Author Topic: TSC Prices - Price Hikes, Discounts, and Sales!  (Read 77258 times)

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: TSC Prices - Price Hikes, Discounts, and Sales!
« Reply #30 on: March 9, 2006, 01:27 AM »
Price increase at some So Cal Walmart to $6.63  :(

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 9, 2006, 09:34 AM »
I'm confounded at the fact that WM is raising their price. Hopefully it's a store to store or regional thing. I guess I'll find out this weekend.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 9, 2006, 10:01 AM »
everywhere I bet :(
Also will bet there will be a Geo stock right after it ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: March 9, 2006, 10:23 AM »
Went to a Walmart here in SoCal (Pomona to be exact) and the price was 6.63.

Price increase at some So Cal Walmart to $6.63 :(

I saw the $6.63 price myself at Wal-Mart last night too...  Like I said earlier, I think it's strange that just when Target decides to price-compete, Wal-Mart goes and raises their price?  Strange...

I wonder if Wal-Mart saw how fast they are selling the figures this year so now they are playing "supply and demand" with us? 

Or maybe they know the Bounty Hunt chase figures are coming in the next wave, so up goes the price?   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 06:24 AM »
I hate retail...

**** like this is just all the more reason to go to E-Tailers simply out of spite and anger.  Sucks for those of us who customize or army build though. :(  That's the only downside.

If I did one of every figure though, I'd hands down be ordering figures online exclusively and just completely avoiding the big retailers.  Whatever their half-assed reasoning for a price increase, it's a screwjob to us.  I've heard so many theories why things aren't shipping and prices are flying up and down monthly.  You'd think Hasbro had become an oil producer. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 02:16 PM »

Or maybe they know the Bounty Hunt chase figures are coming in the next wave, so up goes the price?   :-X

Conspiracy theorist!  Lock 'im up.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 04:24 PM »
I think they are doing it because they can.  They have tested the market and have seen that we will pay whatever price for whatever hits the shelves.

You, me and someone might not pay the prices but most people do and so do moms and grandmas.  Heck I did not buy a single figure in TSC at 6.99 (I was also out of the country) and waited until the TRU 4.99 sale to get all my figures from the 1st 2 waves but my wife has bought me several figures at 6.99.

People are going to pay and that is the bottom line.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 06:34 PM »
I dunno about that...  At $6.99 my local TRU's had literally a wall of Carkoon Wave at one store, HOth at another.  I mean, dozens.  The one-pers like Fett I saw at least a dozen of at my one TRU...  And they sat, and sat, and sat...  And this is one of the higher traffic stores in the area too right outside the city limits.

The $5 sale hit though, and that same store is down to only having Bib and Leia, and of the two there are only like a dozen total figures on the pegs.  When the sale ended, so did the sales for TSC at our local TRU's.  I'/ve been back and the same figures are sitting there, as well as Hoth Wave that restocked.  The only thing missing from the Hoth Wave restocks I can tell are the one-pers like Vader and the Gonk.  Veers, Derlin, Rieekan, Snowtrooper, and AT-AT Driver are all there though and not moving now.

Target is the same way.  They dropped their price and all the Hoth and Carkoon remnants finally moved...  Wal-Mart's been moving stuff steadily though Bib defies all theories and lingers like a fart in a car because he sucks.

I think when stores kick up prices there has been a noticeable difference in how those stores sell.  It happens with other lines where a store like KB or KM has stuff you can't find elsewhere simply because their price is always higher.  I know the "final 12" could only be found lingering at K-Mart around my area while they blew out at WM due to the $5-ish price.

Some of them actually sat here at KM though, like Passel Argente, the Grievous Guard repaint and the Neimoidian.

I also question how many parents are still buying Star Wars right now...  People say it's good to mix in main characters, etc., for the kids, and I don't necessarilly disagree with the notion, but at the same time when anything is one-per-case it moves simply because people want a full set (especially with the spiffier collector-focused packaging like OTC/TSC have had).  So are parents really out buying $7 for their kids en masse like they bought last year, or is it more that the "repacks" that are "for kids" are actually in most cases packed one-per-case and are getting the hardcore collectors to buy them?

