Author Topic: army building questions  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
army building questions
« on: December 8, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Just curious of course--

For the army builder out there, Does anyone have huge clone or otherwise type armies with no one to fight. For instance if your thing is clones and you're hooked on 'em, what is their adversary? I mean..if the goal is to have this huge clone army "for the republic" then, is it just for looks or play? Do they have a matching adversary regimen or are the clones just pointing their guns, or marching towards nothing in the room?

My sons' thing is clones..not really army buiding just one of each type loose making for a rainbow troop movement. They have no adversary though for them to do battle against. So you have 50+ troops pointing their guns at nothing and I don't understand it :-\. Is this a behaviour normal amongst army guys?

Wondering
TheDS
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 03:17 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: army building question
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2006, 09:29 PM »
I have a huge imperial army (ok not huge, but size is relative)....

They have the "heroes" to fight and a couple Endor Rebels and 6 Rebel Fleet Troopers.

The best fight they could hope for would be my tribe of 24 VSTC Tuskens...

I don't have a single Hoth Rebel trooper (I have Maj. Derlin)....in fact I am pretty sure my Death Star Gunner Army could take out the Rebellion all by itself...

So that is my Army dilemna...

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2006, 10:03 PM »
nearly a dozen E3 clones and a random jedi vs. 4 SBDs 2 droidekas and a battle droid.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Well I'm not really an army-builder when it comes to any figures, but I guess you could say that clones make up a noticable amount of my collection (not even close to being a majority, though). Lately I've been putting forth the effort to start to get some more Separatists to fight them, but it's been a failed attempt (hey, at least I'm trying).

I'm hoping that the SBD coming out in Wave 1 of the TAC will help even things out a bit. ;D
Yo is what yo is.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2006, 01:01 PM »
i have about 20 imps and 20 clones. 10 Droids for the clones to fight and like 5 rebel troops plus heroes for the imps. but at the same time i usually split up my clones and imps anyways. keeping my sandies in the cantina and scouts with the rebel troops "fighting" it out.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2006, 01:09 PM »
im not that much of an army builder i usually only buy 6 of each of the troops if i realy like them and 2 of each commanders. i barley have a cis army so what i usually do is have like the imperials and cis vs my ep3 clone and ep2 clones and i think its actually more fun then having droids fight clones bc its almost like a real war, plus when the new SB droids come out i hope to buy some of them to make it a more even fight ;)
« Last Edit: December 9, 2006, 01:11 PM by 212th Battalion »
Momar and Fester

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2006, 03:17 PM »
im not that much of an army builder i usually only buy 6 of each of the troops

I'd say that's an oxymoron. :-\
Yo is what yo is.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:11 AM »
lol
Momar and Fester

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 01:07 AM »
My focus in the past few years has definitely been on Clone Troopers.  They just seem to be the coolest army builders on the market.  But I definitely have done some army building with other army units like:

-Gungan Warriors
-Battle Droids
-Destroyer Droids
-Super Battle Droids (can't wait for the 30AC version!)
-Naboo Guards & Soldiers
-Rebels (Fleet Troopers, Hoth Troopers & Endor Troopers)
-Imperials (Stormtroopers, DS Gunners, DS Troopers & Imperial Officers)

Most of these probably haven't been done to the degree that my Clone Army has been built up, but some of them are pretty respectable.  Mainly the Gungans, Battle Droids & Stormtroopers.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 03:52 AM »
Thanks guys for the replys.   I must sat I'm impressed ..that coming from th e
most hated sith lord in here-- sorry not not much of a response after 20 beers tonight..however I was able to walk home from th pub ar leaast. Ir still looks like more clones then droids though.. maybe the new camo droids can even thinfgs out but..I dunno. :-\

Yours
The DS

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 10:21 AM »
Cool question. I usually like to have my Bad guys out number my good guys. You know, it's more heroic that way.

For the PT, I have a federation army of more than 100 pieces. When against my AOTC army, it's a great challenge as I only have a platoon of 36 clones, maybe two platoons if you count the non-SA ones. When against the ROTS clones, due to the fact that there are more clone varieties, these clones happen to outnumber the Federation forces since I have one squad of nine of every clone.

