Author Topic: NBA 2006-07  (Read 63265 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 Playoffs
« Reply #285 on: May 4, 2007, 02:28 AM »
I can't remember the last time an MVP front runner disappeared this completely in a big time playoff elimination game.

Dirk has been moping around, getting his azz handed to him for 35 minutes now.  Worst display from him I can remember.

He lost any shot he had at being MVP tonight.  Nash has it.

MVP is for the regular season and votes are in already. 

Don't understand why Dirk didn't go to the block. 

I think that was one of the best crowds I've seen in a NBA game.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 4, 2007, 02:30 AM »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 4, 2007, 08:27 AM »
I can't remember the last time an MVP front runner disappeared this completely in a big time playoff elimination game.

Dirk has been moping around, getting his azz handed to him for 35 minutes now.  Worst display from him I can remember.

He lost any shot he had at being MVP tonight.  Nash has it.

MVP is for the regular season and votes are in already. 

Yup ... and early rumblings have been saying that Dirk won the award.  Can anyone else remember a time when the MVP trophy was presented to a player that wasn't still playing in the playoffs?  I wonder if Dirk will show up to the press conference.

The game last night was great.  Baron lifted his team simply by being on the court (his 11 consecutive points in the 2nd quarter on one leg didn't hurt any), Stephen Jackson was insane (he usually is, but this was in a good way), and the Oakland crowd was simply ridiculous.  My ass is dragging because I stayed up to watch the entire game, which ended around 1:15 AM EST, but I don't care.  If I can find any solace in the fact that the Heat got swept out of the playoffs and won't be defending their title, it's in the fact that Dallas won't be the team winning it.
 :)

Great series.  Now, let's see if Golden State can keep up this momentum in the next round against Houston Utah.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2007, 12:33 AM by Neal »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 4, 2007, 09:51 AM »

Yup ... and early rumblings have been saying that Dirk won the award. 

Nash deserved it, he was totally robbed if this is true.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2006-07 Season
« Reply #289 on: May 4, 2007, 09:52 AM »
the favorites to win the championship

Phoenix.

You may see it that way, but most do not.

No shocker here, for me anyhow.

Phoenix is taking it this year, damn the experts.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 4, 2007, 10:01 AM »
If Dirk won the MVP the only reasonable thing for him to do is to decline.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2006-07 Season
« Reply #291 on: May 4, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Phoenix is taking it this year, damn the experts.

They still have to worry about making it past San Antonio.  That shouldn't be that easy.
I wouldn't mind seeing Phoenix win one.  I enjoy watching the team and Nash is a class act.  It would be nice for him to get a championship.

Looks like you can't win that Dark Trooper now, Matt.
 ;)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 4, 2007, 01:36 PM »
If Dirk won the MVP the only reasonable thing for him to do is to decline.

I agree.  I like this little blurb from the Sports Guy over on ESPN.com:

We're headed for the most awkward moment in NBA history within the next 10 days. Here's how it will play out:

(We see Jim Gray, David Stern and Dirk Nowitzki standing awkwardly in front of a single camera at halftime of a Round 2 playoff game.)

--Gray: "I'm here with NBA commissioner David Stern. David--"

--Stern: "Don't talk to me. Seriously. You're lucky I haven't had you killed yet."

--Gray: "Gotcha. Um ... and now to present the 2006-07 Most Valuable Player Award, NBA commissioner David Stern."

--Stern: "Leave."

--Gray: "What?"

--Stern: "Leave. Now."

(Gray slinks off.)

--Stern: "Well, Dirk, maybe the playoffs didn't turn out the way you planned, but for 82 meaningless games during one of the worst seasons of my 23-year tenure, you were the best player in a terrible league. Unfortunately, voting for the award happens right after the regular season, so voters weren't able to factor in your complete meltdown in Round 1 against Golden State. You didn't just fail to step up like an MVP should, you whined and complained the entire series, disgraced your teammates and embarrassed your fans. Not since David Hasselhoff has America been so embarrassed by a German. I don't know whether to hand you this trophy or smash it over your head. Lucky for you, this is being televised, so I can only hand you the trophy and congratulate you on the 2006-07 Most Valuable Player Award. I'm going to leave now so I can throw up."

--Dirk Nowitzki (taking the trophy): "Thank you, Mr. Commissioner."

