Author Topic: '06 Holiday observations AKA state of the shelves report  (Read 19691 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
'06 Holiday observations AKA state of the shelves report
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:50 AM »
I was wondering what the current state of the SW shelves were around the country/continent/world. The holiday season is always an interesting time of year and I wonder what's happing in your neck of the woods.

Although I'm caught up with my collection, I've still been finding myself in the stores picking up odds and ends for Monday and stop in the toy section for curiosity. One weird thing I noticed that is in one day, about 10 Mid-sized vehicles that had been sitting for weeks were gone along with half of the SW figures. At another store, the only figure on the shelf was about 6 Boushh's and there's been no sign of re-stocking anywhere. Seems SW is getting pretty low.

What's it like for you?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
Re: '06 Holiday observations AKA state of the shelves report
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:05 PM »
I was wondering what the current state of the SW shelves were around the country/continent/world. The holiday season is always an interesting time of year and I wonder what's happing in your neck of the woods.

Although I'm caught up with my collection, I've still been finding myself in the stores picking up odds and ends for Monday and stop in the toy section for curiosity. One weird thing I noticed that is in one day, about 10 Mid-sized vehicles that had been sitting for weeks were gone along with half of the SW figures. At another store, the only figure on the shelf was about 6 Boushh's and there's been no sign of re-stocking anywhere. Seems SW is getting pretty low.

What's it like for you?

Same over here every toy store i go to just has the new endor c3-PO and they haven't restocked in over 2 weeks! So it seems that star wars is getting low every where right now :P
Momar and Fester

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 03:14 PM »
there is nothing anywhere i go. like literally nothing. maybe a titanium every now and then but figures havent been retsocked at the mall near my house. and all the TRU has is the naboo wave. and i think they HAD the new vehicles but they were gone when i went.

not much around here anymore :(
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I went today for last minute shopping at the crappy WM, the pegs were full of GB, besides alone Boussh Chewie,GNK & Jerjerrod,GHs & Transformers in new 30th A packaging. ::)

I bet most kids who like SW will found atleast 1 SW transformer under the tree this year & some of us too. :-\
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Non-ROTS-based vehicles are sold out pretty much everywhere, and even then it's only TRU that still has Obi-Wan and Anakin JSFs.  The Hailfire Droids, AATs, Sith Starfighter, and Vader's TIE don't last too long on the shelves at all.  The tins (all seven, counting the Bith) are really sitting much more than I would have expected given the holiday season.  These are probably going to wind up being 3 bucks at Target by the end of January, I'd think, although WM and TRU will hold on to them at full price until next Christmas.  ::)

Basic figures are, as expected, starting to thin as it gets closer to crunch time, although Jerjerrod and Endor Threepio are quickly overtaking Lushros Dofine and Poggle the Lesser for the 2006 Pegwarmer of the Year crown.  Wal-Mart's so jammed full of Jerjerrods and Threepios in one location that they don't have any room to stock any basic figures, and the other WM is clogged full of GB figures and has been for the last month.  Target cut back their peg space and since then it's been a lot of Padmes, GB Threepios, and Hem Dazons on their three basic figure pegs. 

Unleashed Battle Packs are selling so-so (at least steadily), as are the Galactic Heroes, especially the 10-figure sets for each.  The GH 10 packs are selling very quickly around me with (surprise surprise) the Vader's Bounty Hunters set going quickest.  SW Transformers are, strangely enough, not moving AT ALL at either Wal-Mart, TRU, or Target, so I see a quick trip to the clearance aisle for those come January.  The same 400 Bossks/Sandtroopers/Vaders/Fetts from the Titanium figure line are still sitting on the shelf with their inch of dust, and Titanium vehicles are nonexistent due to the gobs of Transformer Titaniums hogging the peg space.

The big non-surprise is that SW Legos are the biggest selling item in the SW line around me.  I have not seen an actual SW Lego set make it more than a day around here, and it seems as soon as they're restocked, they're gone again.  Several of the 2007 sets have hit and have disappeared almost immediately. 

So yeah, it's a typical Christmas season for Hasbro SW stuff:  Some of it sells, some of it doesn't, but nothing gets restocked in a timely manner.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 10:22 AM »
I walked into TRU late last night. In addition to the place in general looking ransacked, I could count the number of SW items in the SW section on my fingers. I can't remember the shelves being this bare during the holidays ever.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen any SW lego since last month.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 07:09 PM »
endor 3PO, power droids, and utapua clones are warming, the first has been going on for a while, but the latter two are relatively surprising and new...
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 10:05 AM »
HORRIBLE. The occasional store will have some Endor 2/Nabbo sporadically, but other than that the pegs are few and far between, clogged with Endor 1 and Greatest Battles, packages ripped open everywhere, and flung all over the place. It's a mess. I haven't seen Endor Luke or any of Wave 7.

What's funny, though, is that the KMarts around me don't even have a single figure on the pegs. :)
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 10:54 AM »
I have found the Final 22 waves at both Target and TRU stocked heavily on the pegs.  It's been an atypical Christmas for sure, normally it looks like the locusts came through the star wars section.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 12:24 PM »
went to target this morning, they had stocked the shelves to the roof on the 23rd, but now it looks as if an AT-AT walked through the toy sections.  The employees were out stocking the shelves.  The fig section didn't look too bad the GH figs were down to $4.62, snagged an Obi for custom fodder.  But basically all that's left is the pegwarmers that everybody else is seeing.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 11:37 AM »
HORRIBLE. The occasional store will have some Endor 2/Nabbo sporadically, but other than that the pegs are few and far between, clogged with Endor 1 and Greatest Battles, packages ripped open everywhere, and flung all over the place. It's a mess.

This mirrors the situation at TRU/Walmart/KB in Hawaii.  KB also had some supply of the Endboo wave.  Up here we're clogged to overflowing with Endboo and the usual assortment of kiddy crap. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 11:56 PM »
Everything is cleared out here too.  I went looking today since I've only found TWO of these 'last' Saga figures.

I did manage to score a Lego Star Destroyer for $50 though - $28 after my giftcard was applied!

Now if I can just find a Sail Barge for the same discount...

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 02:20 PM »
i went to Square 1 (huge mall in mississauga) all of the stores had that Moff jerjerode dude and the naboo wave..nothing else. well besides 2 greedo's. but the Zellers there was a wasteland...no hotwheels no star wars no nothing left on the shelfs..that they were suposed to be in. they had some stuff but it was mixed in with the lego cause they are changing the set up of the toys i believe. boxing day was a dark time for star wars figures.

the hobby shop at the mall though had 20% off all star wars figures. all of them from the 96 collection. all of them selling at 20-40 a piece  >:(
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2007, 09:07 AM »
I would say Minnesota stores look like they were ravaged by locust as well. Empty pegs, resets, clearances- the stuff was gone almost instantly.