Author Topic: Photonovel by Robo-Quack: Coming March 2007: Preview is now up!!!  (Read 18567 times)

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
Re: New Photonovel by Snaggletooth
« Reply #15 on: January 2, 2007, 03:05 PM »
right on!

ok so what was this about again?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2007, 05:05 PM by Darth Depressis »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Ok everyone, let's get along! 

I agree that a lot of the people out there don't seem to give much feedback on photonovels these days.  Back in 2005, photonovels were very popular, people seemed to really be into them.  For certain reasons support seemed to dwindle down for them about a year ago.  I am not certain what all the reasons were, but I have heard rumblings that a segment of the forums found them annoying and thought we were attention cravers, and because of that, the promotions for them came to a halt.  In part that was why I had an absence from here, but I was also busy with a position at another site that I was offered. 

The good thing is there is still a photonovel section here.  People still read them apparently, but feedback is rarely given.  I will admit, it's very discouraging to not get feedback when you truly work on something and put your heart into it.  But that's just the way it is - most people don't feel like replying back with a full commentary on what was made.  But the level of work that goes into them is a factor as well.  If you truly try and make something creative and create a fun storyline that peaks people's interest, you're probably going to get more responses/feedback than if you just take pictures of figures in a back yard.

I don't get all that much feedback anymore, but I know people are still reading them by the views, as well as I do get PM's and emails about them too.  But I know that each one I make needs to have more work put into it than the last one.  I constantly try to set the bar higher for myself because I know that what I make isn't nearly as good as I want it to be.  That is why I've redone the series that I work on - to improve my stories.  I've probably lost some readers by telling the same story again, but I have also gotten new ones too.  Plus there will be NEW ones made eventually, just not for a while.

The strangest thing though is when someone makes a photonovel and complains that they haven't gotten feedback, even though that person doesn't leave OTHER photonovel makers feedback.  That's just odd.  So I guess what comes around goes around.  Remember if you want people to participate in what you are doing, it's a good idea to take an interest in what they're doing too.  If there are customizers on a board (who are potentially your biggest audience) - start leaving them feedback on what THEY do, and they are more likely to take notice of your work and return the favor.  It's all about a community, which is something I've been pushing for years.

;) 

THANK YOU for breaking THAT up!  ::)

PS- In that last paragraph, though, I do have to say: I leave feedback to your photonovels, to Deanna's artwork, to Jesse's reviews, to Angry Ewok's artwork, to several little newcomers i cant even remember the names of's photonovels. that's one of the things that made it a little disappointing not to get much feedback.   ;)

oh, and something I find a little strange, odd, with just a touch of ironic, is that I get like one reply when I introduced my photonovel, but when I say im cancelling it cuz i wasnt getting much replies, that was when i got all the replies swarming in. and most of the feedback was negative and critical, you know who you are...

just thought id point that out.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2007, 10:37 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 2, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Well, nothing against Jesse or Angry Ewok, but I don't think they leave too much feedback on customs/photonovels from what I've seen.  Not to say they don't appreciate them though.

I think people find it a lot easier to criticize or even encourage someone than it is to compliment them - does that make sense?  Meaning it's a lot easier to complain for NOT doing the photonovel than it is to compliment you for trying to make one. 

Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar, but at another forum there was a time where people seemed to post non-stop saying "they were going to make a photonovel" and then a month later, start another thread on it, etc.  And never get around to it.  So many people were afraid that was going to happen here.

Anyways, I still say go for it!

;)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 2, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Well, nothing against Jesse or Angry Ewok, but I don't think they leave too much feedback on customs/photonovels from what I've seen.  Not to say they don't appreciate them though.

I think people find it a lot easier to criticize or even encourage someone than it is to compliment them - does that make sense?  Meaning it's a lot easier to complain for NOT doing the photonovel than it is to compliment you for trying to make one. 

Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar, but at another forum there was a time where people seemed to post non-stop saying "they were going to make a photonovel" and then a month later, start another thread on it, etc.  And never get around to it.  So many people were afraid that was going to happen here.

Anyways, I still say go for it!

;)

thanks! i certainly will be doing it, its under construction and any tips from photonovel masters like you would be much appreciated at this point in time.  :)

as for jesse and angry ewok, i was just giving examples.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2007, 12:04 AM »
Yeah I knew what you meant with Jesse and Ewok.  They're great guys and I'm sure they would read/comment on each photonovel if they had time.

As for getting started, I think the best way to discover some of the tricks are through experimenting, but there's always useful tips too.

You've made some really good customs from what I see on your custom alliance page and take great pictures - the picture quality is a real eye catcher.  With the customs you show that you will probably have a good variety of characters, including some original ones.  I think that's a very good thing.

Also it's not essential, but dioramas are a lot of help for a photonovel (unless you know how to make all digital backgrounds).  You can go pretty simple with cardboard for a floor/walls - remember you can rearrange the scenes too a lot to look like different rooms/settings.

You could always make a few preview pics and show them for feedback too.

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: January 3, 2007, 02:27 AM »
My advice... 

