Author Topic: Show me Your Kubes!  (Read 143042 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me Your Kubes!
« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20 PM »
That's a really nice display ST!  How did you land both S2 Chases???
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
  • Boba Fett?! Boba Fett?! WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2010, 07:28 PM »
I agree--sweet display, Stealthtank. What kind of riser steps are those? Are they just clear medicom cases stacked up?

Offline StealthTank

• Youngling
  • "Kubrick Royalty"
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Thanks guys!

I bought my own Master Cases and landed an AT-ST Driver and a Rebel Trooper.

And the risers are indeed from Medicom's clear boxes.

It's probably the last time I buy a Master Case for awhile, though, as I would have lost money even if I had sold the chases.  In the old days, I was able to purchase boxes from Robby for $59 bucks a piece ($236 per MC) and be able to keep and complete a set while making my money back by selling the rest.  Now, it's three times that for the same number of figures and chases.  I have a feeling many of the sellers are sitting on their chases, thinking that their value is higher than current selling prices.  If Medicom doesn't lower their prices considerably, I think they will continue to find it difficult to find retailers who are willing to carry kubricks, leaving us to fight over the secondary market from dealer's who have taken a bath on their initial investment.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:17 PM by StealthTank »

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21 PM »

It's probably the last time I buy a Master Case for awhile, though, as I would have lost money even if I had sold the chases.

That's really a bummer. You were the first US seller on ebay to have these (I got a set of 6 from you ;D) and since then I haven't seen too many others. Hopefully Medicom does something about this so collectors don't have to give up on getting cases.

Offline karamazov80

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Yeah man.  I bought some figures from you, as well, but do feel bad knowing you had to eat so much money trying to acquire the full set for yourself.  Bummer.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I have a feeling many of the sellers are sitting on their chases, thinking that their value is higher than current selling prices.  

Yikes.  I was thinking the prices are a tad too high.  I think ballpark $130 is about right for a 1/96 chase pieces, at least to me.  If sellers are waiting and hoping for a lot more I think they'll be fairly disappointed.  

I'm a little worried Medicom is doing somewhat the same thing as Gentle Giant has done in overestimating the market and the willingness of Star Wars collectors to spend as much as they used to.  GG's at least seen the light in dropping back the production numbers and price increases have only been modest ($55-75 for a bust).  Medicom seems to have gone through the roof and at least for me it's going to drive me even further from buying stuff.  I got a box this series because I got it for considerable savings off most retail but at a loss to the seller.  I'm now at the point where I'll buy a figure if it's new relative to vintage (i.e. the vintage figure exists but Medicom hasn't released that figure yet) but beyond that I'm not even going to be looking at complete series' unless the BAF is incredibly cool.  Jabba was a must have but in retrospect I don't need vehicles.  

And yeah, nice display Scott.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Sir Real

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 14, 2010, 08:40 AM »

Do you have Kermit? Would you combine your Indy with Kermit to make an Adventure Kermit for me? I've been wanting to see that since Indy came out.

:D

Nice idea, but it's not possible.  I just tried it with all 3 Indys, but that is the older body with the non-removable head.

Offline Sir Real

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Built a few wooden display frames for the collection over the holidays. Here's the basic wooden frame, which can be hung on the wall separately, or it can be stood on the separate floor stand / base. The frames are also stackable, so they can go about 3 high on top of the base, forming a bookcase of sorts. The frames have a white masonite backer board, which holds the cases in, the white color makes the figures a lot more visible, and it's also removable, so the 6x20 cases array can be removed, updated, and replaced inside the frame. With just one frame on the base as shown, it sort of looks like a mini-big screen tv :) , though that wasn't the intention.

Still need to sand these down, but I can't decide if I'm going to stain them or paint them black. So far I have 12 frames and 4 base units, comprising three full "bookcase" structures. Unfortunately, these won't even house the entire collection, so I'll be making a few more.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53 PM »
^nice. 

I've been wanting to have Bertby display cases for so long, but dawdled until they were no longer being sold.  Stupid.  So I'll have to build something and you've done a really nice job there.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 31, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Those look awesome!  Excellent work!  Can't wait to see the entire collection displayed.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline smokebelch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 5, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Wow that display looks great!

Not really got any shots of all my kubs together- but have loads of shots of them individually. Thought id share a few, loads more up on my flickr page...

Gamorrean Guard by smokebelch, on Flickr

Hutt & Crumb by smokebelch, on Flickr

Emperor Palpatine by smokebelch, on Flickr

Boba Fett by smokebelch, on Flickr

"Not my eyes!" by smokebelch, on Flickr

Alien by smokebelch, on Flickr

Yoda by smokebelch, on Flickr

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 5, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Seriously, what kind of camera are you using to take those shots?  They are fantastic!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 5, 2011, 10:24 AM »
I know I said it before, but wow, oh, wow, those are some great macro photos.  I've got to work on my macro photography.

Offline smokebelch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 5, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Thanks guys  :D
Not got an expensive camera- its a fujifilm (was about £150- though had it for a couple of years now) not a DSLR so only has a fixed lens, but has got a good macro on it!

Offline MikeT

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 5, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Can't believe how much personality that gamorrean guard has!  :)