Author Topic: The "Final 22"  (Read 120997 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The "Final 22"
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I wasn't sure if these would be on this year's cardbacks, or next year's "30th" ones - but I figured since they are supposed to be out in 2006 they might belong here.  I was just looking through some of the slide show pics at the various sites, and noticed this one at RS.  Is that a repainted VTSC Biker Scout as BARC Trooper?  Maybe my eyes are deceiving me.  Looks like a new/retooled AOTC Padme too, maybe using the Droid Escape body with a non-screaming head?  Could be some nice clone repaints on our way the rest of the year, as well as the Wal-Mart exclusive figures.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The "Final 22"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:08 PM »
I still can't believe that they are throwing 22 repaints/repacks at us to end the year.  The clones are nice, but where's the "new" new stuff?   ???

The Good:
Saga-057 Clone Trooper (442nd Siege Battalion)
Saga-058 R5-A1 Imperial Astromech Droid
Saga-059 Clone Trooper (5th Fleet Security)
Saga-060 Clone Trooper Sergeant
Saga-062 Battle Droid 2-Pack
Saga-064 Commander Appo
Saga-065 BARC Trooper
Saga-067 Darth Vader’s Astromech Droid
Saga-074 Mace Windu’s Astromech Droid
Saga-069 Clone Trooper Engineer

The Bad:
Saga-053 Darth Maul (Sith Training)
Saga-054 Chewbacca (Cloud City)
Saga-055 Kit Fisto
Saga-056 Holographic Commander Cody
Saga-061 Super Battle Droid
Saga-063 Holographic Obi-Wan Kenobi
Saga-066 Yareal Poof
Saga-068 Padme Amidala
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak
Saga-073 Aurra Sing

The Ugly (aka: if it was sculpted pre-1999, just let it go):
Saga-071 Nabrun Leeds and Kabe
Saga-072 Labria
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Some of the repaints are not that bad. Here is my take on some of the figures on the BAD:

Saga-055 Kit Fisto (good sculpt and great fodder)
Saga-056 Holographic Commander Cody (OK and cool that he still has a removable helmet)
Saga-061 Super Battle Droid (Clones need something to shoot at, but would have been better if had more articulation ::))
Saga-066 Yareal Poof (good sculpt and great fodder)
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak (OK and great fodder)
Saga-073 Aurra Sing (cool idea and great fodder, but could have been better with a resculpt ::))
Saga-071 Nabrun Leeds and Kabe (OK and great fodder, but could have been better with a resculpt ::))

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37 PM »
Why didn't they at least repack a Grey/White SA Coruscant Clone Trooper?

Here's my list

The Good:
Saga-064 Commander Appo
Saga-065 BARC Trooper

The Bad:
Saga-055 Kit Fisto
Saga-066 Yareal Poof
Saga-068 Padme Amidala
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak
Saga-073 Aurra Sing

The Ugly (aka: if it was sculpted pre-1999, just let it go):
Saga-072 Labria

I can't believe they are rereleasing POTF2 figures...Padme and Aurra might be on the cusp, the Holo figs don't bother me

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 11:57 PM »
My list, which differs from all of yours...

The Good:
Saga-064 Commander Appo
Saga-065 BARC Trooper
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak
Saga-072 Labria

The Bad:
Saga-055 Kit Fisto
Saga-066 Yareal Poof
Saga-068 Padme Amidala

The Ugly:
Saga-073 Aurra Sing

And now to explain myself.

The Good:
Any Astromech repaints are always good, and I'm happy to see some new, unique ones coming. Appo is good because it's basically the SA 501st trooper we should have gotten last year. The Battle Droids may have goofy paintjobs, but I find them decent, and I need Droids for my CIS army, so huzzah. SA BARCs, need I say more? And while you guys may hate the POTF2 Cantina repacks, I never got them the first time around, so I'll be glad to buy them for my ever growing Cantina!

The Bad:
First, Padme and Yareal could end up being good, but they're rehashes, and don't meet the standards here in 2006. Cloud City Chewie and CW Kit Fisto are good figures, but suck by 2006 standards. And while I WILL be buying the Clones, I put them in the bad area because they're off-screen Clones, and I'm growing tired of them pumping out ROTS Clones. Good of them to put out the AOTC Clone Sergant, but we got it in the EE 4 packs. If it were a basic white Clone, it would be better.

