Author Topic: Series 2  (Read 144502 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1455 on: June 18, 2004, 01:01 PM »
Whoa, he reply's because of the SquareTrade thingy but he won't reply to 5 emails in 1 week from me!   >:(   ::)

I did use the Contact Info to Request a member's contact information on eBay last night. I get an email & so does he.
Can we phone him & reverse the charges?  ;D

Maybe I'll just go this route!  

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1456 on: June 18, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Sigh.  As the weakest of the three, I simply emailed him again.   :-[

I still say we all open them so we can damage the cards and make him file insurance claims to send our money back.   :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1457 on: June 18, 2004, 03:23 PM »
Speaking of Kubrick R2. I'm putting myself back in the market for a mint one. Even though it's only minimal, I cant get past the damage on my carded R2. I'll sell him for fairly cheap, once I get myself a replacement. If anyone cares to help a fella out, just pm me :)

I'll be happy to provide photos of the bubble damage, once I'm at the point where I have a replacement lined up and I'm ready to sell him. I'm not opening him, cuz I dont want to get into the habit of collecting open and carded Kubricks lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:45 PM by BigDumbWookiee »
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline OlBenKenobi

• Youngling
  • deep in the heart of Texas
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1458 on: June 18, 2004, 03:38 PM »
Anybody interested in a Mint Directly out of Package Princess Leia from the Early Bird set??
Kubrick-fanatic-----approach with extreme caution

Offline Padawan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1459 on: June 18, 2004, 04:18 PM »
From JediMAC: Alright, since Scott always gets nervous whenever our threads get too long, he wants to start all over again with another new one - so here we are again, in Star Wars Kubrick thread #4 - The Power of the Kubricks!   ;)  Good time to start over, with Jon's excellent new pix of waves 3 and 4!   8)  Here's Part 3 of our Kubrick history, along with Part 2, and if you want to read back even further than that, here's our original thread on the Kubrick phenomenon.  Now carry on...
--------------------------------

I don't know if anyone has seen these yet.  Todoroki from kubrickworld.com was able to snap a few pics at Parco.

The Jawa is awesome.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 10:34 PM by JediMAC »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Series 2
« Reply #1460 on: June 18, 2004, 04:36 PM »
The Ewoks kind of suck. Love Droids Fett though :)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1461 on: June 18, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Holy $h!t Jon, you ROCK!   8)

Don't think anyone here's seen those yet.  WOW!

The Jawa and Droids ARE shorter, so that's cool.  Looks like even the two Ewoks are a tad shorter as well (though still not quite short enough).  C-3PO looks WAY too tall though.  Droids Fett - nice!  So where exactly is this "box set" information coming from?  On that little label there?  Maybe these are just the next two series, and there's no "box set".  Hopefully that's the case...

I'd say now that we've got the Droids Fett, and a regular 3PO, there's about a 95% chance they'll keep rolling with that theme, and revise the new 3PO into a Droids paint scheme, and slap him on a Droids card as well.  I'd bet that's a lock to happen next year.

Speaking of Kubrick R2. I'm putting myself back in the market for a mint one. Even though it's only minimal, I cant get past the damage on my carded R2. I'll sell him for fairly cheap, once I get myself a replacement. If anyone cares to help a fella out, just pm me :)

PM, you have sir.  Remember, I'm the wacko who is looking for a cheap loose one as well...?!   :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:04 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1462 on: June 18, 2004, 05:06 PM »
And that's Paploo not Lumat or Logray...thanks a TON Jon!  And happy belated Birthday

I'm saying these are series 3 and 4 too, makes much much more sense than Series 3 and the Box Set

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1463 on: June 18, 2004, 05:21 PM »
I think the Imperial R2 and the R5-D4 both turned out real nice as well (though the R2 wasn't really needed yet).  Lando's cape looks very nice too.  Good job by Medicom pulling that one off.  Still kinda bummed that the themed waves are gone, and to see potentially 4 "Hasbro-esque" rehashes in the mix so early on.

So... CHASE figure possibilities:

Any of the other various astromechs with different paint schemes (an R3, or Imperial R5 maybe).

Other Ewoks.

Tie-Pilot.

General Lando.

