Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121725 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2011, 02:17 AM »
So... it looks exactly like the Raimi movies from a cinematic/stylistic POV except Spidey has weird eyes and Emma Stone is blonde.

Of course I'll see it opening day. :(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I really don't get this one at all...they JUST made this movie and it was highly acclaimed and well liked.  I could get giving the suit to this dude and moving on but it is beyond dumb to "reboot"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure Sony was obligated to make a movie or forfeit the rights to Spider-Man back to Marvel.  So after SM4 failed to materialize, they didn't have many other options.  That's also the case with the X-Men franchise, I believe.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Although we haven't seen any footage or anything, I am happy with the cast and pretty excited for a new Spidey movie.  I also don't see the point of "rebooting" necessarily though, as I think everyone (even non comic fans) is pretty familiar with Spidey's origin at this point.  I sort of wish they would have done something ala the last Hulk movie (Incredible Hulk) and just incorporated the spider-bite/origin into the opening credits sequence or something.  Then move on to the action.  Other than that, I have liked what I've seen so far for this movie.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Sounds like the first trailer from "The Amazing Spider-Man" is floating around the interwebs, and is supposed to be attached to Captain America this weekend (not to mention the cast/etc. appearing at SDCC as well).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Sounds like the first trailer from "The Amazing Spider-Man" is floating around the interwebs

It's all over the place now.  Like many of you guys, I'm not sure we needed a reboot, but it looks pretty good I guess.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Well, I can't pretend like I'm not going to see it.

What's with Peter's parents though? I'll admit I don't read too many comic books but I don't ever recall them ever being seen/mentioned?

EDIT: Nevermind, should have used Google first. SHIELD agents
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:15 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Sounds like the first trailer from "The Amazing Spider-Man" is floating around the interwebs

It's all over the place now.  Like many of you guys, I'm not sure we needed a reboot, but it looks pretty good I guess.

For the life of me I can't figure out what's different about it than the first Sam Raimi movie.  That POV stuff at the end of the trailer looks terrible... very bad CG.  Looks like video game stuff.  With a year to go until it's released, I have to think that it's not final and won't be like that in the movie. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49 PM »
I think the studio execs definitely wanted people to be talking about the movie going into Comic Con.  And no doubt there will be an SDCC Hall H panel about the movie sometime this week.

From the trailer, I got that they want to play up the teen angst angle of Spiderman, and maybe tap into that audience.  FWIW, I think the POV shots of Spiderman doing some wallcrawling was actually somewhat interesting.  I wasn't checking it out in the HD settings that Yahoo movies offers, so maybe there's still some work to be done there.  But I think it's an interesting way for this new movie to set itself apart from the Sam Raimi trilogy of movies.  In those we saw a lot of web-slinging, but not as much wallcrawling.  In this regard it seems like the director is trying to distance his work from what Sam Raimi did, and I can't say that I blame him.  Oh, and I'm also glad to see the mechanical web shooters are back!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 20, 2011, 11:02 PM »
From the trailer, I got that they want to play up the teen angst angle of Spiderman, and maybe tap into that audience. 

A stated goal of the studio - hence the initial selection of the director of 500 Days of Summer to helm this project.

FWIW, I think the POV shots of Spiderman doing some wallcrawling was actually somewhat interesting.  I wasn't checking it out in the HD settings that Yahoo movies offers, so maybe there's still some work to be done there.  But I think it's an interesting way for this new movie to set itself apart from the Sam Raimi trilogy of movies.  In those we saw a lot of web-slinging, but not as much wallcrawling. 

Trust me, this is my business, and that CG was bad.  It looked like a mid-tier video-game cinematic and if it's not still being worked on I'll be amazed.

In this regard it seems like the director is trying to distance his work from what Sam Raimi did, and I can't say that I blame him.

It's going to take a lot more than some wall-crawling to differentiate yourself.  STORY is the most important part, and from the looks of it, it's not going to be any different in that regard from what we already have seen and read.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 20, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Rob, I get that.  It is a TEASER trailer, after all.  If this movie is still a year out, it still has a lot of refining to go through.  I would not be surprised if they were still in principle photoraphy, if not pickup shoots.  And I doubt the POV wallcrawling is going to make it into the film.  This teaser seems like it is very likely something the studio was pushing for SPECIFICALLY for the week of Comic Con.  It's not a coincidence that it was released today.

As for story?  We have to wait for the movie to figure out if this is going to be any good.  Stylistically the director seems to be trying to make a break from what Sam Raimi did.  From a lighting and story perspective they already seem to be trying to make Peter Parker much more of an angst-ridden kid:  orphan, raised by his Aunt & Uncle, isolated in school, etc.  The Raimi trilogy tried to touch on that but also tried to bring in some of the humor that was part of the Spiderman story.  That was a good part of the charm of that series, along with the Bruce Campbell cameos.  Will this re-boot work?  We have to see the movie to make that determination.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:13 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 20, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Rob, I get that.  It is a TEASER trailer, after all.  If this movie is still a year out, it still has a lot of refining to go through.  I would not be surprised if they were still in principle photoraphy, if not pickup shoots.  And I doubt the POV wallcrawling is going to make it into the film.  This teaser seems like it is very likely something the studio was pushing for SPECIFICALLY for the week of Comic Con.  It's not a coincidence that it was released today.

That was no teaser.  That was a full trailer, nearly 2:30 in length. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28 PM »
The movie is almost a year out.  July 3rd, 2012 is the release date.  It's the first trailer.  At this point I have low expectations since some Sony studio exec probably told the director "Get me a trailer in time for Comic Con or you're fired".

Feedback

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2011, 06:27 AM »

That was no teaser.  That was a full trailer, nearly 2:30 in length.

Trailer length doesn't dictate what kind of trailer it is. However I'd say you were both right as it seems to be a mix.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 21, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Officially online now:

Amazing Spider-Man
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:59 AM by Brian »