Author Topic: Which Toyline Do You Feel is the Best Value?  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Which Toyline Do You Feel is the Best Value?
« Reply #15 on: June 7, 2006, 09:50 PM »
The $5 pricetag is more than a Corps figure obviously...  But like I said, you get what you paid for with Corps...  $1 and you get a poor sculpt, some somewhat shoddy construction/design, paint applications are horrid really...  BBI you have 100% realistic accuracy, articulation out the yingyang, and tons of little gear that's accurate in scale to the figure even.  Paint applications and construction are above even Hasbro's best efforts really....

For best value, to me you're paying more but getting every cent worth...  Corps you pay less but you also get substandard product with it ultimately, at least to me... 

Well for a kid like me with little money, and SW as my main hobby, Corps! is great, as you get figures for $1 and vehicles for $5. And have you even bought any Corps! products? If not, you can't really say they're of crappy quality, they are actually pretty good IMO.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: June 8, 2006, 01:02 AM »
Bought?  No...  GOtten in trades, yes...

But do I really have to buy it to look at its paint applications and cite that as being "bad"?  Construction/durability and the materials quality I'd agree with, but I've had them in-hand and popped apart, and I stand by what I said...  They're generally lower quality. 

As I drew my comparison with Power-Team-Elite, which are similar in nature to the Corps line, I feel you get a better quality/durable toy out of the PTE line...  Sculpt quality on PTE is slightly better, articulation is miles better though...  Not to say that PTE is great by any means...  Their accessories/vehicles/sets are what I find worth the purchase as Corps and PTE neither one are appealing custom figure bits for me...  I'd take a pile of the guard towers or hedgehogs any day from PTE though. :)

But anyway, one need only look at the incredibly undetailed work in the sculpting and the paintjobs to make an initial judgement on corps figures I think, but yes I do have some in-hand and I do find they feel as cheap as their price implies them to be is all.  Not my cup of tea at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:52 AM »
I got to thinking about this again while we were discussing the Marvel Titanium figure in the Marvel thread - that line in general (Star Wars or otherwise) seems so overpriced for what it is.  Sure, they're metal and the packaging is pretty ornate, but it still seems pretty steep.  With all the rising prices throughout collecting lately, what do you think are some of the best values at this point?  The DC Superheroes line seems high at about $10 each, especially when Marvel Legends can range anywhere from $6-something to $8-something.  When Legends can be bought for that price, I don't think that's too bad of a deal.  Some Star Wars figures are a good value, depending on the quality and the price/sale/price cut.  The more we get into the $7 and above range though, the figures really have to step it up in quality.  It seems like one of the best values out there - although I don't have any at this point - is the newer Marvel Icons line.  It sounds like everyone is pretty positive about them, they are 12" and well articulated, and tend to land in the $15 to $16 price range.  Not many have the space for a lot of 12" stuff, but that's a lot of figure for $15.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2006, 02:19 AM »
The price gouging in Star Wars is just out of hand...  And it's due nothing more than to the fact the line is hot and they know they can milk it out at retail.  These are $5.99 toys at best...  $4.99 is more like it.

The best value to me is still BBI, 21st Century Toys...  For $4.99 you get Super Articulated 1:18 figures with outstanding scupts, multiple accessories, in some cases multiple heads, multiple sets of posed and poseable arms...  In vehicle terms you get 1:18 scaled aircraft comprised of so many individual parts it's insane, no screw-holes but instead put together with glue and such to minimize unsightly marks.  Painted details, no "stickers".  Usually includes a super articulated pack-in figure (sometimes the only way you can get that figure btw)...  Some of the 1:18 armor vehicles are made with real die-cast metal and cost not a dime more or less than a plastic version (Tiger I and Sherman both got this treatment).  They make also some RC versions of their 1:18 tanks that cost the SAME as the plain toy version...

Not to mention that 21st and BBI are both small privately held companies that don't have a fraction of the capital investment to put into product development and production that Hasbro does...  It's insane.  I've seen nothing that compares really where you get that high level of quality at a "fair" price.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13 PM »
Chap Mei wins hands down when you consider the whole "more bang for your buck" theory.

My sentiments, too. The value isn't as apparent when they're sold through TRU (partnered with Animal Planet) or through K-Mart. But through Big Lots, you can pick up a wide assortment. (The Knights set sucks, though.)

Not a fan of the Corps. Several years ago I did pick up some Space Corps. The helmets looked like they could be used for Star Wars trooper customs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 11:17 PM by Jedi Idej »