Author Topic: 30AC Saga Legends  (Read 143984 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: New "Greatest Hits" Wave - Collector's Choice?
« Reply #105 on: November 6, 2006, 11:58 AM »
So then basically, this is the round that counts, and everything else that follows is just a matter of academics (i.e. the overall "winning" figure will get a special "#1 Fan's Choice!" sticker or something on it's bubble).

Not exactly.. it's still something in-between.  Hasbro has left themselves plenty of "fudge-factor" room...

From Derryl Depriest, via StarWars.com:

The actual eight fan-choice figures we'll select will be based on a combination of the results from Phase I, which was quantitative, and Phase II (the Bracket) which asks fans to make tough choices amongst a lot of great figures.

So, according to that statement, basically they can pretty much pick whatever the hell they want from the top 64 choices. 

So, we're going to get:
- 16 "kid-firendly" figures selected by Hasbro
- 8 "fan choice" figures selected by Hasbro, with input from the fans.

::)
« Last Edit: November 6, 2006, 11:59 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #106 on: November 6, 2006, 12:08 PM »
The actual eight fan-choice figures we'll select will be based on a combination of the results from Phase I, which was quantitative, and Phase II (the Bracket) which asks fans to make tough choices amongst a lot of great figures.

Man alive--that sort of corporate speak makes my eyes kinda glaze over. 

So basically, the poll is more or less of a suggestion or gauge of fan interest, but ultimately the final decision or selection is all up to Hasbro.  So if, say, Graxxxxxol Kraxxxxxol and Ephant Mon wind up in the final two, Hasbro will have the right to not make those, if they don't want, due to cost issues or what have you.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 6, 2006, 12:26 PM »
I do believe I haven't made a particular statement relative to Hasbro in this thread yet:

Crap. 

Insomuch as all of this is crap.  I'm happy to have a new figure whenever it pops up, but really, any notion of complete is completely out the ******* window.  I wonder if Hasbro hired the genius from McFarlane that said y'know, I think 8 Gretzky's in a box of 12 figures will sell well.  dumb****.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 6, 2006, 06:50 PM »
So, should the thread be retitled, "Greatest Hits-Collector's Choice (as long as it is concurrent with what Hasbro already has planned, otherwise, See you on Ebay, fanboys!)"?

I knew that Ephant Mon and/or Graxxol would "lose" based on Hasbro not wanting to invest money in their packaging in some way, but I would have placed my bet on Rebelscum "recounting the votes" and making them lose.  I never would have suspected Hasbro would reserve the right to do the exact opposite of "Collector's Choice" if it conflicted with their bottom-line.

So, now that we know this, here's the true Greatest Hits lineup for next year:

01.  Anakin Skywalker (ROTS #2)
02.  Darth Vader (500th Figure)
03.  R2-D2 (ROTS Electronic Lights and Sounds)
04.  Chewbacca (ROTS)
05.  Emperor Palpatine (ROTS #12)
06.  Clone Trooper (Utapau Version, if we're lucky)
07.  Luke Skywalker (2004 Saga Jedi Knight)
08.  Darth Vader (TSC 2006 Hoth; yes, I know...)
09.  C-3P0 (ROTS)
10.  Pit Droids 2 pack (two repaints of the one that came with Gasgano in 1999)
11.  Mace Windu (ROTS, again)
12.  Biker Scout (POTJ version)

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 7, 2006, 08:49 AM »
So, should the thread be retitled, "Greatest Hits-Collector's Choice (as long as it is concurrent with what Hasbro already has planned, otherwise, See you on Ebay, fanboys!)"?

I knew that Ephant Mon and/or Graxxol would "lose" based on Hasbro not wanting to invest money in their packaging in some way, but I would have placed my bet on Rebelscum "recounting the votes" and making them lose.  I never would have suspected Hasbro would reserve the right to do the exact opposite of "Collector's Choice" if it conflicted with their bottom-line.

04.  Chewbacca (ROTS)
09.  C-3P0 (ROTS)

Hrmm... Methinks I'll be buying.. um... all.... ZERO of them...

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 7, 2006, 11:32 AM »

04.  Chewbacca (ROTS)
09.  C-3P0 (ROTS)

now I'm scared! thanks for that!  ::)  8)

as for those pit droids, that BETTER not be the case or I'm quitting for good...i'm a pit droid fanatic, you know, thus, 'PITDROID1468'  :P My collection is decorated with posed 6" pitties from the EP1 line  ;D ...I digress...

there better never be another rots mace windu repack again...there's no excuse after that SA Mace coming in 07.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2006, 11:34 AM by PITDROID1468 »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 7, 2006, 01:43 PM »
If Ephant Mon is so expensive and cost prohibitive to produce, then why did they did produce him to begin with?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: November 7, 2006, 02:10 PM »
I though the stock Hasbro answer was "because the rest of the stuff in the case with him was super-cheap to make".

Think back to the stuff that was packed in that case with him...

2x Ephant Mon
2x Watto - smaller than average figure
1x Teemto Pagalies - smaller than average figure
2x Tusken Raider with Massiff - simple repacks
1x Ki-Adi-Mundi - Jedi Master - kit-bash
1x Endor Rebel Soldier #2 - variant figure
2x Lott Dodd - Neimoidian Senator
1x Massiff with Geonosian Warrior

I would supect that the only way they could get away with doing him again would be a similar move - pack him with a pile of other repacks/repaints to offset the costs.  I just don't see it happening carded again though as the bubble would appear to be WAY too big for that 2007 card design. 

