Author Topic: molds of action figure hands?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
molds of action figure hands?
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:37 AM »
I was curious if anyone out there has made any decent molds of action figure hands with extended fingers that turned out any decent casts...
I have some ideas of how to revise my molds for this but figured I would try to get some input before I waste any more mold making material.(like the Commander Cody figure with the hand that the trigger finger also could be pointing for example...)

The problem I run into the most is air bubbles trapped in the curved fingers (often preventing them from forming at all).
I have an idea using clay and thin copper wire for air holes but figure I will see if anyone out here has some tested and proven advice first.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: molds of action figure hands?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure that glassman has done this.  I wonder if Rupercht's pressure pot would help too.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:37 PM »
I've never made hand molds before, but I think Glassman has, at least with superhero figures.

I'm sure with a pressure pot it'd make a big difference, though.  Other than that, my only suggestion is pour the cast material in very, very slowly, in the thinnest stream possible.

I'll try making one of Cody's hand, but I won't be able to until near the end of this week.

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I hope to make buy or make a pressure pot...(definitely will have to wait till after the holidays...)

I will give my idea a shot, since it wont use up too much mold making material to just to the test. Since I am adding the twisting articulation up near the elbow I am going to cast the hands and lower arms as one peice... (besides, realisticaly when you turn your hand over most your lower arm does the same anyway...unless its broken..)
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...