Author Topic: 30AC #13 Death Star Trooper  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: New DS Trooper to have running change of black to grey?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 11:38 AM »
I knew there was a military adviser there for ESB and not for ROTJ, but didn't know about ANH. Thanks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:09 AM »
I'm going to buy every single one of those guys that I see.

(which will probably be like 5, but I'd love about 20 of those guys when all is said and done!)

I hope Hasbro does release the grey version. What do you guys think about including the commlink thing that's hanging down from the side of his face from the photos?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33 AM »
What do you guys think about including the commlink thing that's hanging down from the side of his face from the photos?

Is that on all the troopers or just guys operating the consuls?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 04:21 PM »
What do you guys think about including the commlink thing that's hanging down from the side of his face from the photos?

Is that on all the troopers or just guys operating the consuls?

Well, I think the only grey uniform troopers we saw were the ones operating the consoles.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I can't recall specifically if ANH had them all or if some had them and some didn't...  In ESB I don't think you can see the commlink headset that fits under the helmet.  Same with ROTJ...  I could be wrong though.  I don't think all the ANH DST's had them though either, just some, most notable being the guy on the console in the DS Control Center...

Paul may be able to elaborate though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Here are a few pics I found online from each of the 3 films.  Based on these pics, it appears we are getting the ESB version.

ANH console operator- note the earmuffs like the POTF2 version, the grey tunic, and the wire that hangs down

ESB version- no earmuffs, and no Imperial logo on shoulder, but has a holster

ROTJ version- no earmuffs but has logo on shoulder

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:54 PM by Daigo-Bah »
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Good comparison DB, and it's interesting to me that of the 3 ROTJ Troopers, 2 are in black jumpsuits ala the POTJ Imp. Officer (these are also the style we see on the planet Endor), yet the guy closest to us is clearly in a tunic ala ANH/ESB's Troopers...  What I think we see with the uniform differences is a difference in ranks perhaps, more than anything. 

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Well I'll be...  I didn't notice that!  It wasn't clear whether the foreground guy had the logo on his shoulder, but I figured that it was just in shadow.  Interesting variations!
Greg Reeves

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 01:36 AM »
The logo was my first tip, but the pen-pocket on the left breast was my second...  Plus the uniform's much more "pressed" looking than the 2 in the background of course as well, but yeah that pen pocket sealed the deal for me on that uniform variance there...  Plus it's 2 unique ones working together on the same console.  Interesting for the militaria geeks for sure. :)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 08:24 AM »
Ok, we are not miliaria geeks we are "Historians"....ok you are right geeks....

Great Photos and Topic....

I have some pics on my Computer at the office and Wednesday when I go in, I will post them, if I can't find them online.

I have to concur that we are getting the ESB version of the Trooper.  The blaster and the boots are the clincher.

There are scenes of the DST's in ANH with E-11's and DH-17's in the detention block, there is another shot of one in the Grey/Olive uniform as well.  He is the only one that seems to be wearing the earphones.  Even the DST in the superlaser corridor is not wearing them from what I can tell.  Every non-officer DST in ANH was wearing lower boots as well. (I know this is the dead horse I continue to beat, but it really is a big thing to me)

Did you guys also notice that the ROTJ DST in the foreground has shorter gloves and not "Gauntlet" style gloves?  Really seems like a hodge podge shot there.  Maybe it is like a late war German Unit...they had guys with the early and even pre-war tunics fighting along side guys with late war issue substandard materials and everything in between.  But then that would fly against the "A legion of best troops"....maybe they were on the other side of the base.....

Anyway, I'll track those pics down and get them up.  This definately is a great figure regardless.  I'll have an army of him for sure. Oh and be sure that if one pops up on ebay early that I will have it and I will do a mini-review here.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for the photo's DB! That's the first clear picture I've seen of the Trooper in a jump suit.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 12:31 PM »
New evidence!  This is a scan from the Creating SW 365 days book.  The pic is of Edlund and Johnston as the DS Troopers that react to the firing of the superlaser.  Note the "jumpsuit-style" with the shoulder emblems back from ANH!

Greg Reeves

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 3, 2007, 11:43 AM »
However accurate/inaccurate this figure is compared to the films, it really doesn't matter to me after seeing pics of it.  I think it looks great, and would love to get about 10 of these.  Perhaps more.

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 3, 2007, 05:19 PM »
New evidence!  This is a scan from the Creating SW 365 days book.  The pic is of Edlund and Johnston as the DS Troopers that react to the firing of the superlaser.  Note the "jumpsuit-style" with the shoulder emblems back from ANH!

Sweet photo DB, and I've got that book and seen it before...  Definitely a different look on them, complete with over-the-boot pants and gunners hoods too.  Take a DSG figure and slap a helmet on it and you've got a step in the right direction to these guys.  The uniform variety in the films is really extensive...  Was this a shot from ROTJ or ANH?  I can't recall which, but I dig the uniform...

Extra cool is the lax facial hair.  The Empire must not have minded as long as you were willing to stand next to the shaft where the beam is emitted. ;) 

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 3, 2007, 10:20 PM »
Yeah, JJ, this pic is from ANH for sure.  And wouldn't you know I again didn't look as closely as I thought.  Ben Edlund on the left has his DS Gunner helmet off (and the hood on as you noted), and no armor with the jumpsuit, while Joe Johnston on the right is the DS Trooper with the jumpsuit.  It really is neat to see the variations in the outfits, even if they weren't intentional :)
Greg Reeves