The Ugly:
Holographic figures always suck, IMO, so they'll be placed in the ugly. Darth Maul Sith Training was only cool in the original Saga line because he had that AWESOME metal double bladed lightsaber, so ugly. And Aurra Sing from a comic might please her fans, but I'm only familiar with her one second of screen time in TPM, so she gets on the ugly list.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 02:17 AM »
I'm sorta torn...  Some good, some not so good.

For my $ there are going to be some passes here.  I'm happy with all the Clones personally...  Though I agree the AOTC Sergeant probably should've been a basic white.  Though at the same time, Sergeants should be abundant too, and I know I don't have enough of them or Lt.'s.  Yellow and Red I'm maxed out on.

I could use more Sarges but I really would like more white Troopers.  At this point I'd even prefer the Evolution one in all white with toned down damage markings just because I think he's the best sculpt.

I wonder why Hasbro has decided to take this new path with figures...  They sorta blow their load for the first 8 or so months of the year, then the last bit they crank out repaints.  Last year's repaints were a bitch to find too...  Will we have this same problem?

I like the Clones and Battledroids a ton, and would hate to think I can't army build these simply because they'll be hard to find like last year's figures were in the final waves.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:05 AM »
For me, this is a much weaker group of figs than last year's repack/repaint waves.  The off screen clones just don't do it for me, and the selection really isn't all that.  But it saves me money, so no complaints.  I'm really happy to see the Clone Sergent, since he's the only AOTC clone I don't have.  The BARC Trooper is the biggest nicest surprise, especially with the sculpt, but he'll also be this year's Tac Ops Trooper, so.  Holo figs, okay, but never saw Holo Plo Koon.  I'm feeling a little negative ned so I'll stop there.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 11:33 AM »

The Good:

The Bad:
Saga-064 Commander Appo
Saga-065 BARC Trooper
Saga-055 Kit Fisto
Saga-066 Yareal Poof
Saga-068 Padme Amidala
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak
Saga-073 Aurra Sing
Saga-072 Labria

Look at all the $$ I will save the last half of this year.  I could understand flooding us with Prequel Fanfic Crap if 2007 was being treated like the 30th of the Original Star Wars, but instead it is more like the 2nd anniversary of ROTS.  I'm surprised we didn't get an army of Gungans too.

The most disappointing part is the total lack of the "Yavin Wave" that was rumored so long ago. 

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 12:42 PM »
The Good:
Saga-061 Super Battle Droid (Island Camo)
Saga-071 Nabrun Leids and Kabe

The Bad:
Everything else

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I wonder why Hasbro has decided to take this new path with figures...  They sorta blow their load for the first 8 or so months of the year, then the last bit they crank out repaints.  Last year's repaints were a bitch to find too...  Will we have this same problem?

It's all about reading between the lines of what was presented and mentioned at Comic-Con. It seems to me Hasbro wasn't intending to continue the "TSC" line past the Naboo wave, but something changed that - perhaps a change in direction of when the 30th Anniversary styled product packaging would be hitting the market. Based on the release dates for the final 22 TSC figures, it looks like the 30th Ann. line won't be hitting until April or May, in time for the true 30th anniversary date. That might be something Lucasfilm requested and would work on the theory that there are only 8 waves in that line (based on the mention that waves 1-8 would include McQuarrie based figures) as that would be 1 wave per month for the remainder of 2007.

Another question is, whatever happened to this Yavin Wave we keep hearing about? Was it ever finished in pre-production, is it available for mass production yet, did it ever exist, or are they holding it off for the 30th ann. line? If it was ready, then why not release it now? More likely than not it wasn't ready or they realized it would be economically sensible to release it next year and cut costs on the pre-production costs for the 30th ann. line. This way they can save money by doing repaints for the final 22 figures of the TSC line.

As for the final 22 and my thoughts on them, based on the idea that these would all have to be quick repaints....

