Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41540 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Got my first "Nigerian Fee" scam e-mail today!
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2003, 07:07 PM »
Got ANOTHER one of these today!     >:(
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2003, 02:26 PM »
A Fun Game

Start going through your hotmail, yahoo and even jedidefender mail boxes and start throwing the titles into chats you are having

People get mad for some reason

That site you linked to is hilarious Scott

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2003, 07:28 PM »
I heard if I helped this Nigerian, Bill Gates would forward a cookie recipe to 5 of my friends, and then we'd all get a trip to Disneyland.

Is that true?
Got Clones?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2003, 01:46 PM »
It must be true, otherwise it wouldn't be on the internet.

I'm up to six of these Nigerian please help emails a week.  Nary a day goes by.... ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Newforcecomics Email has virus
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Just to let everyone know here that an email NOT originally sent by Rick but uses the newforcecomics email address is infected.

The subject is "turn to violent".  Make sure to delete it (if your virus protection doesn't take care of that for you).
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Newforcecomics Email has virus
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2003, 04:12 PM »
I've bet I've gotten 100 virus e-mails today alone from people in my Yahoo account.  Hope you don't get slammed!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2003, 07:50 PM »
I also got it but my virus protection snagged it.  Still, I'm none too happy.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2003, 08:46 PM »
I got a bunch of viruses in the last couple of days, but my good 'ole McAfee VirusScan did a great job finding it and getting rid of it.   8)
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Surfing the Net Behind a Firewall at Work? HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2003, 08:14 PM »
I can access just about every website on the Net when I'm at work, but for some reason I can't access JediDefender.  I can get on all the "other" Star Wars related forums, but not here.  It's driving me nuts!   >:(

I remember using websites that allowed you to enter the URL into it, and you could then browse ANY website if your company had a firewall (or internet filtering) set up.  The sad thing is that I can't remember any of those sites.  I had about 5 sites that I had used in the past, but I can't remember any of them.

Does anyone here have any possible tips or suggestions on how to get around a company firewall?  Please share your secrets... thanks!   8)
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing the Net Behind a Firewall at Work? HELP NEEDED!
« Reply #54 on: September 2, 2003, 09:13 PM »
Well, avoiding discussions of work and internet surfing, here's my suggestion...

Just give your friendly network admin a quick call or email, and explain the issue. The problem would take about 5 seconds worth of effort on their end
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #55 on: September 2, 2003, 09:39 PM »
Well, the problem with that is that I'm a consultant working in the Security department of a bank.  I can't just ask them to give me access since I'm a consultant there.  I was trying to find a way to avoid asking anyone there about getting through their firewall.  I did think about asking this one guy about it, but I've only been there 3 weeks and I want to get a fulltime job with them first.
dustrho

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 2, 2003, 11:05 PM »
I'd say to just forget about it for the time being, especially since we are talking about bank security. Anything you use (sites or otherwise) to get past a firewall is still going to be seen by the network techs, and most likely, since we're talking about a banks system, they are going to log any sort of activity related to getting around the firewall. You might be risking quite a lot by trying to get around a bank security firewall. Did you sign a network access agreement, or was it in your contract?
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #57 on: September 2, 2003, 11:16 PM »
Everyone that works at the bank must sign one of those forms, so yes I did sign one.  Everyone in the Security department surfs at their own leisure, but I'm not comfortable enough to ask them if I could have that same access.  I know for a fact that they don't monitor internet access all the time, because there's only two people who handle it.  They only check logs when managers have suspicion of their employees wasting too much time surfing the net.
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #58 on: September 3, 2003, 02:00 PM »
Back when I was 20, I did a job like that.

Rest assured that your net techs can check your logs, but they DON'T usually care enough to do it, unless they have reason to. Like your manager asking them for a report. Or sheer boredom.

However, you trying to break their firewalls gives them a reason....and who knows? They might get ticked and send a little email to your boss with a log of what you were up to. If you think your boss wouldn't like that.....then you should probably stop trying to beat your techs.

Instead, make a friendly phone call, or WALK to their desk and ask them for help getting to this site. They may solve this problem for you, or at least get you a definitive answer like: "We blocked this particular port because people spend too much time on Bulletin boards during the day" or something.  

That would give you a major hint to do your browsing at home, because they're watching YOU.

:)

Got Clones?

Offline carebear

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2003, 11:11 PM »
My advise is to stop surfing the net at work!
You weren't hired there to surf in the first place but the occasional "look" isn't a big deal.  When you find yourself having more time to surf the net than do work then there is a problem... at least that is what we have found with some people at the bank! :P
Carrie Rhoads
DUSTRHO is my hubby!!!