Author Topic: Do You Still Use (Or Have) a VCR?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Still Use (Or Have) a VCR?
« on: November 30, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Just curious if anyone here still uses (or even has) a VCR?  To be honest, we've always kind of been people tape stuff - when we're gone, or just taping our favorite shows to pop in when we're bored on a weekend or something.  This year we finally got a DVR, so we've been using that more and more and its much more convenient.  We still use the VCR from time to time, but fairly rarely at this point.  With DVRs (or Tivo), DVDs, and even online content it seems like you don't have to use them as much anymore.  Our VCR in our main living area seems to be pooping out now, and we're debating on whether or not to even get another one at all.  We have another VCR in our basement (DVD/VCR combo actually), so we're still set for things that are currently only on VHS (like family home videos, wedding video, etc.) - but I'm guessing we'll eventually get those converted to DVD as well.  Anyways, just curious if anyone here still uses a VCR or if you even have one (or many) hooked up in your home?

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Still Use (Or Have) a VCR?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:22 PM »
we still have one hooked up for the rare occasion that we need to record 2 things at the same time, but otherwise we never use it.   also, i assume that at some time i will need it to convert the same sort of items you mentioned from vhs to dvd.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I had two until last week - I brought one to goodwill and left the other one.

But we don't use it.  Maybe twice a year to tape something if we're not home?

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:25 PM »
I have 3 VCRs in use right now, with a 4th I've got in the garage in case the others break. I've been using VCRs since birth (well, they've been around since I was born) and it will be hard to get used to something else. I've never had TIVO or a DVR, but they could prove interesting. Right now though, I've got JAG, NCIS, Numb3rs, Nash Bridges, and most of the Law & Order series on VHS, so it'd be awhile until I make the switch.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:43 PM »
I still have 4 VHS & 2 Beta's & my Betacam recorder.  :-*

Offline Darth Jaxx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • POTF2.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 08:04 PM »
I still have a VCR hooked up to the main TV in the living room, but can't remember the last time I ever used it.

I have DirecTV with TIVO on all 3 TVs in the house, so I'm not sure why I still have a VCR player.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:07 PM »
My family has two DVD/VCR combo units that get used fairly often. No way in Hell that I'm going to rebuy all of my VHS tapes on DVD. (I still own 5/6s of the Star Wars saga on tape)

-Greg
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:07 PM by Greg »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07 PM »
I have on on the living room set, but it is basically a video switch.  The tv is old and only has a coax input..the dvd player doesn't have a coax output, so video goes from the DVD through the vcr to the TV.

Classy...I know.  Can't remember the last time i put a tape in it though.

We have a second one in my little boy's room as a lot of his favorite movies are on tape.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 11:16 PM »
As long as the two that I have continue to work, I'll have them.  With as many tapes as I have of movies, music videos, shows and other recordings that are only on VHS tape, it'll be a while until I finally retire my VHS machines.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 1, 2006, 06:32 AM »
We still have a VCR hooked up in the family room.  My little boy uses it to watch older movies on video -- though I hope the kids out grow the videos well before the VCR gives up the ghost. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 1, 2006, 07:05 AM »
We have a VCR/DVD combo in the living room.  We also have a PS2, Dish network, and a DVD player.  We haven't even plugged in the VCR since moving and probably won't.  When we need the DVD player, we have the PS2 and DVD.  If we want to record something, we have two TV's with DVR cabability.  So, like I said, we'll probably never plug in the VCR combo.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 1, 2006, 07:13 AM »
I keep hearing that TiVo cuts off shows so I never purchased one.  I also haven't gotten around to buying a DVR so I still use my VCR to tape TV shows when I'm going to miss them.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2006, 09:40 AM »
Still have two VCR's. Don't have Tivo, DVR or cable for that matter.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Yeah I still have one.  I use it primarily for my kids' tapes (Disney, etc) and the rare movie I still haven't repurchased on DVD.  It's probably 10+ years old now so I'm sure it will be dying soon.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I still use my VCR to record program throught the week, like when the Mrs. wants to watch something at the same time I want to watch something (Tuesday and THrusday nights).

I haven't decided to pay for a DVR or TiVo to this point.  I'd rather play one flat fee than a monthly fee.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate