Author Topic: NBA 2006-07  (Read 62611 times)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 Playoffs
« Reply #330 on: May 16, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Count me as someone who enjoys watching the Jazz play.  Four of their starters are legitimate stars, and they're gelling as a team at the perfect time.  They definitely won't be an easy out for either Phoenix or San Antonio.  And their home crowd is awesome.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:50 AM by Neal »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 16, 2007, 08:56 AM »
The Suns got nutted.

Neither Amare or Boris were involved in the altercation, they didn't touch anyone.  Neither did Duncan with that hard dunk that left 2 players on the floor.

Duncan came off the bench when he thought an altercation might ensue after the dunk play, but he didn't get suspended.

Personally, I think the only player that should have been suspended was Horry for intentionally trying to hurt Nash.

If Diaw and Amare were suspended for getting up off the bench, then Duncan should have been also.

But let the record show, of my Suns championship prediction, that they were nutted by Stern.  He should have let them go.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:56 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11 AM »
I'm really frustrated with these suspensions as well.  Sure, I understand that "the rule is clear" - which is what we'll hear Stu Jackson/NBA state over the next week, but it really is stupid.  Amare and Diaw barely even made it to the edge of the floor, didn't touch anyone, and were really just trying to support their teammate/friend after a hard flagrant foul.  Horry deserves the two game suspension as far as I'm concerned, but we all know it isn't going to effect San Antonio as much as Phoenix - if at all.  I really hope Phoenix is able to somehow win anyways, but I have my doubts.  We'll see.

The issue with Duncan is an interesting one too.  Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player - but I do tire of constantly hearing how "quite, and workmanlike" he is, and how he "never complains" from the majority of the television announcers/analysts.  I don't know of a player who whines or blankly stares after he is called for a foul more often than ol' Timmy.  That doesn't take away from his talent, but the golden child label the NBA and the networks have for him is getting old.  This is another example of how he can get away with something, when other players (in this case Stoudemire and Diaw) can't.  Its really frustrating, and I can't think of anything more boring than a Pistons/Spurs finals matchup.  Snore.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 16, 2007, 10:59 AM »
For me (my opinion of course) the only exciting teams to watch are the GSW, Suns, and Bulls.

The others to me are boring-- Pistons,SAS,Jazz

So, I agree with the possible boring finals matchup Brian explained

DS

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 16, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Wow, the Bulls have won two in a row.

Hopefully they'll win in Chicago bringing the series back to Detroit for Game 7 - where they will lose.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 16, 2007, 05:14 PM »
i was listening to david stern on dan patrick this afternoon.  he said the difference between duncan and stoudamire/diaw was that stoudamire and diaw moved about 20 feet towards the incident.  he also said that no team has ever challenged the "getting off the bench" rule.

i feel certain that at least the suns will do that this year, especially if they get booted from the playoffs as a result of two players showing concern in a completely no aggressive manner.

this totally sucks that the team that has played extremely aggressively during the series gets off with an end of the bench spare player getting 2 games and the suns get a 40 minute per game starter and their 7th man benched for a game.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 16, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Well, if the Suns win Game 5, none of us will care.

But if the Suns lose Game 5, and the Spurs win the championship, I think a lot of us are going to question the validity of their trophy.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Here's a great read on the subject.  It's lengthy, but worth the time:

Common sense vs. the NBA rulebook

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2007, 01:00 PM »
Game 5 overall was a travesty of justice.

Friggin' Robert Horry hip checks Nash of the court trying to either injure him or induce a fight for suspensions, but even though they didn't get Nash they got Amare.

I wouldn't be surprised if Popovich told them that play was coming up and for all his players to stay put on the bench.

It's an outrage.

The eerie thing is that Amare's "The Spurs are dirty" statement after Game 2 turned out to be a hell of an act of foreshadowing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:01 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2007, 03:15 PM »
You know what else too, I heard Pops tell on radio in an interview that he reminded his team ' we knew they were at a disadvantage and that we knew we would have to take advantage of it' or something like that effect. That's lame ::).

DS

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2007, 04:55 PM »

that is a very good article.  it pretty much states how everyone (except SA Longhorn) feels about this whole debacle.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2007, 06:38 PM »

that is a very good article.  it pretty much states how everyone (except SA Longhorn) feels about this whole debacle.

Hahaha ... yup.  I can understand why he defends him though.  I used to completely detest Dennis Rodman when he was a Piston, but once he joined Jordan and the Bulls, I had to cheer for him.  I'd even find myself defending (or, at least, accepting) his behavior from time to time.  It happens.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 08:27 AM by Neal »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Guess I was wrong on Game 6 in Chicago - too bad.  Would've loved to see a game 7 between Detroit and Chicago.

Oh well.  I guess some things never change.

;)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Guess I was wrong on Game 6 in Chicago - too bad.  Would've loved to see a game 7 between Detroit and Chicago.

Oh well.  I guess some things never change.

;)

so far i have been wrong about the mavs, rockets and phoenix.  talk about things never changing. 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 22, 2007, 08:46 AM »
So what is everyone's opinion about the game last night?  Should LeBron have taken the last shot (which would've been a layup) to tie the game, or did he make the right play by passing to a wide open Marshall for the three (and the win)?