Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121770 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40 PM »
I assume I'm the only person in the world that actually enjoyed 2-D movies. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I assume I'm the only person in the world that actually enjoyed 2-D movies. 

No, there are two of us.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2010, 02:51 AM »
<raises hand>  Three.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

**** the 3D, give back Raimi, Maguire, & Dunst.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2010, 09:29 AM »
My little one is going to be so upset when Tobey doesn't show up on screen as Peter Parker.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I'm in the 2D camp as well, although I've never actually seen a 3D movie so far.  From the people I've talked to, it sounds like some people love 3D and some people hate it.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2010, 11:12 AM »
The only modern 3D film I've seen is Avatar and I really liked it.  I thought what Cameron did, not making the 3D aspects intrusive or blatant, was excellent.  He used it to his advantage, but didn't throw stuff at you just to prove he could.

On the other hand, the trailer for the new Alice in Wonderland film (which isn't even broadcast in 3D) looks like they have stuff in there just because it'll look cool in 3D.  Not a fan of that.

In Avatar, a whole new world was created and 3D helped to suck you in and make you feel a part of it.  Even though there were real world components to it, the alien look set it off on it's own.  Every day we walk through the "3D" real world of buildings and cars, you don't need to make a film set in reality 3D to tell a good story.  Spider-Man, for example, doesn't need to be in 3D just so the director can try to wow us with a web shooting at us or Spider-Man swinging out of the screen.  It's just use of technology for the sake of using technology.

It's like every commercial using bullet time after the Matrix came out, just because they could.  Now it's just a gimmick to the point of being mocked in films as often as it's used constructively.  Unfortunately, it's looking as if 3D will be the new gimmick for this decade.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I'm in the 2D camp as well, although I've never actually seen a 3D movie so far.  From the people I've talked to, it sounds like some people love 3D and some people hate it.

I don't hate 3D at all.  I think it can be quite effective and has certainly come a long way.  I also don't see the need for it.  Movies have been enjoyable for a very long time in a 2D setting.  For one I don't like wearing the glasses because I find them uncomfortable (I don't wear glasses in real life - yet) and I really don't like paying to use them once.  It's just not reasonable to me.  I didn't choose to make the movie 3D so why am I being forced to see it that way.  Only one theater when I saw Avatar (or any of the kids movies in 3D I've seen with my daughter) - no choice whether to pay the premium or not. 

I've never jumped back in my seat at an effect at a 3D movie and honestly, aside from the blurriness associated with the film without the glasses, I'd watch it that way.  I can see why there's interest but I really don't think the world is going that way.  It's just a trend.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2010, 05:40 PM »
At CES last month, all the TV manufactures were pushing 3D TV. Now that you bought that expensive HD television, now you need to buy another one to get 3D. What ever happen to Star Wars in 3D?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2010, 06:05 PM »
At CES last month, all the TV manufactures were pushing 3D TV. Now that you bought that expensive HD television, now you need to buy another one to get 3D.

I understand the marketing aspect of it.  But what if I don't want to wear glasses the whole time I'm watching TV?  And for that matter, constantly viewing things in 3D with those glasses on won't have a negative impact on your eyesight?  Two to three hours is one thing, but for those that sit at home and watch six hours a day?  Meh. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2010, 06:08 PM »
It'll be optional.  For Blu-rays they'll offer both 2D and 3D on the same disc.  And you'll pick whichever you want to watch.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2010, 11:54 PM »
They were showing off TVs that didn't need the glasses. The problem there is you have a narrow viewing angle.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2010, 11:53 AM »
They were showing off TVs that didn't need the glasses. The problem there is you have a narrow viewing angle.

Well that would be better.  I'm still ok with the 2D crap though.   :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 11, 2010, 02:07 PM »
We finally made the jump into HD in the past couple weeks with a new TV, and a couple of the blu rays we've tried out are Spider-Man and Spidey 2.  I have to say, although I have an open mind about the whole "reboot" thing - and look forward to seeing more Spidey on the big screen - after watching these again, it is disappointing they couldn't have continued the series.  I could have went either way on Dunst, but I liked Maguire pretty well as Peter Parker/Spidey - and the supporting cast is for the most part superb.  Plus, I think the costume is one of the best big screen hero ones yet (and I hope they don't change it much), and the overall "look" of the movies was pretty good.

I guess the rumors about what was going to happen in the next movie (Raimi's version), it might be for the best that they are rebooting it too.  I generally thought Raimi was a great guide for the franchise, but some of the later stuff I read didn't sound too spiffy.  Anyways, hopefully we'll get a better idea of the direction of the reboot sooner than later, because I'm anxious for some more Spidey movies.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 1, 2010, 09:11 PM »
Here's our new Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Andrew Garfield.  I guess Sony officially announced it today.  Yeah, who?  I personally haven't ever seen anything he has been in, but I guess he is an "up and comer".  I'm a little surprised the went with a 26 year old for a "high school" Peter.  I know guys can play younger, but if they are going to make a franchise of it again, he's going to get too old too fast I would think - much like Tobey.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2010, 09:12 PM by Brian »