Most of you know that I'm putting together a Battalion of Imperial forces for the OT. That's 576 troops, but I'm only at around the 500 mark. I have got more than a few rebels, but since there hasn't been any really great/ultimate rebel soldiers yet, I haven't assemble a huge army.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 01:27 PM »

Clone wars:
Republic:
Episode 2/Clone Wars:
-17 SA Clones
-3 Value Pack Clone Troopers
-6 ARC Troopers
-2 ARC Captains
-2 Infantry Clones with Speeder Bikes
-2 Evolution Infantry Clones
-Commander Scorch
-Command Gunship
-ARC Trooper Republic Gunship
TOTAL: 33 Soldiers
              4 Ships/ Vehicles
Episode Three:
-8 #65 501st Clone Troopers
-13 #26 Utapau Clone Troopers
-7 Infantry Clones (2 Tanks Gunners, 1 Jet Pack, 4 White SA)
-6 Shock Troopers (4 Quick Draw, 2 #41)
-8 Clone Pilots (4 White/Grey, 4 Black)
-6 Grey Clones (2 Evolutions, 4 Jet Pack)
-6 Clone Commanders (4 Red, 2 Green)
-5 AT-RT Drivers
-4 Saleucami Clone Troopers
-2 Commander Baccaras (1 Blue, 1 Normal)
-Commander Bly
-Commander Cody
-2 Spec Ops Soldiers (2 Utapau Shadow Troopers)
-AT-RT w/ Driver
-Commander Gree
TOTAL: 72 Soldiers
              1 Vehicle

Separatists:
-11 Nemoidian Warriors
-2 Nemoidian Commanders
-6 Battle Droids (2 ROTS, 4 Clone Wars)
-6 Super Battle Droids (2 ROTS, 4 Clone Wars)
-7 Destroyer Droids (2 ROTS, 5 Clone Wars)
-1 Destroyer Droid Launcher
-3 Spider Droids (2 Clone Wars, 1 ROTS)
-AAT
-Hailfire Droid
-Sun Fac
-Geonosian Fighter
-Droid Tri-Fighter
-2 Vulture Droids (1 Blue, 1 Green)
-7 Buzz Droids
TOTAL: 40 Soldiers
            10 Ships/ Vehicles
Galactic Civil War:
Galactic Empire:
-7 Sandtroopers (5 TSC, 2 Poop/Grey Evolutions)
-2 Scout Trooper (VTSC)
-2 Death Star Gunners (TSC)
-3 Snow Troopers (2 TSC, 1 TSC UGH )
-1 AT-AT Driver (TSC UGH)
-2 Storm Troopers (1 George Lucas, 1 DVD Set)
-1 Darth Vader Advanced TIE Fighter
-2 Imperial Guards (ROTS)
TOTAL: 21 Soldiers
              1 Ship
Rebel Alliance:
-Bren Derlin
-Chief Cherpa
-General Reikann
-4 Endor Rebel Soldiers (Saga 2)
-Zev Senesca
-Rebel Alliance Modified Airspeeder
TOTAL: 8 Soldiers
            1 Ship

Other:-3 Senate Guards (ROTS)
-12 Various Wookie Warriors (ROTS)
-1 Wookie Helicopter
-1 VTSC Sand People
-2 Utapau Warriors
-2 Fire Speeder Pilots
-3 Naboo Solider(TSC)
TOTAL: 20 Soldiers
              1 Ship

Just to say a few things... I never mix Episode 2 and Episode 3, so for the Clone Wars it's either 33 against 40 or 72 against 40.
   With my small Rebel Alliance, army, I like to arm and add Cantina Aliens/Jabba's Palace Aliens/Other Background Characters to those 4 Rebel Soldiers. I find that the Naboo Soldiers are good as early Rebel Alliance troops. When I add the aliens and other figures, my Rebel Alliance army is almost equal to my Imperial Army. Only for 19 days, though, as I'm getting an AT-AT on my B-Day this year. :)

-Greg

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 03:36 PM »
I not much of a Army builder collector, but now the SA 501st Trooper coming out in the Legends line, I going to buy about 5 of them. The Feluca Battle Pack is the perfect AB, I am going to two of them.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 04:15 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 04:25 PM »
The lack of definitive figures for non-Republic/Imperial troops has forced me into the elastic set-up I've had for the past few years now.

Clone Wars era:

While ideally I would prefer to have more Confederate Forces than Republic, the lack of suitable droid army builders has forced me to take a creative and pragmatic approach to my Clone Wars era armies. I have 150 or so Republican troops, with most of those being Episode III clones (it's a 60/40 split). I have 40 or so 'solid' Confederate troops, with 50 or so non-affiliated/militia type guys that I also use to suppliment my Rebel forces or OT dioramas or what have you.

Galactic Civil War era:

I have a disproportionally large Imperial force. 200 or so figures, several AT-ATs, etc. I'm fairly certain that it's supposed to be that way for the majority of the OT, so it makes sense. I have approx. 90 'solid' Rebel figures, with the aforementioned non-affiliated/militia folks acting as back-up where needed.

Personally, I think this arrangement works. I'm not that big of an Army Builder anymore ... the majority of my forces were amassed between 2002 and 2005. I've stopped Army Building with ships wholesale, however. 3 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, etc... I guess since I really no longer play with my stuff it's not worth the money to buy all of them.

Army Building is, however, very fun and very enjoyable. I would encourage anyone able to partake in the practice to do so, as it is Star Wars afterall.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -