Author Topic: Series 8  (Read 144585 times)

Offline evilalive

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Series 8
« Reply #615 on: May 9, 2008, 04:02 AM »
To what I've learned from the dealer/seller here in HK, the earlier ratio of 1:96 2:48 doesn't seems to complies with S8 and agreed that chases are also hard to find in Japan. (Rare to find the chase even in Japan Yahoo Auction..... :-\)
« Last Edit: May 9, 2008, 04:03 AM by evilalive »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #616 on: May 9, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Well here is me trying to catch up.  Still bitter but getting better.

Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 9, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Nice start!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 9, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Ah the horny jedi.  Can I ask where you procured this Kubrick.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #619 on: May 9, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Ah the horny jedi.  Can I ask where you procured this Kubrick.

Ebay of course but actually not a bad price and the guy gave me free shipping too.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline skyward72

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 9, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Seems like Tiin is selling for about $20.00 more then Aurra at the moment on Ebay.   

I just picked up Jar Jar and Aurra with Free shipping as well. 

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 9, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Nice job guys!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 9, 2008, 10:36 PM »
So I was talking with one of the eBay sellers in the US about Series 8.  He said that he's opened 15 MC and 11 have had Aurra and Jar Jar and 4 have had only Jar Jar.  All his cases came from Japan.  He seemed to think that all the cases coming from Hong Kong had Saesee Tiin packed in them.  I don't know if that's consistent with where Crackbricks came from or not. 

So I think we are getting a bit more data that the rare chases are slightly rarer than 1:96. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 10, 2008, 12:41 AM »
Saw what looked like a gift pack of Series 8 today at Toy Tokyo.  I didn't really take notice of the price as I'm really not an avid Kubrick collector.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2008, 01:29 PM »
So I was talking with one of the eBay sellers in the US about Series 8.  He said that he's opened 15 MC and 11 have had Aurra and Jar Jar and 4 have had only Jar Jar.  All his cases came from Japan.  He seemed to think that all the cases coming from Hong Kong had Saesee Tiin packed in them.  I don't know if that's consistent with where Crackbricks came from or not. 

So I think we are getting a bit more data that the rare chases are slightly rarer than 1:96. 

Our MC came from Japan.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 12, 2008, 08:28 AM »
I just spent 1/2 an hour running through the series 8 thread- a fun read, then a bit of a downer at the ending. From all the OT speculation, to the angst/excitement about prequel kubricks, the giddy watching of the tracking numbers, and finally to a bizarre ending with vastly different mastercase assortments.

With series 9 coming so soon, and the mail away figures just starting to hit, the excitement should continue for a while yet!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02 AM »
So I've got a question for all your veteran Kubrick collectors.  Assuming that the rare chases are slightly rarer than 1:96 (as our initial estimates believe) and that they seem to be somewhat split up regionally.... where do you expect these chases to peak at in terms of eBay price point.  Am I fool thinking that the $140-150 range may be a good price now? 

I started collecting Kubes pretty late and I've managed to snag a Yak and Tarkin both under a $100 but I don't see very many other rare chases at that price point these days.

Thoughts?

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 12, 2008, 10:32 AM »
I think we are in some new territory for chase figures, here are a few reasons:

The cases- the last 5 series had 2 semi-rares (2/48) and 2 rares (1/96)

Series 7 semi rare: Blue senate guard. Rares: Yakface and old school spirit anakin
Series 6 semi rare: Wedge. Rares: Tarkin and Veers
Series 5 semi rare: Han Endor. Rares: Ponda Baba and Blue Snaggletooth
Series 4 semi rare: Han or Luke stormtrooper. Rare: Dagobah Darth
Series 3 semi rare: Han hibernation sickness. Rares- Logray and vinyl Jawa

Series 2 had the two different sandtroopers, but every box had a white pauldron sandtrooper. It also had the two different cantina band figures, but as far as we can tell they were produced in pretty much the same numbers. Indiana Jones was the only super chase in this set.

Series 1 had 2 rares (2 different Bobas) but no common chase, if that is even a phrase.

So Series 4-6 were pretty comparable for the number and ratios of rares. The rares have hovered around the $100-120 range. Series 3 is a bit outside the average, with Logray and vinyl jawa showing up more rarely and going for a bit more.

With all of that said, I think there a few reasons the series 8 chases will be more expensive.

# 1, the dollar. The real currency in the world is oil, and dollars buy less of it than they used to. Since these are a world market toy, and bidders from all countries bid, I expect collecting to simply cost us more.

# 2, the cases. The lack of a "common" chase means each master case has less resell value, and less pieces to put on the market. The second common chase piece was something of a bonus- you could sell it to defray some of your initial expenses, or if it was cool (or in the case of series 4) you could keep or trade it for the other. Factor in that a number of cases shipped to different people had no "rare" chase, and we can only assume the rares are more rare than they have been in recent series.

# 3, the prequels consumers. The collecting community that embraces all of the movies equally or (shudder) prefers the new, is a definate wildcard in the kubrick world. I recently auctioned off a fairly substantial lot of clones, and was shocked at what they went for. There is an audience there with money looking for new product or maybe a niche type collection.

Add on to # 2 that news of the scarcity is still limited to groups pretty much in the know about these things. As the series lingers and more people realize the rares are harder to find, speculation may very well increase the prices.

So, the pessimist in me says Jar Jar is probably at least as valuable as Dagobah Darth. His case ratio appears to be the same, and Dagobah Darth is a 10 second movie side-trail, Jar jar is pivotal in the first movie and arguably the entire series.

Add to that the rare-less cases, and I think these are going to end up being closer to the series 3 range.

The one piece that could alter all of this substantially is production numbers. And medicom doesn't talk about those things any more than Hasbro does. Production numbers seems to be the difference between the 2004/2005 box sets and the 2007 set, a magnitude of 600% when it comes to current prices.

So only time will answer the question, but I didn't waste any time getting my missing pieces.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 12, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Thanks for the well thought out post Dan.  It was so well crafted, it pushed me over the edge (as I figured some one would do).  I can't believe I just did it, but I just bought a Saesee Tiin for around $160 shipped from Hong Kong.  What the hell am I thinking buying a single 60mm toy for $160. 

Offline Gorkoracing

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 12, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Ive thought the same thing when I've bought some of my prototypes