Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Toys (DST, Hasbro, & Joyride)  (Read 16466 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: No love for Galactica?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 10:52 PM »
What is it with SciFi geeks and Hooters?  The PSWCS has been known to frequent that establishment as well...   ;D

A complete and utter lack of a sex life? 

Hey, I resemble that remark...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Billy Ray

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Alamo City Star Wars Collectors
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 05:50 PM »
...possibly Hasbro?  They did allude to 3 3/4" BSG figures in one of their Q&As a while back.

They did mention that.  I hope Toy Fair 2007 gives us a glimpse.  Here's hoping it is Classis Galactica too.
\

Found the quote from the Q&A:
Since Hasbro is doing some of the SCI-FI Channel's Battlestar Galactica ships as Titaniums, will you be doing any action figures from the new series or the old TV series? Would they be in the same 3 3/4-inch scale as Star Wars figures if you did? (SWC, 9/22/06)

Yes, we do have plans and they are in the 3-3/4" scale. The first one up this Fall is the current Cylon. Look for that on shelves in Dec. As for 2007, there are more plans for both the new and old shows but you'll have to stay tuned.

I really hope that they weren't talking about more Titanium figures as it appears that they have cancelled that line.  A regular, good old, 3 3/4" line of BSG figures (Classic and current) would be "the bomb"!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Did you guys see that Diamond select has the License for figures now?

Is that good news? I am not familiar with their work, but it doesn't bode well for the Hasbro line I guess...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 09:43 PM »

Is that good news? I am not familiar with their work, but it doesn't bode well for the Hasbro line I guess...

Personally, I'm glad to see DST picked the line up.  Hasbro does some decent stuff, but I just don't see much success in a 3 3/4" BSG line and I would bet that's the direction they'd take it.  I'm really looking forward to see what DST has to offer, and it sounds like we'll see some stuff at Toy Fair.  Looking forward to it.  :)

BTW, here's the full press release if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.toytraderz.com/News/article/sid=426.html

John

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46 PM »
It sounds like it is only the New series they are making at least that is what they are pimpin.

What scale does DST usually make figures in?

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 12:20 AM »
It sounds like it is only the New series they are making at least that is what they are pimpin.

What scale does DST usually make figures in?
Usually larger scale (6" maybe and bigger).
Adam

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 03:41 AM »

DST Launches Battlestar Galactica Action Figures!

We are proud to announce a partnership with Universal Studios Consumer Products Group to manufacture action figures and ships based on the SCI FI hit original series, Battlestar Galactica!  Reimagined by Ron Moore, Battlestar Galactica tells the story of the last survivors of mankind and their quest to escape the murderous Cylons in their search for the mythical 13th Colony, Earth.

Battlestar Galactica premiered as a mini-series in 2003 to rave reviews from both critics and fans of the classic property, setting viewership records for the SciFi Channel.  Leaving much of traditional science fiction behind, the new Battlestar Galactica instead focused on character-driven conflicts and the series’ epic storytelling style as viewers followed the triumphs and hardships of the Colonial Fleet.  Having received the prestigious American Film Institute’s honorific “TV Program of the Year” for the second consecutive year, the stellar drama returns to the SciFi Channel on January 21st in a new timeslot; Sunday evenings at 10:00 pm EST. 

In addition to the riveting plots and special effects, Battlestar Galactica features an incredibly diverse cast of characters portrayed by a mix of seasoned veterans and Hollywood newcomers.  Accomplished actors Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell provide the necessary leadership as Admiral Adama and President Roslin, with a sizable supporting cast featuring the talents of Tricia Helfer, Katee Sackhof, Grace Park, Jamie Bamber and James Callis.  With guest stars like Lucy Lawless, Dean Stockwell and Battlestar Galactica veteran Richard Hatch, this impressive cast steals the show and delivers rock-solid performances week after week.

DST plans to release the first action figure assortment this summer.  The debut series will feature several key characters from the smash-hit series, including the seductive Six herself!  Specific product announcements, as well as timetables for their release dates, will be featured in future Diamond Select Toys communications and at next month’s American International Toy Fair.

Hey Paul, DST is currently making Stargate SG-1 figures. You can check them out here if you wantr to see some examples of their work.

I think DST would do a decent job with the line. They rehash more than Hasbro it seems and even them they are slow as hell when it comes to getting figures out. In the last year they've put out a whopping 2 waves. I kind of wish Sideshow had gotten the rights. Maybe even Hasbro. 3 3/4" scale take up a lot less space...
"This is the way."

