Author Topic: 30AC #13 Death Star Trooper  (Read 6625 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
30AC #13 Death Star Trooper
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:06 AM »
Not sure if it was a hint of things to come but the new cardback shows the Trooper's colors more to the vintage style of grey tunic we have all been asking for. Thoughts?  Seems like a no brainer and a few extra bucks for Hasbro.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:49 PM by Jeff »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: New DS Trooper to have running change of black to grey?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Stay tuned to the Q&A, I believe Jeff asked Hasbro that very same question this week ;)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 11:21 AM »
And isn't that Veers' face on the DS trooper and the Rebel Honor Guard card backs?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll put the correct boots on him and give him the correct weapon too.

But he is not all bad, at least he didn't get a Jango head. (yet)

I like this figure as an EP V trooper more than an Ep IV trooper.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I think that Hasbro answered that last week.  They said that there were "no plans" for a grey version.  It is easy money for them, and if they don't make one, they're fools.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure how I'd feel about a running color change, but it's an interesting idea.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 06:38 PM »
It's a no brainer for them really.  I am surprised if they don't do that. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll put the correct boots on him and give him the correct weapon too.

I don't buy these guys having "rebel" blasters as standard issue. I think of it as more of a continuity issue rather than fodder.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Well, in the Q and A this week, they said there are no plans this year for a running change of the torso color. 
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 09:11 AM »
Doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm kind of relieved.

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 05:10 PM »
That's just the smoke and the light making it look grey, it's black. :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 05:10 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 06:37 PM »
Eh, I am not going to wait for them.  I will just by and extra one and paint it grey.  Problem solved :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 11:15 PM »

I don't buy these guys having "rebel" blasters as standard issue. I think of it as more of a continuity issue rather than fodder.

Actually I'd say the reverse is the actual "truth" to the matter...  The Rebels use a blaster they can obtain easily while the Empire has it in their armament "standard".  In ANH though there's a lot of variety among the Imperial arsenal...  The hangar officer Chewie whoops up on has a gun more closely resembling Han's, as do a couple others I believe, while the DST's are seen carrying the "Rebel" blaster and so on...  I personally would've preferred the "Rebel" gun because I think we see it clearly in ESB too as a sidearm that DST's have if you look close, but at the same time I'll just swap out some blasters here and there to get what I want.

On the issue of the color change, there's a pretty clear shot of a DST in a grey tunic/uniform in a production still.  IT's clearly lit and I don't think anyone was smoking to mix up the visuals...  It's just clearly a grey uniform.  The Trooper is the one manning the console where Tarkin/Motti/Vader have Leia and give the order to blow up Alderaan...  Definitely a grey one exists.  I've always just dubbed them a higher rank than the regular black tuniced guys...  Perhaps their officer.

For a rebel instance of something similar, on Yavin IV there is a "technician Officer"...  He's the one that does the talking to the pilots actually.  His uniform is a shirt like an RFT's, techie pants, etc., but clealry he's a "tech" and seemingly oversees or has seniority over the guys int he light grey jumpsuits with headsets and the neck-less RFT helmets.

The Q&A gave me some hope that Hasbro will give us the Death "Squad" Commander at some point...  Or DST Officer...  Or whatever.  If for no other reason than vintage nostalgia really.  I'd still army build him to oversee the mass trooper army I'm gonna have at some point. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 04:20 PM »
The question is though Jesse, did the prop people think on that level of detail back in '76? :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 05:19 PM »
There was a military advisor on for ANH and ESB so I think the idea was there...  The ranks are, afterall, pretty elaborate for those two films (and obviously they're dumbed down for ROTJ bigtime).  I think that's a possibility though.  It'd give the impression at least that the rebels used what they could pilfer...  Some Rebel Legions/Regiments might be armed to the teeth with E-11's, others have the RFT pistol... 

I've always envisioned it that the rebels had certain "standard" gear they could get ahold of and use...  Their rifles for instance from Hoth and Endor.  But if a cache of E-11's are available I could see them outfitting a crew with them on a small ship such as Leia's, or whatnot. 

It's interesting...  On Hoth the troopers are seen with a variety of sidearms including Ponda Baba style pistols, Mauser-style pistols, RFT style pistols...  And then of course everyone has the rifle.  Interesting little details to notice I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77