Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121772 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Having watched the trailer you can count me in the group that is questioning the need for a reboot at this point.  I'm pleased with actually starting with Gwen Stacy instead of leaping headlong into an MJ relationship but beyond that not really seeing the point.  Straight to video for me is where I see this one heading. 

Question: did this director get his start doing a different genre of POV movies?   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Having watched the trailer you can count me in the group that is questioning the need for a reboot at this point. 

That answer is very simple:  it was all about money. 

Sony had the option to keep Spiderman as long as they would keep producing Spiderman films.  They had to commence production of a new film by a certain point in time, otherwise the rights to Spiderman would revert to Marvel studios.  They could not get a 4th Sam Raimi / Tobey Maguire movie greenlit, hence the decision to reboot.  The three Spiderman movies had grossed over $2 billion for Sony, so with a cash-cow like that they could not just let it go.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:36 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 21, 2011, 12:21 PM »
That answer is very simple:  it was all about money. 

Sony had the option to keep Spiderman as long as they would keep producing Spiderman films.  They had to commence production of a new film by a certain point in time, otherwise the rights to Spiderman would revert to Marvel studios.  They could not get a 4th Sam Raimi / Tobey Maguire movie greenlit, hence the decision to reboot.  The three Spiderman movies had grossed over $2 billion for Sony, so with a cash-cow like that they could just let it go.

I knew this was the case, but count me in with the group that wishes Sony and just let the rights lapse.

The same contract stipulation exists with Fox having the rights to the Fantastic Four. I know that they have to have another movie by a certain date or the rights revert back to Marvel on that franchise as well, which is why Fox has a FF reboot planned for 2013. (which I suppose allows them to retain the rights)

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I'm familiar with the economic reasoning too.  But that doesn't address the point of the reboot.  Couldn't they have simply found a new story arc to go with?  Sure, you need all new actors to fill the roles but it's not like the comics are devoid of other villains aside from Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom and Sandman.  Move on.  Find a new story out of the what?  500+ issue of Amazing Spiderman and completely ignore all the other titles?  Adapt a screenplay and giddyup.  But no, instead we get a re-telling of the origin of Spiderman with some different side plots (death of Parker's parents, love interest with Gwen).  That's maybe fine and dandy for the geek crowd who would go if you wrapped a turd in chocolate but the general public?  They already saw the movie and aren't interested in subtle tweaks. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I knew this was the case, but count me in with the group that wishes Sony and just let the rights lapse.

The same contract stipulation exists with Fox having the rights to the Fantastic Four. I know that they have to have another movie by a certain date or the rights revert back to Marvel on that franchise as well, which is why Fox has a FF reboot planned for 2013. (which I suppose allows them to retain the rights)

I wish it would happen, too.  When you look at how a guy with amazing comic world credentials like Kevin Feige really helped steer Iron Man (and subsequent Avengers related projects) in such a positive direction for Marvel, you can see that there is the potential to do right by these movies.  The first FF movie was ok in it's time, but Iron Man just made it look like dog**** in retrospect.  I would love to see the way Kevin Feige could steer FF or Spiderman.  And the potential to have a completely contiguous Marvel film universe is really tempting.

But when over $2 billion in past earnings was on the table for Sony with Spiderman?  I can see why they opted to hold onto the rights for Spiderman.  And Fox will likely hang onto X-Men, too.  They've made a lot of money with that franchise, and thankfully "First Class" wound up being a pretty good movie.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I'm excited because its a new Spider-Man movie, but I can't say I'd be any less so if it was a continuation with Tobey Maguire, Raimi, etc.  I'm fine with the new cast, and don't have a problem with it at all, but I sort of wish they were skipping the "origin" again.  I think even the general audience is abundantly clear with how Peter Parker became Spider-Man at this point.  That said, at least they are using a new villain and not rehashing someone we saw in Raimi's trilogy (at least not yet).  I don't know if studios are a bit wary of just switching actors in and out after what happened with the original Batman movies (Keaton/Kilmer/Clooney) - although we know that isn't the biggest factor in the declining quality there.

Like Brent mentioned, I do like that this new film is getting to the basics with having Gwen Stacy come first and MJ later (I'm guessing anyways).  I know I'm really looking forward to it, but I sort of look at the comic book movies through the eyes of a 10 year old.  When the first Batman movie came out, I really liked it and was always hoping we'd see a Spidey movie someday - let alone things like Cap, GL, Thor, etc.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 21, 2011, 03:17 PM »

This is the best news I have heard all day. As a DIEHARD FF comic collector, I am more than ready to replace my memory of that dreadful franchise with something all new. I mean, I literally do not think they could possibly do any worse.

Replace all the actors, creative team, everything. And note to whoever takes that mess over:

1) Galactus is not a cloud
2) Alicia Masters is white
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2011, 10:13 PM »
So the trailer for the Amazing Spider-man game is on line. It looks like Spiderman vs the Transformers. Is that what the movie is about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfMbVTUx7_c&feature=relmfu
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46 PM »
A pic from the set got posted...  I'm half interested in it at this point, but I just don't know that the new Spiderman is going to cut it for me.

http://ow.ly/i/ox9M/original
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 30, 2011, 09:01 AM »
A pic from the set got posted...  I'm half interested in it at this point, but I just don't know that the new Spiderman is going to cut it for me.

LMAO.  I'm more interested in it now...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #415 on: December 30, 2011, 12:47 PM »

Good one!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2011, 01:20 AM »
We can all thank George Takei for that.  Oh my.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 28, 2012, 04:58 AM »
The Lizard looks turrrrrrrible. Like the aliens from V.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 6, 2012, 08:50 PM »
There was a special event at several cities around the globe today that showed not only the new trailer but also some footage from this summer's Amazing Spider-Man.  I've seen a couple of very positive reviews of the footage shown online (at Newsarama and Comic Book Movie to name a couple), and according to the official Amazing Spider-Man twitter page, the trailer will be online at 3 EST tonight.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 7, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Yeah, here is the new 2:30 trailer.

http://www.marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=14745

This movie looks very mediocre so far.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda