Author Topic: Merry Christmas to Me  (Read 3532 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Merry Christmas to Me
« on: December 11, 2006, 10:38 PM »
Sorry for the length everyone, but I still can't believe my luck.

I've been looking to get a Darth Maul FX Lightsaber to take apart and use the hilt to make a full hilt version of my Battle Damaged saber.  Late last week, I ended up contacting an ebay member that sells a lot of 'customer returns' to find out if they had any that were not functioning since I really only needed them for the hilts.  They responded to me that they indeed had 2 that they were looking to get rid of.  One of them did not have a battery pack and the other had a battery pack that 'could not be removed' they told me.  They also didn't have the caps on the end that hold the battery packs in, so they said that they would throw in two of the connection pieces that create the double bladed versions.  I ended up negotiating a price of $15 each + $15 shipping.

I received these today.  They are in excellent condition.  Both hilts have scratches you wouldn't notice unless you were really looking hard, and the blades show no signs of damage at all.  So on a hunch, I took the battery pack from one of my BD DM sabers, threw some batteries in it, and put it in the one saber that didn't come with a batter pack.  I flipped the switch and it fired up immediately! The blade is in perfect shape (no dead spots).  I have since gotten a hold of Master Replicas and they are sending me a replacement battery pack...  So basically I obtained one Battle Damaged Darth Maul FX saber for $15 ;D!

I then grabbed the one with the battery pack stuck in it.  Using some needle nose pliers, I pulled the battery pack out with relative ease.  The reason it was stuck was because the previous owner wrapped a rubber band around it for some reason and then put it in the hilt.  I'm going to assume that they lost the end cap and the rubber band was holding the battery pack in place.  Regardless, I put in some fresh batteries, popped the battery pack back in the hilt, and presto, it fired up immediately!  Again, the blade is in near perfect shape (I found one small ring near the very top of the blade that looks dead), and the sound and effects work perfectly with that battery pack.  So that's a second BD DM saber for $15 ;D!

But now here's the dilemma.  I still want to create a single blade, full hilt version of this saber.  But now I have two perfectly working double bladed DM FX lightsabers.  I'm going to have to consciously destroy one of them to make my little experiment work.  I didn't care when I thought that two of the sabers didn't work, but now I'm going to bust apart one of them, and it's something that would have normally run me $70-$120.

Also, there's the question of whether or not I say anything to the seller.  They sold them to me for $15 each thinking that they didn't work.  Now I've found out that they work just fine.  They could have turned these around for a nice little profit, but instead do I treat this as 'their loss is my gain'?!  I know that Christmas is a time for giving, but I don't think that they would have given me a $200 item for $30 had they really known it worked...  Am I just thinking too much into this, or should I even consider returning them?

Thoughts?  What would y'all do?
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas to Me
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:41 PM »
I'd say, merry Christmas to you. 8)

Even though they both work, you could enjoy one as a working version, especially knowing you got it for only $15.  If you feel guilty about using the other working one just for the hilt, tell yourself, you paid $30 for the working one and got the other for free.   ;)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:15 AM »
To me, it looks like you took the time to attempt to fix the items (which most retailers would charge you big $'s for).  The seller didn't make the effort so it is really his loss.  I would see it the same way as going to a flea market and find a bunch of last 17 vintage figures in great shape for only $1 each.  Would you tell the seller that they could sell these for $100's on ebay or offer to pay them more for them?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:06 AM »
If you feel guilty about using the other working one just for the hilt, tell yourself, you paid $30 for the working one and got the other for free.   ;)

Excellent point!  See, it's always good to get someone else's opinion on things.  I hadn't thought of it that way at all.

I would see it the same way as going to a flea market and find a bunch of last 17 vintage figures in great shape for only $1 each.  Would you tell the seller that they could sell these for $100's on ebay or offer to pay them more for them?

Another excellent point!

Thanks guys.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:35 AM »
Yeah...you definitely don't owe the seller anything.  You got what they told you they were selling...no battery pack, and a stuck battery pack. They didn't say "these are broken".  They told you what was wrong and you fixed it.  No shame in that at ALL.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:49 PM »
I agree.  You didn't do anything shady and the seller gave you what he advertised.  Good luck on making the saber, I'd like to see some pictures when you're finished.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Good luck on making the saber, I'd like to see some pictures when you're finished.

Here's the link to all the pictures:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14499.0

But I thought I'd post this one here:

The best $45 I ever spent!