Did I miss any...?  Doubt they'd mess with another Han one since they did him last time.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:25 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1464 on: June 18, 2004, 05:35 PM »
Updating my checklist and a visual refresher course here for what's already been released, and what's confirmed for the future:

JediMAC's Official Star Wars Kubrick Checklist:

Early Bird set:
1. Luke Skywalker (Brown hair)
2. Princess Leia
3. Chewbacca
4. R2-D2

Series 1 (Bounty Hunters):
5. Boba Fett (ESB version, with 2 green gauntlets)
5a. Boba Fett (ROTJ version w/ 2 red gauntlets - 1/48 CHASE from Hong Kong)
5b. Boba Fett (Vintage version w/ 1 yellow and 1 red gauntlet - 1/48 CHASE from Japan)
6. IG-88
7. Bossk
8. Dengar
9. 4-LOM
10. Zuckuss

** Carded "Bape" Boba Fett (Vintage version) (2003 Medicom Toy Exhibition exclusive)

** Carded Luke Skywalker (Blonde hair)

Series 2 (ANH/Tatooine):
11. Sandtrooper (Orange pauldron)
11a. Sandtrooper (White pauldron - 1/12 CHASE)
12. Han Solo
12a. Indiana Jones (1/48 CHASE)
13. Cantina Band Member (Instrument group A, with stand - Japan)
13a. Cantina Band Member  (alternate instrument group B - Hong Kong)
14. Obi-Wan Kenobi
15. Greedo
16. Tusken Raider

** Scott's special too-lame-to-count "girly" figure: Be@rbrick (not Kubrick) Wicket

17. Carded "Droids" R2-D2

18. Endor Luke w/ Speederbike
19. Endor Leia

20. Carded "Parco" Sandtrooper - Black pauldron (2004 Medicom Toy Exhibition exclusive)

21. Carded "Droids" Boba Fett

Series 3:
22. C-3PO
23. Han Solo in Carbonite
23a. "Hibernation Sickness" Han Solo (1/12 CHASE)
24. AT-AT Driver
25. Jawa
25a. Jawa - Vinyl Caped  (1/48? CHASE)
26. Wickett
26a. Logray (1/48? CHASE)
27. Lando Calrissian (ESB)

28. Carded Holographic Leia

UPCOMING:

TRU Exclusive Boxset:
28. Paploo
29. Spirit of Obi-Wan
30. Bespin Han Solo
31. R2-Q5
32. R5-D4

That's all we know so far!  So for you obsessive compulsive completists, you're currently technically looking at 37 different loose figures (including carded blonde Luke, Indy, and Band Member w/ alternate instruments, among others).  I'll be nice and NOT include the Carded Fett, since the figure itself is identical to the regular Vintage Chase figure (and it runs $300+).   ;)  Also, there's been 9 different bootleg Kubrick sets that have popped up in the past, so if you'd like to take a gander at 8 of them (sans Clonetrooper set), check out stormie's site.

How 'bout a visual checklist, while I'm at it?!   :-*

And here's that lame Be@rbrick Wicket figure, just for our First Lady of Kubricks - Scott...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:00 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1465 on: June 18, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Off to Part 4 we go, since this thread's getting way to big (according to Scott).  So come join us here!   :-*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 05:40 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Hes No Good to Me Dead

• Jedi Padawan
  • That's it baby, when you got it, flaunt it.
    • View Profile
    • Now With Kung-Fu Grip
Series 2
« Reply #1466 on: June 18, 2004, 05:48 PM »
It was only a matter of time before someone got some photos.  Nice one!  The Jawa looks slightly scaled down, but Wicket doesn't.  Why's that then?

