Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50485 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Went on a music-game tear since the last time I was here.

Two weeks ago, Target had RB2 (disc-only) on sale for $44.  I went to get it price-matched at Best Buy for the Reward Zone points.  BB was doing a thing where RZ members would get a $10 gift card with RB2.  So the cashier gives me the price match and gives me the gift card on top of that.

Last week, BB had a coupon for RZ members to get $20 off various Guitar Hero bundles.  They had the GH: Aerosmith bundle priced at $50, so I went and grabbed one of those.  Then I used my $10 gift card from the week before, so I snagged the Aerosmith game (with guitar) for $22.50 total. 

Then I went to Wal-Mart and picked up their exclusive AC/DC Rock Band Track Pack.  They had recently marked it down to $30 (it was originally $40).  But they had a "gift set" available for the same price, which includes the game, along with a live AC/DC DVD, and an AC/DC t-shirt, so I got all that stuff for $30.

I know I've said before that I'm not too keen on the one-band-oriented music games, and I'm still not (with the exception of next year's Beatles game), but I don't feel too bad about these.  The Aerosmith bundle was a steal for $23, and the AC/DC game is cool because all of those tracks can be exported into Rock Band or Rock Band 2.  I'm planning on selling the gift set off once I get those tracks exported.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2008, 05:13 PM »
GH: Metallica?  Great Googly Moogly.   :o

I am soooooo all over that.   ;D

Guitar Hero: Metallica arrives early 2009

We all knew it was coming, but now Guitar Hero: Metallica is 100% official. Speaking to USA today, Neversoft's Alan Flores and Metallica's Lars Ulrich and Kirk Hammett discussed the game and some of its features. The story of the game is that players are members of a band that tours with Metallica, covering its songs at different venues. Neversoft decided that the game couldn't work chronologically, as Metallica's early work would be far too difficult at the beginning of the game. Concerning difficulty, Flores says that the game will be "a lot harder" than previous Guitar Hero games, and is aimed squarely at hardcore players. So then, should we just give up now?

The game should arrive early next year, with Ulrich specifically mentioning March.

Count me out for this one.  I like Metallica and all, but the their tracks in RB and GH are excruciatingly boring and at the same time incredibly difficult to play through, as far as I'm concerned.  (And the guitar solo in "One" is single-handedly responsible for me not being able to finish the Hard level in GH III).  A fun song to listen to does not necessarily equal a fun song to play.

Anyway, no GH:M for me, at least not until I can score it for around $20 or so.

(And please Neversoft somehow make these compatible with GH:WT the way that Harmonix has done with the AC/DC pack for Rock Band.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Why Rock Band is better than Guitar Hero, Reason 57,427,083:

VGA 08: Rock Band gets Pearl Jam 'Ten' in March

Backstage at the VGAs, GTTV's Geoff Keighley just revealed that Pearl Jam's Ten album will be releasing to Rock Band next March. No, we didn't stutter, Pearl Jam is coming to Rock Band! We suspect all eleven tracks will be included in the album release, but highly doubt any of the bonus material will make the cut. Pearl Jam headed to Rock Band, you know you love it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I know I've said before that I'm not too keen on the one-band-oriented music games, and I'm still not (with the exception of next year's Beatles game), but I don't feel too bad about these. 

Do you think the Beatles songs are going to be fairly easy for the most part?  I know some of the later stuff is more complicated, but songs like I want to hold your hand? Are going to be difficult?  Really?  How?  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Beatles. 

The Aerosmith bundle was a steal for $23
Meh, have you played it yet?  I guess for a bundle it is a hell of a deal, but I'm still really disappointed by the Aerosmith game.  I was ready for a new set of songs when it came out, so I bought it, but it cost at least twice as much as it should have.  I found it too easy and too short.  Not cool.  $23 would be about right. 

How many tracks on the AC/DC pack?  I've contemplated it, but I think I may wait for it to go down a bit. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2008, 10:48 PM »
Do you think the Beatles songs are going to be fairly easy for the most part?  I know some of the later stuff is more complicated, but songs like I want to hold your hand? Are going to be difficult?  Really?  How?  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Beatles.

As guitar-only tracks, yeah, they'll probably be pretty simple.  But I think the real appeal of this game will be playing as a full band.

Meh, have you played it yet? (Aerosmith)

Yeah, I went through Hard in a day and am currently going back through Easy and Medium (for the money) and will go through Expert after that.  It is what it is.  I needed a second guitar, and they sell for $50 by themselves.  So, for less than half of that, I got a guitar and 40+ songs from a band (or bands) that I more or less dig.  Easily worth it to me at that price.

How many tracks on the AC/DC pack?  I've contemplated it, but I think I may wait for it to go down a bit. 

