Author Topic: Previews Exclusive Death Star Briefing 7-Pack  (Read 85853 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Previews Exclusive Death Star Briefing 7-Pack
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2006, 09:42 AM »
Interesting thing in the Q & A answers from the other sites (THANKS MATT)...

When asked about knees on future Cantina Aliens the answer from H was:

"And yes, knees are important for Cantina guys especially when they were seated on screen."

Perhaps the Death Star Conference table is less of a table and more of a Tall "Bar" type thing like one would find at a Hooters...

Do they realize they contradict themselves with every answer?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I think you can chalk it up more to poor choice of words. The could have easily said something about the fact that there are bar stools for the cantina figures to sit on, unlike the Imperial officers in that there may be no plans for a table and chairs.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I'm just gonna have 'em standing around in a circle on my Vintage Death Star Space Station anyways... except Motti... he'll be on the floor choking....

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I agree Paul...

Fans getting spanked for $7 a figure should get you some knee joints on even the most unimportant characters, but alas we know how that goes these days.  I love the set for what it is, and the price is better than basic figures, but considering it's almost all just re-used molds besides the heads, I think some knees and pliable skirt pieces would've been in order...  Hell I think they could've offered removable kepi's with a couple of them (Bast of course, Tagge and Motti I think could've used some, and a black one for Wullf maybe).

Had they done a new poseable leg sculpt, they could've given a pair to Tarkin and had him look a bit more accurate than repainting the ROTS figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2006, 09:38 PM »
Interesting thing in the Q & A answers from the other sites (THANKS MATT)...

Do they realize they contradict themselves with every answer?

yes, yes I do, and that makes the QnA's more entertaining than informative.  ;D  8)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: November 6, 2006, 11:20 PM »

clicky me for a big ol' image of these Imps

Three things still come to mind:
- I would have liked dark pants on Wulff
- I would have liked hats (where needed)
- I really would have liked knees

I'll still buy it though because they are not that bad... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #141 on: November 7, 2006, 12:36 AM »
*Look at Motti, and then look at the other guys, and you can really see how much better the likenesses have gotten over the years.  That's impressive stuff.

*Yeah, the two guys on the ends would have looked much better with caps

*What's with the goofy, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial-esque pointy fingers on the left hands of Colonel Henrik Wulff Yularen and Tagge?  Are those recycled from some other figure that I'm forgetting about, or are they new?

*He's M.I.A. in the photo, but I'm still pissed about Tarkin, and will continue to be until Mr. McFoulstench gets a proper resculpt.  (Yes, I'll be pissed for many, many years to come.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 7, 2006, 09:26 AM »
I really can't disagree with any of the complaints, but I think the face sculpts on the new figures are just outstanding.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 7, 2006, 06:44 PM »
That pic there is great!  I agree at how much Motti stands out (in a bad way) from the others.  Damn, those likenesses are are pretty film-accurate!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 7, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I really can't disagree with any of the complaints, but I think the face sculpts on the new figures are just outstanding.

yes, im impressed too but i am not buying this set.  :-\  :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: November 8, 2006, 03:40 AM »
Everything said pretty much mirrors my thoughts as well...

-Bast and Yularren should come with caps...  I can't believe we got Bespin Guards with removable hats but not one Imperial yet actually.  The fact Bast is seen with and without though, is why he should have had a removable kepi for the first time, then just re-use the damn thing with other officers in the future.  God knows Veers could've used it since his helmet bows outward due to the corner-cutting method Hasbro ran with.

-Yularren's pants bug me too...  It's a misconception he's in all white despite seeing some customs like that.  Some of his ISB comrades are seen in the halls wearing black jagdpurs and black kepi's so it would've been great if we'd gotten that from Hasbro on this figure, but it's a more minor gripe of mine I think since the figure isn't seen from the waist down.

-Knee articulation on these figures is I think warranted, especially given Hasbro's answer that it's important on Cantina aliens if they were sitting...  Well Hasbro, so were all of these dickheads save for Vader, so yeah knees would've been nice (and again, re-useable on future figures, even a Death Star Trooper, so there ya go).

-Tarkin is a whole lot of suck that he didn't get a new headsculpt.  Hell, a new head on the same body everyone else is using would've been more acceptable than the ROTS figure repainted.  Besides the inaccuracies of the costume itself in the pants and boots, the headsculpt was never meant for old Tarkin so it doesn't look right just repainted.  Blah!

Those are just my gripes...  Oh and I thnk non-Clone weaponry would've been cool too since Hasbro's Officer pistol has made it into the EU as "official" even, and who doesn't want more E-11's really?

On the positive, the colors look really nice on all figures and I gotta say that these are some of the BEST human likenesses...  Hasbro's been getting better at that, or just having a good stretch, because on the current End-boo wave of figures there are some really incredible human likenesses.  The black and white Endor Troopers for instance are spot-on IMO, and the Naboo schmuck is one of the best human sculpts for accuracy in a LONG time.

Bast in that set is my favorite.  The likeness is outstanding.  Tagge's a close runner-up with his trademark Ceasar haircut...  Good work on those.

It's a neat way to get some obscure officers, but I think Hasbro could do better given that sets like these are hardly costly to them in the first place.  The parts are almost all re-used, so why not throw us a bone with some new legs, that extra new head for Tarkin, and just happen to make it that bit better for the fans?  Eh, I guess obscurity satisfaction will just have to be the main positive on these.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 8, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Not a bad set at all, really. The Tarkin, Motti, and Vader suck, but I'm buying this for the other officers. It looks to me that besides new heads and hands, Hasbro just used the Jerjerrod upper body and used Ozzel's legs.

Motti needed this formula for this set. That POTF2 figure is soooo out of place. It's tall and unarticulated. Yuck.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #147 on: November 8, 2006, 02:55 PM »
I am with you, I would have preffered a new Motti Head. Its bad enough we get the Tarkin repaint but the Motti is so dated and larger than the other guys. Better than nothing I suppose. Its a shame no imperial officer has bendy knees. The colors look a tad on the green side.

What also bugs me is the voting over at Rebelscum, Hasbro can at least freshen up the colors of the next GH asst. Straight repacks from the 90's just dont cut it. Meet us halfway Hasbro please. Like the real elections, I am not excited about any of the choices up there. The pit droids are the only enticing choice, I have 3 of them already and would like all the varients. Whoever got the sandtroopers up there will already be getting one of them in the upcoming Tantive 5 poop blast pack.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 8, 2006, 03:33 PM »
Tantive V poop blast
   :D 

Non-articulated knees is the only thing holding me back from ordering a set.  Granted, this set is ten times better than the previous Previews set (the Bounty Hunters) but the shortcuts are still outnumbering the positive attributes.

« Last Edit: November 8, 2006, 03:34 PM by ruiner »

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 8, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Well, I hate the grainy little ozzel and the way they tried to make it so detailed.
Clone Commander Appo.