I still think the best likely hood for Ephant would be a Jabba's Palace type Battle Pack or something more suited to his large size.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 7, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Gotcha.  I agree, he's better off in a Battle Pack. 

Although his girth will account for the fifth figure.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2006, 03:40 PM »
From RS:

Greatest Hits 2007 Gets a new name

The official name of the line will be Saga Legends. Starting next spring, this line will run alongside The 30th Anniversary Collection throughout 2007. This will be a series of 20-24 straight repackaged figures from the entire modern line, complete with collector coins and including figures from across the entire modern Star Wars collection. The coins will be generic with the 6 different movie logos on them, depending on the character.

But here's something just for the fans...and where your vote really does count. 8 figures in the line will be specially designated as Saga Legends Fan's Choice. These will be the figures that YOU voted for in the tournament. So be sure to vote!

Interesting wording.  It's still not necessarily the top eight figures, I guess--it really sounds like it could be any eight figures from the field of sixty-four.  It'd be funny to see what would happen if Hasbro just kind of ignores the results and goes with whatever they want after this whole big tournament thing.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2006, 03:45 PM »
It could work either way.  They could release figs that lose - VOTC Boba maybe - or not release ones that win - Graxol - on account of their size.  You kind of just wish they would say that the top 8 or 4 or whatever figs get in and not have it be this wonky political type doublespeak.  It's toys, I mean c'mon.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2006, 04:20 PM »
More from Dan Curto:

8 figures from both Phase 1 (the forum polls)and Phase 2 (the current tournament) voting will be chosen under the Fan's Choice moniker. More on that will be revealed on Monday...

Also, just because a figure is or isn't in the current polls does not neccessarly mean that it won't be included in the line. I'll reveal the full line list in a few weeks time. Some of you will be happy....and some of you won't.

I didn't think it possible, but now I'm even more confused.

Okay, so, there's 20-24 figures total in next Spring's Saga Legends assortment.  Eight of those will be "Fan's Choice." 

But the eight "Fan's Choice" figures aren't necessarily going to be the top eight figures in the tournament--and they may not have even been in the initial field of sixty-four!

So the eight figures are coming from those huge lists of figures, which spanned the entire line, but then the other 12-16 figures are coming from the entire range of the line, too.

And then Hasbro's already gone through and removed certain figures from consideration, due to the fact that those figures were already planned for release, anyway. 

But then they're reserving the right to not make any of the figures in the tourn. . .

I guess what I'm trying to say is. . . 

What's the ******* point of doing a big "fan's choice" tournament, if you're not gonna go by the results?

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2006, 04:47 PM »
Matt, my impression of this "fan's choice" polling taking place is that it serves much the same purpose as Hasbro's Q&As at conventions:  It gives collectors the illusion that Hasbro is listening and communicating with them. 

My favorite part is that 8 figures total would be selected from Phase 1 and Phase 2, meaning that the RS forums are going to have a hand in the selection of some of the figures after all.  And gee, I wonder what RS forum members will have such influence?   ::)

(and yes, I'm wearing my tin foil hat as I type this)

I also find it immensely interesting that both Graxxol and Ephant Mon are suddenly losing in their respective races.  And with the complete lack of an SA white AOTC Clone Trooper at retail, and Hasbro's renewed interest in the EU giving hope to a newly-sculpted Darktrooper, people wouldn't be voting for a POTF2 figure that most people don't know anything about over the best AOTC troop builder that money can buy (and buy in multiples).

And I think it's interesting that Curto implies the full line list is already set in stone, making the voting right now a somewhat futile gesture.  So, to echo Matt:

What's the ******* point of doing a big "fan's choice" tournament, if you're not gonna go by the results?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Matt, my impression of this "fan's choice" polling taking place is that it serves much the same purpose as Hasbro's Q&As at conventions:  It gives collectors the illusion that Hasbro is listening and communicating with them. 

My favorite part is that 8 figures total would be selected from Phase 1 and Phase 2, meaning that the RS forums are going to have a hand in the selection of some of the figures after all.  And gee, I wonder what RS forum members will have such influence?   ::)

(and yes, I'm wearing my tin foil hat as I type this)

I also find it immensely interesting that both Graxxol and Ephant Mon are suddenly losing in their respective races.  And with the complete lack of an SA white AOTC Clone Trooper at retail, and Hasbro's renewed interest in the EU giving hope to a newly-sculpted Darktrooper, people wouldn't be voting for a POTF2 figure that most people don't know anything about over the best AOTC troop builder that money can buy (and buy in multiples).

And I think it's interesting that Curto implies the full line list is already set in stone, making the voting right now a somewhat futile gesture.  So, to echo Matt:

It's all crap. 

This is not remotely a shock. 

Fan's choice isn't a choice at all, it's a time filler that at the end of it all everyone can sit back, scratch there head and ask themselves well who the **** voted for that piece of ****?

So 'Scum, or as I call them headupmanufacturersass will simply smile and nod at what Hasbro tells them to do, giving the illusion that the "community" selected these figures.  Yeah, ok.  Keep believing that people.   
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.