Offline bikeridetony

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Star Wars Carded Kubrick Website!!!
Series 2
« Reply #1467 on: June 18, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Thanks for the photos!  Here's my critique.  Two things to keep in mind are- Every time they do a new figure they have to make molds and machines to make them.  Han, Obi Wan, the black R2 thing, R5 D4.  Easy ones to make and money savers.  The molds were done and all they had to do was slightly alter them.  Also, Lucas is a crazy control freak.  I guarantee every time they wanted to make a figure, they had to send prototype after prototype for approval.  Maybe Vader and Yoda were hard to get right and the deadline was pressing.  Who knows.  The good news is that these insignificant figures are showing us Medicom is in it for the long run.  By the way, the Kamiru Vader is really great.  I doubt Medicom will do a whole lot better.   Anyone want to trade a carded Fett for a bunch of carded Kubricks/Kamirus?  Didn't think so.  Toodles.   ;)  
Tony the Carded Kubrick Guy

http://www.ActionCardbacks.com

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1468 on: June 18, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Hmm...  Anyone else think that C-3PO's right leg (left, facing us) looks like it's a tad silver, and less gold than the other one?  Could just be the glare, but if not, more kudos to Medicom for paying excellent attention to the more intricate details of the SW universe!   8)

Also, I'd guess that the Carbonite Block will come by itself (no figure), and that the Bespin Han will be in the following wave, to later accompany it.

Two things to keep in mind are- Every time they do a new figure they have to make molds and machines to make them.  Han, Obi Wan, the black R2 thing, R5 D4.  Easy ones to make and money savers.  The molds were done and all they had to do was slightly alter them.

Yeah, I definitely get "why" these things are rehashed, and it obviously makes sense from an economical standpoint for the company producing the figures.  We all collect the 4" line as well, so we're very well versed in the world of rehashes from Hasbro.  But it's just so early in the Kubrick line still, that I/we were hoping not to see any rehashes for a while still, though I'm sure we all knew they were inevitable eventually.  Besides, the rehashes seemed like they were more suited to be the "Chase" figures instead...

I'll live with them though, as long as we eventually get the rest of the other important first-timers like Vader, Yoda, Emperor, Snowtrooper, Gamorrean Guard, Royal Guard, etc...  But I guess as long as we know that the line will be continuing for a good long while, it makes sense to mix in the main characters with the background ones, just to keep it fresh throughout each new Series.  Cool with me.

I'm definitely digging these new offerings immensely though.  Good stuff!

And Simon - could you elaborate on what it was that tipped you (or the other local news scoops) off that one of those waves was supposedly coming as a "box set"?  What gave you that idea at the show - 'cause I don't see anything in those pix that would indicate that, other than potentially those little labels in front of the figures, which I can't really make out what they say...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Series 2
« Reply #1469 on: June 18, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Jon's original list (from todoroki at kubrickworld.com)
C3PO, (a little bit stubby)
Lando Carrussian, (nicely done with a big cloak)
Ewok (I think its wicket but i`m not sure)
Tie fighter pilot from the original star wars
Some kind of mini sandpeople thing.

They also have another starwars boxset coming out which had:
Han solo frozen inside Jabba the huts wall,
A black r2d2
the other rebel robot that navigates the x-wing.
And some weird ephemeral blue colured Obi wan.

Scott's subsequent revised list:
Series 3
C-3PO
Lando Calrissian
AT-AT Driver
Ewok
Jawa

Box Set (And how these go together I have no idea)
Spirit Obi-Wan
Han Solo (Bespin)
Black R2 Unit
R5-D4
Han Solo (Carbonite)

So after re-reading Jon's and Scott's original lists from the show (above), I wonder why Paploo (or a second Ewok) wasn't mentioned in anything, especially not the boxset.  Was it added to the display later?  Maybe that could mean that it's just a CHASE figure, for the Wickett?  That would make the most sense.  And perhaps the Han and Carbo block could come together after all.

So if you exlude the additional Han and Paploo from the above photo lineups, that would only leave you with 9 regular figures - 5 or 6 in the regular series, and 3 or 4 in a boxset.  I'm just trying to realistically think of how they could make the boxset work, and I think the fewer the number of figures in it, the better chance of it realistically happening (instead of them being a separate series altogether).

Ideally, if they HAVE to make a boxset, they just throw the 4 rehashes into it, and put R5 in the regular series.  A boxset of Spirit of Obi-Wan, Bespin Han (w/ block), R2-Q5, and Paploo would still be very cool, but folks who just want the regular, new/original figures could still get them in the regular Series 3, and not worry about the boxset.

Anyway, don't mind me, I'm just pondering the wonders of boxsets out loud...   :P