I know my local clique is going ape**** trying to get both 3PO's from the Geo wave, the Vader (and some variant) from the Hoth Wave, and Fett from the Carkoon Wave plus his stand positioning variant... 

Not to mention the holographic figure variants people want specifically.

Personally I think the way nothing is out there to be found, that people are moving on that Hasbro claims to have the line focused on.  I know I see a lot less people looking over Star Wars these days...  Less kids already.  I know the kids I buy for are quickly losing interest.  ONe moved onto lego already because they seem to have their heads out of their asses and are able to put stuff out everyone can find easily without gimmicks and such.

The other is holding on, but considering I know my local buds need Jango and that's who he's desperately wanting to find, well at one-per-case I'm not hopeful of picking him up one unless I get the original Saga Jango on the cheap at the toy show this weekend for him...  TSC Jango's gonna be tough to find for a long time unless he suddenly gets packed heavier, and I doubt its kids getting him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2006, 04:15 PM »
went to 9 Targets yesterday price is now 6.99 >:(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Jesus, nine Targets!?

Either way, this is the craziest thing I've seen in a while in regards to price competitiveness....

WM comes out of the gate at $5.88 and Target sits at $6.99.  Target literally sits on $7 figures so they lower their price (for a week) to $5.89.

For some reason (I can't quite figure it out yet) WM actually raises their price to $6.63.

Target, again, follows suit and goes back to $6.99.

This backwards pricing game will be the end of SW at brick and mortar locations.  So many people are ordering online it's not even funny.

We're all going to get screwed in the end though - word has it that the online retailers are going to get the shaft from Hasbro in regards to case allotments in order to fulfill the mass retailers (like the pegs will be dry at $6.99).... ::)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2006, 05:17 PM »
I can't remember a year where they jumped this much either(where they jump back and forth at over a dollar  to 2 dollar value). I can understand holiday season, clearance time ect. Not at this time. If it were true they raise price to accomodate TH assortments coming - that would be dumb. Still, as long as stores keep getting infrequent, low case amount refresher shipments I don't see any thing but the usual suspect pegwarmers on the shelves and nothing sitting..even with a higher price tag.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2006, 05:23 PM »
The price increases are a serious deterrent to me personally. I went in to 2006 burnt out on 3 3/4 due to the massive push of figures for ROTS and the daunting list of product for 2006. I saw that Carkoon wave and laughed, thinking I would save a bundle by not buying garbage like that. Then the Hoth and Geonosis waves hit, the prices went down, and I found myself really like the Saga line. The figures had gotten better, the packaging is excellent, and holds up better for collecting carded.  I even began entertaining notions of going back and picking up carkoon to have a full set carded like the OTC line.

But 6.99 and difficulty finding product will kill that notion faster than a 3 foot drunk in a teddy bear costume can kill a well trained, genetically engineered soldier (oh wait, R2 is the drinker, never mind).

I have cases on order as well, and if those come through without a hitch, I may go back and fill in the few holes. But if the cases get cancelled, and my only option is 7.00 and running all over town, I will go back to being burnt out in a hurry.
I have 7 saga AT-AT drivers, and 4 Veers. I did not, and would not, buy them at 6.99. The last one was 6.63, and that will be the last one I buy at that price as well. Seven dollar figures kills the army-builder spirit in me.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2006, 05:25 PM »
well..lemme know if you change your mind and need a boba carkoon!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2006, 05:43 PM »
But 6.99 and difficulty finding product will kill that notion faster than a 3 foot drunk in a teddy bear costume can kill a well trained, genetically engineered soldier (oh wait, R2 is the drinker, never mind).

That gets my vote for Metaphor of the Year.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2006, 07:07 PM »
I have to state that I hunt very successfully (usually) and can find what I want. However, the hunt this year is getting old. I have the Cody wave on order with NewForce (if I don't find em before then) and I have 1 R5 D4 on order with BBTS (and I don't mind paying extra for it).  Other than needing 2 Cody, 1 Firefighter, 1 Foul, 1 Obi and Anakin for my son, and 1 R4 D4 I don't really see that I want any figures other than the VOTC. So because of that, and because of prices and gas prices, my days of active hunting are over I believe.  That and I am backing off on this line after Cody. That's alot of business lost for them since I hunt for myself and about 6 to 8 others.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3