(Stern waves disgustedly at him and walks away.)

If you're interested, you can read the entire article here (which was written before Game 5 of the series):

Sorry, Dirk, you're no MVP
« Last Edit: May 4, 2007, 01:37 PM by Neal »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 4, 2007, 07:00 PM »
i don't know if i would decline the award, but i sure as hell wouldn't show up at someone elses game to accept it.

i don't know what happened to the mavs.  they never in any of the 6 games played like they did during the regular season.  it was very weird.  if ever their was a case for calling sports rigged, i would say we just witnessed it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 4, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I was rooting for the Mavs as much as anyone, but there were times I thought the refs were trying to push it to Dallas.

I think Golden State simply overcame a big challenge.  They match up well, and they have a coach who knows the opponent more than anyone else.  Like when Gruden dismantled the Raiders in the Superbowl.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 4, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Everyone blames Dirk but, honestly, was he the only guy on the floor? I mean were the Dallas Mavs a Lakers-like team in disguise with a bunch of no namers and Bryant? If that is really true what I'm hearing here then I feel Dallas deserved to be knocked out quick. Is it really?

Did Dirk miss many games this year? When he did, did the team really suck without him? I heard all year about how Dallas was so deep, blah blah this N that- that I find it hard to believe they lost because one of their best players was ...(well, whatever his problem was-off?)

I just don't hear enough about how good GS could really be-like Dallas could only lose to them and no one else ::) If they(GS) lose instantly to the next team they play then, to me..Dallas truly sucked.

Personally, I'm not a Dallas fan. I hate their arrogant jerk owner- who just got his ass handed to him by his former employees' team. I really don't dislike the Mavs players, I just think it was really BS how their former coach lost his job..even more so when he got replaced by Johnson whom I never cared for. I thought it was pretty low for Johnson to call out his player like that..it reminded me of Phil Jackson with Kobe or Shac- I don't care for it. So, it looks like we have a marriage problem now in Dallas so I expect big changes.

Nash deserves the MVP again, another stupid Dallas move by their arrogant ownership to let him go too ::)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 5, 2007, 01:56 AM »
Dirk is a good player, but he didn't just have a bad game or two, he FLAT OUT DISAPPEARED for at least 3 of the Mavs losses - and last night was the worst.  He didn't just have a mediocre game, he was invisible.  His quotes to the media were nothing like what you'd want from a leader, and he looked like he wasn't even trying last night.

Not what MVP's do in the playoffs.  End of story.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 6, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Everyone blames Dirk but, honestly, was he the only guy on the floor? I mean were the Dallas Mavs a Lakers-like team in disguise with a bunch of no namers and Bryant? If that is really true what I'm hearing here then I feel Dallas deserved to be knocked out quick. Is it really?

no... there are several players to blame for dallas' losses.  they should have been able to beat GS without dirk.

Did Dirk miss many games this year? When he did, did the team really suck without him?

dirk missed a couple of games, and i think dallas won all of them

I just don't hear enough about how good GS could really be-like Dallas could only lose to them and no one else ::) If they(GS) lose instantly to the next team they play then, to me..Dallas truly sucked.

i think alot of people are underestimating the value of don nelson's inside knowledge.  its like playing poker with a guy who knows what all the cards are. the mavs are still essentially playing with his playbook, and his players and his protege coach.

Nash deserves the MVP again, another stupid Dallas move by their arrogant ownership to let him go too

i really like nash, and wanted them to keep him, but at the time, the decision to let him go seemed like a good one.  every year he would get really banged up and lose a step by the playoffs.  paying him $100 million seemed like a train wreck waiting to happen.  it seemed pretty likely that he would hamstring the mavs with another huge contract for a player who was just a shadow of his former self.  it sucks for dallas, but it was probably the best thing that ever could have happened for nash.   he was really good, but i don't think he would have ever gotten MVP in dallas.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 7, 2007, 09:05 AM »
  it sucks for dallas, but it was probably the best thing that ever could have happened for nash.   he was really good, but i don't think he would have ever gotten MVP in dallas.

Exactly.  Nash found a perfect situtation in Phoenix.  He makes that offense run, but the system and the quality of players he has around makes him better as well.  It's a perfect fit.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2007, 09:06 AM by Neal »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 7, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Was the romping of the Bulls (by the Pistons) expected?