Author Topic: Official UGP Website: Progress  (Read 36539 times)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Official UGP Website: Progress
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Hello & welcome to ultimategroupproject.t-j-p.net headquarters!

Your web team for this project will be:
 Smartypants, Darth Deastron, Elmeaux, Phalanxx, PatreekTheRodian, DmG - thanks for coming aboard guys!

Here's where we'll be posting our updates, assignments, and current status for the web team & anyone else who's interested.

While this will primarily be for web team discussions, we welcome any comments, suggestions or ideas from anyone. Think of it as you would any another custom. Just flatter & more virtual :)

so to move on...

CURRENT ASSIGNMENTS:      Responsible Member(s):      Deadline:      Progress:
1) Finalize InfrastructureAllSunday- Jan 21st, midnight   Check out Mambo & Joomla - Then tell me if you think we even need it.
2) Finalize Overall Site LookAllSunday- Jan 21st, midnight   We've got 3 designs offered up:
   http://www.danney.ca/UGP/index.htm
   http://ultimategroupproject.t-j-p.net
   And Elmeaux's pic below
   Let us know what you think. And team, lets get the look decided on so we can move forward & get that content movin' !
3) Start Gathering Content: DioramaSmartySunday- Jan 21st, midnight   Hey Smartz! I know you were lookin' to help  ;) Soooo, what we're gonna need real soon is honest-to-god content for the web site. We'll be showcasing the entire project from conception to finalization. So we'll need all the pics that are out there to be in one location.
Yer the man, Smartz!

COMPLETED ASSIGNMENTS:      Responsible Member(s):      Deadline:      Results:
1) FTP usernames & passwordsAllSaturday - Dec 16th    Elmeaux, Phalanxx, & Arvin - You have FTP accounts. Anyone else that still wants one can ask, but we gotta be movin' forward.  8)
2) Site SectionsAllSaturday - Dec 16th    "FIGUREs, VEHICLEs, DIORAMAs, SPONSORs, C4,  & CREDIT" - Yup, it's the final word.

Yeee haaa. 8)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:29 PM by PenDragon »

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
Re: Official UGP Website: Progress
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:44 PM »
How do I find the map thingie? I clicked the link but it didn't take me to it, just a generic frapper page.

E>
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:56 PM by elmeaux »

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:03 PM »
um, it seems to be gone.... Patreek?

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Hey team!

We need some work done on at least geting the Sections nailed down.

Patreek, my man, what happened to your cool map?

And Darth Deastron, Phalanxx, we need your input especially on the CMSs you recomended. 

Also, you should all have email from pendragon @ thejackpoint.com

Thanks guys!   :)

And thanks to the folks who've commented on our web sites! Any details you can give us (on what you like & dislike about either site) would be infinitely useful  8)

-Pen

Offline DmG

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:52 PM »
not sure what I can do but ill help out where I can. I changed a bit on my site too. Not sure what else I can add to it at this point, maybe a personal info page for who ever is involved with the project.

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Some of my thoughts on the site.

Site Sections - I think we've pretty much covered the needed sections, but I really like DmG's idea of having a section for all the members that are involved so people can see how massive a undertaking this thing really is.  Also maybe adding links to the JD and YAK descussion threads.

CMS vs Standard Setup - Joomla is fairly easy to use, modify, and customized, but I don't know if a CMS type of site is really needed for style of website.  It really depends on how frequent the site is going to updated and how much info is going posted.  Is the site going to be more of a site to showcase our ideas and progress or are we going to use the site to everyone update of the whole project.  I see the JD and Yak forum sections as the main way for project discussion and updates.

Site Design - I like how the main page is set up at the UGP site its very organized and clean.  Each section could be organized similiar to DmG's section to show the customs and other pics.  Maybe have the pics as smaller thumbnails to have the pages smaller and showcase more of the pics.

Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: Official UGP Website: Sections
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 04:25 PM »
Hey cool! Progress ;D And I've updated the first post to reflect it. I'll update more tomorrow.

SECTIONS:
Seems like we most of us agree that there needs to be the following, general sections:
FIGUREs, VEHICLEs, DIORAMAs, SPONSORs, C4,  & CREDITs (I really like the Credits idea!).

I'd say the only real difference between your sections & mine, DmG, is that each of your sections for customs have the word Concept in them, and I listed Concepts as a separate section.... (well, That and a Contact Us page.)

Seeing as how we don't have the official word on what will & won't be in the UGP world yet, I think we can safely dispense with the word Concept all together. We don't really need a separate section for it, and we can cover both Concepts & 'Official' UGP Figs, Vehicles, & Dios under those 3 customs sections. And I like the idea of thumb-nailed pics too.

As for the Contact Us page: I'm not sure that we need one, but then again, most sites do have them.
We don't really have any phone numbers, or an address, so really, the only thing left would be emails. I'm thinking we can put those in the Credits section tho.... What do you guys think?

JD & the YAK:
Links to Yak & JD boards could go into the Credits or Sponsors section, or they could be added on to the main page somewhere (like a side bar or something). Either way, they should definitely be on the site somewhere. Good Call!

FRAPPER MAP:
The Frapper map seems to be working now - not sure why it wasn't before. But either there was a temporary glitch, or Patreek fixed it  ;D - if you did, thank you, mon ami!

CMSs:
...but I don't know if a CMS type of site is really needed for this style of website.  It really depends on how frequent the site is going to updated and how much info is going posted.  Is the site going to be more of a site to showcase our ideas and progress or are we going to use the site to everyone update of the whole project.  I see the JD and Yak forum sections as the main way for project discussion and updates.
I agree with Phalanxx on this point. While it might open things up to more participation, it feels like JD & the Yak already serve the purpose to me.
How do you non-WebTeam UGP folk feel about this?

DmG:
not sure what I can do but ill help out where I can. I changed a bit on my site too. Not sure what else I can add to it at this point, maybe a personal info page for who ever is involved with the project.
Dude, you're helping just by giving us all a second take on the UGP site!  8)
Question for you tho: I'm not sure I know what you mean by "personal info page for who ever is involved with the project." Do you mean a Credits section kind of page, or like a section of short bios for the members (cuz that'd be pretty cool too)?

Offline DmG

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 03:30 AM »
yeah i was thinking of a small spot for the contributers to the project. Be it a small bio or just a list of what everyone is doing, there should be a small spotlight for everyone involved.

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 02:40 PM »
trying to hit the main points on a break here:

Contact Us could easily be handled by a link on each page. No need to have a page with no content. I do think every site should have some sort of contact info, be it only an email address.

While the map page is up, I don't actually get a map, just the markers. It says image not available. Not sure if it's a site problem because I clicked a link to one of the other folks page and the map showed up there so someone might want to look into that.

The main benefit of the cms would be more timely updates. Obviously this is an issue since we are this far along with no site in part due to everyone's busy schedule. It would give non tech folks the ability to add stuff.

Is "FIGUREs, VEHICLEs, DIORAMAs, SPONSORs, C4,  & CREDIT" the final word on sections? Looks like I'll have a little free time right after Christmas so I might have a go at a design for this thing. Is there an organized source for image files and stuff or are you guys just pulling them off the different threads on this forum?

E>

Offline DmG

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 03:27 PM »
i did mine merely for fun, the sections were just there to fill the void, so they could be what ever you guys want.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 12:35 AM »
Hey, sorry guys! :P I kinda fell  off the face of the Earth here this past week. Between working 2 jobs & 'the season,' I just haven't even had a second...

I'll update after Tuesday! I promise you 8)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 10:33 AM »
It looks great guys. Keep up the great work! There are alot of WIP pictures to put up.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline elmeaux

• Youngling
  • The Dancing Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2007, 04:11 PM »

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #13 on: January 6, 2007, 02:05 AM »
Ooo, swanky!

Which reminds me, it's time to get back on track! expect a revision of the assignments tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2007, 02:08 AM by PenDragon »

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #14 on: January 6, 2007, 11:20 PM »
BUMP! :D New stuff at the top!
« Last Edit: January 6, 2007, 11:20 PM by PenDragon »