Do what you want because you enjoy it, and don't count on feedback...  Blankly positive feedback is pointless and doesn't improve anything but your feelings about yourself.  Blankly negative feedback is equally pointless and doesn't help anyone learn or expand...  The customizing world at large isn't what it once was, but it's also not a niche of the hobby that is everyone's cup of tea.  It's a hobby though that you should do for your own personal enjoyment, and that includes photonovels.

I wrote SW "fan fiction" when I was in school because A) it got writing assignments completed with a creative flare that got me good grades, and B) I enjoyed it and stomached it more than trying to make up random stuff in my head.  It was a good unvierse to work in...  I didn't do it to entertain my classmates or because I thought I'd get a pat on the back or anything.  I did it to appease myself.  Selfish, but it worked.

So customize or whatever it is you do with happiness and there ya go!  Don't fret on feedback.  It'll either come or it won't. 

PS:  Deanna, you can share opinions regardless...  You can say if you don't necessarilly like a paintjob, just make sure to be constructive and back it up with WHY you feel like you do, and how they can improve (if you think they can).  Positive is great for sure, but positive with some "help" is ok too.  If people take offense to that, they need to grow thicker skin and maybe not be showing off their work on forums.

Enjoy folks.  Life is pretty.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 3, 2007, 03:00 AM »
oh, and something I find a little strange, odd, with just a touch of ironic, is that I get like one reply when I introduced my photonovel, but when I say im cancelling it cuz i wasnt getting much replies, that was when i got all the replies swarming in. and most of the feedback was negative and critical, you know who you are...

just thought id point that out.

I never comment on people when they say they are "going to" make a photonovel.  For me, there's almost never a point.  If you want to start a PN, great.  If you want to announce it, great.  But I will save my comments for when the story actually gets made.  Even then, I sometimes don't get around to commenting as much as I'd like...

As Chewie said, many people would announce photnovels to never follow through.  I just don't see the point to talking about your unmade idea - unless, of course, you are actively soliciting suggestions or feedback about the story.  Otherwise, just go.....go make it and I'll be here when you're done.

The reason why this conversation DID develop was because Robo-Quack suddenly said he wasn't going to go ahead after the lack of feedback.  And then I felt it was a good idea to step in to offer encouragement, even if I think Robo-Quack might have been being a little overly sensitive about the whole thing.  (and, of course, other posters were a bit too, ahem, blunt in their replies, but that's another subject...)

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time lately talking about talking about photonovels.  And I'd much rather read and comment on the stories themselves.....so good luck to you all....keep up (or get going on) the great work!  I really do hope these forums become vibrant again in the new year.

Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 3, 2007, 09:29 PM »
One of the tragets OF my photonovel IS to bring people back to these threads, cause I think photonovels are cool and deserve more attention.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 4, 2007, 01:34 AM »
Well, I see no point in us arguing about it. Can we just make our photonovels and leave the bickering for other forums?

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 4, 2007, 10:09 PM »
 :P

were not agruing about it-it seems that it is the general consensus among JDers that photonovels should get more attention. were just aacknowledging it.

BTW-
500th post! halfway to Jedi Master...
« Last Edit: January 5, 2007, 11:13 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2007, 11:51 PM »
Oh God, please...save us the post count. Could you just make your photonovel and get over yourself. If we're talking about photonovels not getting attention then spare me...there's already a thread on that and it's a rather dead issue. You post or you don't, your choice. I really couldn't care less which you choose. Announcements on the main page can help you a bit, but have little weight on whether or not I will read and comment on your photonovel or not.

Now go comment my new pic on myspace. I'll return the favor.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2007, 09:02 PM »
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in on this lover's quarrel.   :-*

I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome to see someone so excited about making a photonovel.  Just from personal experience, I know that if you try to force it down people's throats, it's going to turn some people off.  Try not to be too sensitive about it when some people aren't interested in it, not everyone finds them as enjoyable.  And even those that do, sometimes would rather just lurk and read them rather than give you feedback. 

So make them for the joy of making them, the rest will take care of itself.

;)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2007, 11:13 PM »
 ::)

I really dont give a **** about JediKnight143567342156478900 or whatever's comments. im still makin the damn photonovel and if anyone doesnt like it, they dont HAVE to comment. and PS i'm mentioning my frickin POST COUNT-if that bothers him THAT much...thats just not normal.  :P
« Last Edit: January 5, 2007, 11:14 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 6, 2007, 01:37 AM »
He's a good guy though, probably just giving you a little hard time because he hasn't seen anything yet.  He's made some good photonovels in the past too (which I hope he picks back up on!).  Check them out in the forums here sometime, I'm sure you'd like them!

And bring on your photonovel you crazy Quack!  I'm looking forward to it!  And if you ever want to discuss privately, PM me! 

;)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Thanks for your excitement! This crazy quack's still workin on it, itll be worth the wait, i feel i cant rush it that much.
Its coming, still under construction. Before the pn, i probably will be posting pics of my customs thatll be featured in it daily, in this thread, to tide everyone over. Look for the actual pn sometime around March, April-ish 2007, and for weekly installments until January-Februaryish 2008. im doing it in seasons if it consistently does well.  8)
« Last Edit: January 6, 2007, 12:42 PM by Robo-Quack »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com