Author Topic: Deathsticks guy - Like 'em or Hate 'em?  (Read 7358 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Deathsticks guy - Like 'em or Hate 'em?
« on: June 4, 2003, 03:29 AM »
I noticed awhile back that a few people were really upset about the rumor of the Deathsticks guy (Elan Sleazebaggo) becomming a figure... I was pretty surprised that there were actually people out there who disliked the druggy...  So, how's abouit a little poll here =

Deathsticks guy = Like him or Hate him?

Me - I think he's pretty cool, even though "deathsticks" sounds a bit lame, drugs in real-life get a lame nicknames all the time (seeing as marijuana has gotten the nickname "anthrax" as of late  ::) ). I say, make him a figure, he's cool in my book.

obi_robz

Re: Deathsticks guy - Like 'em or Hate 'em?
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2003, 12:04 PM »
I thought that his antennae looked a little silly, kind of like a cheapo alien from a 30s or 40s sci-fi B-movie. Having said that, Star Wars is partially inspired by Flash Gordon, so perhaps Elan Sleazebaggo’s a nod to that. God, even his name sounds like he’s from a black and white sci-fi serial. These things don’t work without irony George! – “Dr Evil”?… in Austin Powers?…that GL, is an ironic name   ::).

Erm, so I liked him, but thought he looked a bit silly in a SW movie. Comic relief in a tense situation is all well and good, but not if it interrupts the suspension of disbelief.

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2003, 12:06 PM »
More new figures?  Why not.  WTF is up with that name???  That's lame!!!
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2003, 12:46 PM »
I did not really like that guy.  I thought he was really cheesy.  But I did like Obi-Wan's line to him and the fact that he left the bar.  LOL!  

As far as a figure goes.  Sure, why not.  It was one of the more funnier moments of ATOC and the series.  If Pote Snitkin can get a figure made so can that dude.

obi_robz

« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Forgot to say that I’d still be happy for Hasbro to make a figure of him. I’ll take variety over rehashes and more versions of core characters any day (unless the new version corrects a longstanding fault in a common figure, of course).

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2003, 04:17 PM »
I couldn't stand that guy at all.  I wish he wasn't in the movie, because he wasn't good enough to be the movie.  Not a good actor, terrible choice for a character, and no way in hell would I want him to be a figure.  It would be the one figure I wouldn't consider buying from the Saga series.

Can you tell I just don't like him?   ;)
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2003, 05:30 PM »
I rather liked him because he was a throwback to "cheap" costume days...  Had a Star Trek Feel...  I also like that he's dealing intergalactic narcotics which I feel is an "area" the EU neglects a lot.

I did NOT like his name...  Whatever uncreative putz thought that up needs fired.  I could come up with a better name using just the letters out of a newspaper headline.

The look didn't bother me though, as not all aliens can be elaborate CGI creations and such.  Nice to see something "cheap" as a throwback to the Cantina.  

He wasn't my favorite character of E2 though.  I felt there were many well-created aliens in that film, and better than him.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2003, 10:23 PM »
This would have been the perfect opportunity for an OT cameo. What if it was a young Lando trying to interest Obi-Wan in a game of Sabacc? Or an pre-Admiral Ackbar soliciting fish head? If George is hell-bent on intertwining as many OT characters into the PT, why not throw in one more?
Post sober.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2003, 12:46 AM »
Or an pre-Admiral Ackbar soliciting fish head?

From street walking drug addict giving out "favors" and turning tricks for his next fix, all the way to Admiral of the Alliance to Restore the Republic's main battle fleet?

Impressive for a Red Lobster Entree.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2003, 09:36 AM »
Kinda brings a whole new meaning to the term "Jedi Mind Trick," doesn't it.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2003, 05:58 PM »
I thought Elan Sleazebaggano was interesting, if not a little cheesy.  But at least Lucas threw him in there and wasn't afraid to show off some of the underbelly of the SW universe, drugs and all...  But yeah, he looked rather "old-school", which didn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the club's environment.  But it didn't really bother me much.  Obi-Wan's mind trick on the dope was pretty funny though!

As for a figure, heck yeah!  If the dude was in the movie, then go ahead and make him Hasbro!  But maybe you could hammer out a few more of the cool OT background characters and aliens first though...   ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2003, 08:02 PM »
Obi:  ***waves hand*** "You will meet me in the speederbus station bathroom in 5 minutes..."

Ackbar:  "I will meet you in the speederbus station bathroom in 5 minutes"  ***drooling slightly***

Obi: ***waves hand again*** "You will not tell anyone about this..."

Ackbar:  "I will not tell anyone about this..."  

Obi:  ***Waves hand again***  "You will receive a chocolate bar from me...."

Ackbar:  "You'll give me a chocolate bar..."

Obi:  ***waves hand*** "move along..."

Eh, for some reason I thought of Beavis when Butthead made fun of him for "meeting that guy in the bathroom stall", then Beavis telling Butthead to shut up but saying "At least I got a candybar out of it..."

;D

Offline Batman

• Youngling
  • I'm Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2003, 08:04 PM »
He's cool with me.  Making his figure is another story though!  I think other more important people should be made before the deathsticks guy :P.
Corey aka Batman

"Even the smallest people can change the course of the future."

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
Re: Re: Deathsticks guy - Like 'em or Hate 'em?
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 03:40 PM »
Star Wars is partially inspired by Flash Gordon

Are you talking about the Flash Gordon movie or the earlier comics?  Because my copy of Flash Gordon the movie says 1978, while the original Star Wars was made in 1977.

I thought the deathsticks scene was great!  It was the best laugh of the whole movie.  It reminded me of some of the humor Han Solo brings to the original trilogy.

I don't think Hasbro should make a figure of that character though.   I think they make too many of the pointless people anyways.
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

obi_robz

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2003, 06:01 PM »

Star Wars is partially inspired by Flash Gordon

Are you talking about the Flash Gordon movie or the earlier comics?  Because my copy of Flash Gordon the movie says 1978, while the original Star Wars was made in 1977.

Neither, I was referring to the black and white serials from the 30s

Lucas has said he wanted the Saturday matinee cliffhanger adventure serial feel for Star Wars. The idea of the opening crawl is basically just lifted from Flash Gordon.