Author Topic: MLB 2007  (Read 46121 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2007
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Not to mention we have to deal with all the frat-boy, bandwagon Boston fans. The Red Sox are easily my least favorite team in baseball (sorry Mikey ;) ).

I know them well.  We call them "pink hats" around here - fans, most likely women, who jumped aboard the 2004 Sox and have a tendency to wear pink (or green for the men) hats.  Real Sox fans wear blue hats only and those are most likely old, dirty and the edge of the brim is ripped.  Mine got so bad from the sweat and dirt that it turned a bluish grey and made my wife to tell me to buy a new one.  Still have that crusty old hat, though.  No way I can get rid of it.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2007, 04:15 PM »
The Rockies had better start playing.   >:(
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:16 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2007, 04:56 PM »
To me if looked like the layoff certainly had an adverse affect, particularly on the pitching. Beckett is amazing there is no question about that. I didn't think Francis did that bad of a job. He only let in 4 runs, granted against a guy like Beckett that is too many. Morales let them blow it wide open on him. The defense actually played fairly solid I thought. It is tough when the opposing team is getting so many good base hits in the gaps, that falls on the pitching and not the defense. The offense needs to show up though. Even if you are playing against a guy like Beckett, one run just isn't going to cut it. The Rockies did seem to knock off some of the rust and really started playing much better towards the end of the game though. They really only had two or three really bad innings there. I expect game 2 will be much better than the first one.
"This is the way."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2007, 01:50 AM »
Looks like that 8-day layoff killed the Rockies' momentum, while the ass-whooping of Cleveland restored the Red Sox confidence.

Congrats to the Sox and their fans (except Mikey and the rest of his pink hats), my condolences to the Rockies fans.   :'(

ps.
Did I hear right - during the broadcast, it sounded like they were saying that Boras said that A-Rod is opting out of his contract.   ???
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2007, 04:10 AM »
The Red Sox are the new Yankees.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Boston Red Sox - World Series Champions!! (I waited three long years to write that  :P).

Even though it was a sweep, the Rockies didn't give up and you have to respect that.  Other than the Game 1 thumping, the other games were tense, excitement filled games.  Ryan and Matt, you have a good young team who should be competing for years.  Congrats to a great season.

Congrats to the Sox and their fans (except Mikey and the rest of his pink hats),

I'm buying a new one soon, one can never have enough pink hats. Have to catch up on my sleep first.

Seriously though, I do need to go T-shirt shopping.  Wouldn't mind having the official WS champions hat, either.  I'm going to wait a few days, the stores are going to be absolutely mobbed today.

ps.
Did I hear right - during the broadcast, it sounded like they were saying that Boras said that A-Rod is opting out of his contract.   ???

Way to wait until after the World Series before announcing your intentions, ****head.  The ******bag always has to be in the spotlight.  What a joke.  I really, really, really hope the Sox don't sign him.  Great player, yes, but the baggage (not to mention the insane price tag) just isn't worth it.  I'd love to see Mikey Lowell come back for a few more years, but you know his price tag just went through the roof with the season and post season he just had.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Yeah, the gang on Baseball Tonight ripped A-Rod pretty good for making his announcement then of all days and trying to steal some of the spotlight.  Peter Gammons pointed out that it's a pretty good indicator of what you can expect from A-Rod if you sign him - A-Rod first, team second.   :P

I'd love to see Mikey Lowell come back for a few more years, but you know his price tag just went through the roof with the season and post season he just had.

Yeah, that WS MVP trophy is a pretty good way to send yourself into free agency.  I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers on the table.  It would be nice to see Boston keep him, but I guess I won't be surprised to see him go and maybe end up as A-Rod's replacement at 3rd in NY.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Yeah, the gang on Baseball Tonight ripped A-Rod pretty good for making his announcement then of all days and trying to steal some of the spotlight.  Peter Gammons pointed out that it's a pretty good indicator of what you can expect from A-Rod if you sign him - A-Rod first, team second.   :P

I'd like to see A-Rod play WR2 on the Cowboys opposite TO and let them fight over the spotlight.  That'd be fun.

Yeah, that WS MVP trophy is a pretty good way to send yourself into free agency.  I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers on the table.  It would be nice to see Boston keep him, but I guess I won't be surprised to see him go and maybe end up as A-Rod's replacement at 3rd in NY.  :-X

There is no replacement for A-Rod at 3rd base.  Period.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2007, 12:56 PM »
It'd be cool if the Cubs snagged him.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2007, 07:52 PM »
It'd be cool if the Cubs snagged him.

Letting him go with no counter offer is setting a place at the table for Johan Santana, I feel it in my bones.  We won 4 championships in 5 years with pitching, time to get back to that.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 9, 2007, 04:15 PM »
In ho-hum news, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays officially changed their nickname from Devil Rays to Rays, as well as redoing their uniforms and color scheme. Personally, I much prefer the sound of Tampa Bay Devil Rays rather than Tampa Bay Rays. It sounds a lot like Tampa Bayrays. