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC #20 Stormtrooper
« Reply #99 on: June 2, 2007, 04:41 PM »
Opened this one up this morning, and I am very pleased.  This figure seems to be built primarily on the VOTC Stormtrooper "chassis", but with the obvious modifications that come with the removable helmet and trooper head underneath.

IIRC, the gripes in this thread centered around the helmet.  And after seeing this figure in person I can see where some of those gripes come from.  It seems as though one detail might have been giving people a little bit of a hangup.  I noticed that there didn't seem to be a gap between the eyes and the black band around the crown of the helmet on the figure.  So I did some digging around and there seems to be a level of inconsistency in the Stormtrooper helmets in the movies.  Just look at some of these images.  They're not consistent.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #100 on: June 2, 2007, 04:54 PM »
The location of the lens of course isn't the only discrepancy with the Stormie helmets. The mouth grille is different from helmet to helmet with ANH having the biggest gap. Some grilles are black the entire length, some only half way.

As for the figure itself, I currently have 5 of these guys and overall I'm pleased with them. I think they used a  softer plastic on the limbs or at least the joints as they are not as stiff as their VOTC counterpart. I was not happy with how low the helmet sits on the figure so what I've done is turn the Clone head around and put the helmet back on over it, now the helmet sits as it should. That makes a world of difference for these guys.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 2, 2007, 06:50 PM »
The black band around the helmet right above the eye lenses is a communications antenna, and is mobile.  That's why some have it close to the lenses, and others have it closer to the forehead.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: June 3, 2007, 04:26 AM »
I picked up 4 of these guys tonight. Other than a few with slightly warped helmets I think my biggest concern is how loose the damn torso is on these guys. Mine feels like it is about to break off, and it is hard to position it without it moving. I noticed Darth_Anton's (the first oen I ever saw open) had the same problem. I think I may go for 36 of these guys, all of which will keep thier helmets on, or have the clone heads swapped. :P
« Last Edit: June 3, 2007, 04:29 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 3, 2007, 10:07 AM »
I popped two more open last night. I've decided that the Helmet hangs too low. I also noticed that the right hand has a looser grip. This is a good and bad thing. Good because it can now hold other weapons, bad because the weapon it comes with sits loose in the hand. :P

I'm still undecided on how many I'm going to pick up. Anywhere between 14 and 41.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 3, 2007, 01:36 PM »
I too was bothered by the looseness of the helmet, so I came up with a super easy fix. I just jammed some wax into the top of the helmet. Then I squished the helmet down until it completely covered the trooper's head. Now, not only is the helmet nice and tight, he does not look like he's shrugging, plus he's a wee bit taller!

« Last Edit: June 3, 2007, 01:39 PM by Kill_Solo »