Eighteen tracks.  From Wiki:

1. "Thunderstruck"
   2. "Shoot to Thrill"
   3. "Back in Black"
   4. "Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be"
   5. "Heatseeker"
   6. "Fire Your Guns"
   7. "Jailbreak"
   8. "The Jack"
   9. "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
  10. "Moneytalks"
  11. "Hells Bells"
  12. "High Voltage"
  13. "Whole Lotta Rosie"
  14. "You Shook Me All Night Long"
  15. "T.N.T."
  16. "Let There Be Rock"
  17. "Highway To Hell"
  18. "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)"

Note that all of the tracks are live versions and were taken from the 1991 Live at Donington show.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2008, 11:47 PM »
TRU is apparently running a deal right now for the Rock Band 2 full band bundle (360 and PS3, normally $189) for $110, plus a $25 TRU Gift Card.  Really, really nice deal.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Thanks Matt. 

I agree that for the price you paid the Aerosmith version was well worth it.  I'm just sour I paid what I paid for it is all.  I enjoyed the songs for what they were, my biggest gripe was that I found the game too easy (on hard).  This is a similar complaint to what I've found for World Tour and I'm not sure if it is because the games got easier or I just got better. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40 PM »
my biggest gripe was that I found the game too easy (on hard).  This is a similar complaint to what I've found for World Tour and I'm not sure if it is because the games got easier or I just got better. 

It's a little bit of both, I think.  Everybody gets better the more they play, but the difficulty is definitely turned down from GH III.  It's in the timing, it's much looser and forgiving.  I remember several times, thinking "there's no way I would have hit that passage in GH III." 

Doesn't really bother me that much, because I've always thought that GH III was way too difficult to begin with.  A year later, and I still haven't finished Hard, and am probably only about halfway through Expert.  I just hit that brick wall, and don't know if I'll ever go back to it at this point.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Big lots has GHIII with wireless guitar for ps2 for $47.50. However, I did hear of Target have GH4 with Guitar for Wii for $69.99 at one point.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2008, 12:21 PM »
I agree that for the price you paid the Aerosmith version was well worth it.  I'm just sour I paid what I paid for it is all.  I enjoyed the songs for what they were, my biggest gripe was that I found the game too easy (on hard).

How far have you gotten on Expert?

I hit the brick wall the other day, and its name is "Back in the Saddle".  That excessively-long solo at the end has been giving me fits.  I've failed at 92%, 87%, and 97% (!).  So close, yet so far.  I'll get through it eventually.

Smooth sailing for me otherwise.

In other fake plastic guitar game news, I got all my Rock Band 1 and AC/DC songs transferred over to Rock Band 2 the other day.  Being able to play nearly every song from one disc is an incredibly attractive feature to me, and I think it's probably the main reason I prefer Rock Band over Guitar Hero.  I really hope the Beatles game is that way, too, but somehow I get the feeling it won't be.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:24 PM by Matt »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2008, 02:00 PM »
I don't know :-\  I haven't pulled out the Aerosmith game since the late summer or early fall, so I really don't recall how far I got.  I'll check but I'd probably have stopped in only the second or third set I'd guess.

Hoping for RB2 or the AC/DC expansion pack for Christmas.

Oh.  Remember to charge the rechargeable batteries.  Nothing like trying to figure out why you've slid so far backwards in skill and trying to force your way through to no avail and then realize three days later maybe the batteries are dying. ::)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Santa brought Guitar Hero World Tour this Christmas.  Overall pretty good...I'm digging playing to the likes of Tool, System of a Down and Mars Volta.  But it's killing me to listen to crap like Jimmy Eat World and Blink 182.  Agonizing.

I've played drums more than anything, but I find them to be kind of touchy.  It seems to register two to three times as many misses as I'm actually missing.  I'll find that the game thinks I've hit a wrong note for no apparent reason, and it happens a *lot*.  Becomes kind of frustrating, actually.

John

Offline TerdVader

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 1, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I've asked this question alot on a bunch of forums, and yahoo answers over the last few days. I get alot of answers. But I don't htink any of them have yet been the same. I got RB2 for PS3 for Christmas, we couldn't pas it up with the awesome deal TRU was having. I've never played RB 1 on my system so there is no save data. If I go out an buy RB1, do I have to play the game through to get all the songs, then export them to my RB2 set? Which really should be my 1st question, when I export the songs, I no longer need the disc for RB1 right? And if that's the case, couldn't I just rent a RB1 game and get the songs? No, I'm not looking to rip off the company that makes the game, but I don't want to use PSN for paying for, and downloading songs, until I know how many of those are included on RB1.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 2, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Which really should be my 1st question, when I export the songs, I no longer need the disc for RB1 right? And if that's the case, couldn't I just rent a RB1 game and get the songs?

I don't see why that wouldn't work
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #194 on: January 5, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I can't speak for the PS3, but as far as the 360 goes, there are only a couple of (negligible) reasons to keep the RB1 disc once you've exported the tracks into RB2. 

One reason is that not all the tracks were exported into RB2.  So if you want to play "Enter Sandman" and the covers of "Run to the Hills" and "Paranoid," hang on to the RB1 disc.

The other reason is Achievements (which I guess is not a factor at all on the PS3).

Personally, I don't see myself ever putting the RB1 disc back in now that I've got (most of) the tracks transferred over to RB2.  Guess I should get rid of it (along with the AC/DC game).

In other news, I bought the Who track pack for Rock Band the other day, and I have a new found respect for John Entwistle's bass-playing.  That's some tough stuff!