Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41649 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: AOL sucks
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 04:31 PM »
And if you can't afford Cable or DSL (or it isn't in your area) at least get off the AOL bandwagon. Try MSN, or Earthlink....or better yet, the local ISP in your town.

They'll all be better than AOL was.
Got Clones?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2003, 04:36 PM »
There's only one good thing about AOL... it's what brought my wife & I together.  I met my wife back in 1998 when AOL first implemented the "Photo Personal" section.  My wife had posted a picture of herself and a brief bio, I emailed her, we emailed back & forth, started chatting online, started speaking on the phone, and then we started dating.  We've been married for 2.5 years and we've been together for just about 5 years.

So, you're right about how AOL sucks, but they're not the only ISP out there.  Get either DSL or cable modem access.  If that's not available in your area I would definitely hook up with Earthlink.  I had them for almost 4 years before FINALLY being able to get DSL.  They're definitely the BEST ISP for 56k dial-up access.
dustrho

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Can't pass up an opportunity to post in an "AOL Sucks" thread. (I found my wife the old fashioned way: Mail order.)
Post sober.

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2003, 05:33 PM »
I can't believe people still use AOL.  Thank God I never had to
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2003, 05:46 PM »
There's only one good thing about AOL... it's what brought my wife & I together.

Hehe. Ah, yes, an internet dating success story. Keep in mind that for every couple like you two that met and married after meeting on AOL, there were also:

51,566,482 online meetings that seemed promising...but never produced a real life meeting.
9,443,291 people that met online and decided the other person looked NOTHING like they described once they finally sent that picture.
5,098,222 online relationships that failed after they met in real life.
1,170,224 actual 1st dates that never produced a 2nd date.
729,002 married people that cheated on their spouses with the people they met in the "Singles" chat room.
10,043 Guys and Gals that met their special someone online and proceeded to stalk their new love to the point of a restraining order
5,201 Pedophiles that used AOL to meet a nice underage boy or girl.
2,031 Pedophiles that used AOL to meet a nice undercover cop posing as an underage boy or girl.
1,042 people that met someone whom they are happily dating
520 couples that met someone who they are happily dating and plan to marry.

;D
Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2003, 05:55 PM »
Go figure, I met Alison on AOL, and I still use it. That was almost 6 years ago I met her, too. We're still together.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2003, 05:58 PM »
I just got off AOL a couple of months back I think in March or Feburary.  When I called to cancel I think I ended up with someone in India or another part of the world not in the USA because of the way her asscent sounded and the way she talked about a letter being sent to me via United States Postal Service.  I since have Verizon DSL and am happy.  I still miss some stuff about AOL like seeing my sent mail, email recepit and some other small stuff.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2003, 06:01 PM »
Josh, where did you find that information?  That's some very interesting stuff.
dustrho

Offline Sith Lord Cosmo

• Jedi Initiate
  • Detroit, WHAT?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2003, 06:10 PM »
Somehow I think Josh was pulling numbers out of his ass in an attempt to be funny.

If anyone wants to see an example of internet dating at its finest, they should visit Tucker Max's website.  Some of his stories are not appropriate for kiddies, so I won't post the link, but its not hard to find.
Hotter than Bond.  Cooler than Bullitt

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2003, 06:15 PM »
Yeah, my "stats" were a joke.

I'm glad I was so convincing with them though.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2003, 06:37 PM »
That was pretty funny though Josh.  You sure had me fooled!
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2003, 06:53 PM »
That was pretty funny though Josh.  You sure had me fooled!

Well good.  8)

Dispite the totally fictional numbers next to the statistics, I bet the real life percentages aren't that far off.
Got Clones?

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2003, 11:18 PM »
I hate AOL with a pasion!!!  It's a pain in the ass to remove all of their software, when you get rid of it.  AOL has the poorest customer service.   They are rude to their customers, and take this "we don't need you attitude."  I hate the way they mass mail their crappy discs to everyone  and their brother.  I heard that there is a group that mass mails these disc back to them, and has them pay the shipping.  Has anyone heard of this???
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2003, 12:05 AM »
I haven't heard of any group mailing the AOL CD's back to AOL.
dustrho

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2003, 12:43 AM »
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist