Author Topic: Prices for recirculating VOTC  (Read 7482 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
Prices for recirculating VOTC
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:18 AM »
It's been two years since the VOTC figures came out, and as everyone knows, they've gone mostly without reprint; C3PO in the ROTJ commemorative DVD collection (which ironically, as a set, cost just as much as he did alone), R2D2 reprinted without his accessories and with a glued-on hatch, the Stormtrooper partially used then completely reprinted with modifications as the Evolutions and TSC Sandtroopers respectively, parts of Han reused/retooled for the VTSC Trenchcoat Han, and Luke's ugly head reused on the VTSC X-Wing Pilot Luke.

That said, people hoard these. Madly. Many people love to army-build with the VOTC Stormtroopers and it seems to be common that each one now costs $30, even loose- a 300% price increase over the original.

Looking around on ebay, as I have in the past, I find the prices to be consistantly high. VOTC Chewbacca is, at cheapest, $15- more commonly $20. Han, Leia, Obi wan, and Luke seem to  start out at some nice price like $7 and usually hike up to $15 (or more) by auction's end. R2D2 and mysteriously C3PO seem to hold similar prices to Chewbacca; high. Lando is usually about $12-$20, and he's supposedly still pegwarming (not anywhere that I've ever found, though sadly). Anything with Vader's name on it on eBay has an automatic excuse to charge $10 over anything that could ever sort of be reasonable. These are just my observations looking around in the past and recently.

So my question is, what should someone usually expect to pay? eBay is awful for ridiculously high prices- I see the DVD commemorative collections being sold for $30, POTF2s individually going for $15-$30 for stuff like a loose Jedi Luke- prices that are, frankly, ridiculous. Is there a better way or place to buy the VOTC figures? What's a good deal on any of these?

I bring this up because I'm contemplating buying a Chewbacca soon (as in possibly tonight/tommorrow, maybe) for $15.50 counting shipping- on "buy it now," at that. It's the best deal I've managed to find on eBay. I'm just curious to see if those who have more experience have any insights about buying these at this point in time, in general.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 12:21 AM by Mitsukara »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Prices for recirculating VOTC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 07:37 PM »
$15.50 shipped sounds like a good deal for Chewie. It's roughly retail + shipping. I don't think you'll find a better price, certainly not by "tonight/tommorrow". ;) If there's any figure worth $15.50 shipped, it's the amazing VOTC Chewbacca!

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Yep, I haven't sent the money order yet (missed getting it out today.... really need to get it done tomorrow in time to go out with the mail that day), but I went ahead and did the "buy it now" thing last night. :) Really looking forward to it; my best-articulated/sculpted Chewbacca so far is still my Millenium Falcon Mechanic Chewie. Kinda sad, really...

I've more or less decided against buying an episode III Chewie unless I find one really cheap, and then I'll use him either for an episode IV Chewie or actually display him with prequel figures. I managed to find a single review, which basically said his articulation is okay (as it looks) but his head is super-loose because of the "wookie rage" action feature. What I really wanted was the VOTC Chewie anyway, so I think I've made the right decision.

It's also good to know that is the best price I'm likely to find him at. Thanks :)

So, what kind of prices do the others usually go for?

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07 PM »
I don't know exactly what the others go for, but checking closed eBay auctions is about as accurate a gauge as any. I hate to even look at what the Stormtrooper sells for... You know, you might also be able to find someone who'll sell you an Early Bird Chewie pretty cheap, since the sets clearanced out real low. That's a wonderful fig, being the VOTC body and a new head (closed mouth, combed back hair). ROTS Chewie is horrendous. The articulation stinks, and the stance is lame.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Ah... okay, thanks :) I could never really tell from the pictures quite how good the figure would be in-hand.

I would love to get an early bird Chewie, but figured they were expensive/uncommon by now. Maybe I should scratch that bit about "leaving" and post a new, shorter wants list....

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Yeah, VOTC is way to expensive on Ebay.  ::) A Fett normally is $20, I want one so bad but he's losing the stupid Fan's choice to a POTF 2 figure. I'm disgusted at the people who voted Kyle Katarn.  ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 09:14 PM »
I hate to suggest spending $20 on a 3 3/4, but you should grab one. He's an awesome figure. Just be careful not to break his little arm cable.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 05:00 PM »
For the record the Evolutions Sandtrooper isn't the VOTC Stormtrooper at all.  No parts were shared/re-used on that one.  It's a completely new sculpt.  The Sandtrooper Saga figure is a bit of a misnomer too...  The torso at least was resculpted but I do believe the rest is just re-used stuff with stamp changes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Yeah, VOTC is way to expensive on Ebay.  ::) A Fett normally is $20, I want one so bad but he's losing the stupid Fan's choice to a POTF 2 figure. I'm disgusted at the people who voted Kyle Katarn.  ::)

WWWWTF!!!!????
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 04:27 PM »
I've been noticing how crazy some of the prices can get for some of the original 12 VOTC figures these days.  I've really been wanting to pick up an extra loose VOTC Han Solo (as well as some others from that initial run), and they usually get up to the point where I feel its too much to pay for a single loose figure.  I was bidding on a VOTC Han just this weekend, and once it got up to $13 I thought that was too high, it ended up over $16, plus shipping.  I had bid on some others from the same seller, and they all got pretty high - Luke=$14, Leia=$12, Yoda=$10, all loose.  I really hope that one of those rumored Target UBPs this year does indeed include the Han, Luke, and Leia - it would almost be cheaper at this point to just buy the $50 battle pack :).  In some cases, it seems like the carded versions actually go for cheaper, depending on the figure.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 09:27 AM »
I kind of surprised to hear that. Who knew there would be any type of demand?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."