What I'll Buy (aka The Pretty Good)
Saga-064 Commander Appo
Saga-065 BARC Trooper
Saga-070 Kitik Keedkak

Nice Idea, I'll Think About It (The Good)
Saga-055 Kit Fisto
Saga-068 Padme Amidala
Saga-073 Aurra Sing

Ok Idea If You Really Need To Pump Out Repaints To Help Some Fans (The Fair)
Saga-066 Yareal Poof
Saga-072 Labria

Why The **** Did You Waste Your Time With This **** When There Are Better Things To Do With These Characters/Figures (The Bad)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 01:22 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Since nobody asked, here's my list of the Good, the Bad and so forth...

FIGURES I AM ACTUALLY EXCITED ABOUT:

Saga 056-Commander Cody Hologram
Saga 058-Imperial Astromech Droid R5-A1
Saga 065-BARC Trooper
Saga 067-Darth Vader's (?) Astromech
Saga 074-Mace Windu's Astromech

CLONES THAT I WILL END UP BUYING IF THEY DON'T LOOK SILLY:

Saga 057-442nd Siege Batallion Clone Trooper
Saga 059-5th Fleet Security Clone Trooper
Saga 060-Clone Trooper Sergeant (only if it's the Evolutions RH version)
Saga 064-Commander Appo (take the pauldron off and it's an SA 501st)
Saga 069-Clone Trooper (the golden one)

FIGURES I WOULD BUY IF I DIDN'T HAVE THEM ALREADY:

Saga 055-Kit Fisto (Clone Wars)
Saga 066-Yarael Poof

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, YOU'RE KIDDING RIGHT?

Saga 053-Darth Maul Sith Training
Saga 054-Chewbacca (Cloud City Capture)
Saga 061-Gangrene Super Battle Droid
Saga 062-Gangrene Battle Droids
Saga 068-Padme Amidala (Arena Battle)
Saga 070-Kitik Keedkak
Saga 071-Nabrun Lieds and Kabe
Saga 072-Labria
Saga 073-Aurra Sing

The holographic Obi-Wan is the only one that I will buy but I'm not too excited about.  I need another CW Fisto since mine has the Chris Farley from "Dirty Work" problem of a half-nose, but whoever made the decision to rerelease Maul, Chewie, Labria, and Nabrun Lieds in those forms needs to be fired.  I do find it funny, though, that Wal-Mart is getting the last five figures as an exclusive wave, and they're the least inspired figures of the bunch.  If WM overorders, they might as well wheel that case straight to the clearance aisle.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I think these year end repacks & repaints are the ideal time to re-release hard to find figures like Ki Fitso and Kit Keetak, both of which I will hopefully buy.

During the AOTC years, I was never a clone fan, but I went a bit crazy last year, so I will be buying as many of these repaints as possible, I think they look pretty good and it's nice to get an AOTC sculpt in the mix.

I can't BELIEVE they are re-releasing Sith training, though, as that figure blew (except for the metal saber, which I still have, thankfully).

The Aurra Sing figure is just UUUGLY.  I would have been all over it if it was even slightly retooled, but it shares the exact same awkward body as her predecessor.

I'll also pick up just about ANY astromech repaint in the world and I'm glad we're getting some battle droids out again (not 100% jazzed about the paint scheme, but I can live with it). I hope they release these guys in big numbers, as my clone army is getting big and they need some droids to duke it out with.

All in all, for a group of repaints, these guys aren't bad.  But, last year I couldn't find so many of the year end rehashes so I hope this year will be bettter.

Oh, as for that Padme - i already customized myself an identical figure a couple of years ago.  I think I'm owed some royalty payments or something....
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Can anyone at the Con confirm that the AOTC-style Clone Sergeant figure is the 2003 SA/2005 EE four pack body and not the 2005 Evolutions version with a removable helmet? 

The photos definitely make it look like the former, and the only way I'm going to buy one is if it is of the latter variety.  With Hasbro's big **** you/switcheroo on the 501st last fall (from SA to AT-TE Gunner bodies), I'm trying to see where I can save myself a bit of money (and leave some Clones on the pegs for other people).

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Great. Another series of figures I won't find.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 09:22 PM »
The only ones I see myself buying are the Astromechs.

I wouldn't mind picking up a few more Kit Fistos and maybe a Yareal Poof or 2 for customizing, but the Astromechs are the only ones I really "want".
Looking for EXCELLENT 1/18 scale weapons? Check out Marauder, Inc.
www.marauderinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

1 Stop Shopping For all Your Customs Needs:
www.goodtogocustoms.com