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 3, 2007, 06:35 PM »

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 6, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Here are pics of some cute and sexy BSG items taken at the 2007 UK Toy Fair.  They're from Diamond Select and "Some Items Subject to Final Approval".

BSG Pics (Action-Figure.com)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 6, 2007, 03:24 PM »

Diamond Select isn't bad, they do the stuff like the Art Asylum Star Trek figures and those are pretty nice from a sculpt/paint/articulation/accessories standpoint.  It's not my favorite scale (6") but it's not bad at all.  I'm optimistic.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23 PM »
BSG Series 2 Announced

Looking forward to the Cylon.  :)

John

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2008, 05:41 PM »
This thread sure managed to fall way down the list...

So has anyone else here been collecting the DST figure line at all? I finally got to see my Series 1 stuff the other day and I have to say I had mixed feelings. Looking at the figures carded I was actually REALLY disappointed, to the point where I was considering dropping the line all together. The likeness on Six, Lee, and Anders really weren't that good. Lee is the best of the three I'd say but he isn't all that great. Hot Dog and Helo are by far the two best headsculpts of the wave IMO.

When I finally got around to opening the figures I felt a lot better about them. While carded they were posed in a way that made their legs look like they were sculpted with a really wide stance. As it turns out all the figures except the red dress Six have very nicely hidden ball-jointed legs. That really was a nice suprise. Articulation is actually one of the major pros this line has so far. Most figures have balljointed legs, shoulders, wrists, and heads, hinged knees and elbows with swivel biceps/thighs and a swivel waist and ankles. DST does reuse parts more than about any other company I've seen. The legs on Helo and Anders (and any subsequent figure that will be using those legs) are wider than I'd like them to be, even with the ball joints. The painting on all the figures seems to be consistent and for mass produced figures really is pretty good.

The figures leave something to be desired as far as the accessories go. Neither Six came with anything. They could have at least thrown in one of those cylon gadgets from '33', a briefcase for Caprica Six or something. Helo just came with his gun, which I guess when you consider he is in uniform makes sense. I have gotten use to DST's work on the Stargate lines where almost the entire bubble is packed with accessories, so seeing the BSG bubble so bare kind of sucks. I would have liked the pieces to build the draedus console or anthing else from the CIC, much like the Stargate line's bigger stuff. Lee and Hot Dog have a decent amount of goodies, they comes with sidearms, a helmet (it is very nice two piece design that fits snugly on the head), and two sets of hands one gloved, one bare. The peg on one of Hot Dog's hands already broke off inside his arm though so I'm going to have to find a way to get that out.  >:(

Anders comes with a machine gun and a sidearm. As I went to open this one i noticed one of his arms had already fallen off during shipping and was just floating around the package. Lucky they pop back on, but it still falls off every now and again.

I could have sworn I ordered exclusive Chief Tyrol from BBTS, but I haven't heard anything about him and when I checked their site again today he wasn't even listed anywhere. DST seems to be pretty bad with exclusives, hell 3 out of the 6 series 1 are exclusives somewhere. Luckily New Force seems to be able to get them all and they have them at a decent price. I was able to order a set of 6. They didn't have Chief Tyrol either and I looked around and couldn't find him anywhere. I looked on eBay and saw him from one US seller and two British sellers and that was it. He really looks like he will be a pain to track down.

So yeah, overall for the first series it wasn't too bad. I'll stick with the line for awhile. There definitely is room for improvement though. I'm excited for Series 2. Admiral Cain is looking like she will be just as difficult to track down as Tyrol though... I can't wait for Starbuck and am looking forward to seeing some real pictures of the cylon. Hopefully they will reveal some at ToyFair.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2008, 06:23 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Toys (DST, Hasbro, & Joyride)
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I wished Hasbro had put out a 3 3/4 line along side Star Wars.  that would have been sweet
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #28 on: March 2, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Anyone going to grab Amok Time's 12" Battlestar figures?   They're redistributing the Starbuck, Apollo and Adama previously released by Majestic, redoing the two Cylons, and then releasing some new figures - Athena, Lucifer, Cain, Tigh and Boomer.  The figures look great and hopefully the line does well enough that we'll see the likes of Baltar, an Ovion and the Imperious Leader.  :)

John

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2008, 04:22 PM »
They look awsume and I love the Bridge pieces but I am sticking to jusy one scale these days if it kills me.  Maybe one day I will get my battlestar in 3 3/4 scale. I just hope they do as good a job or better as these are.
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.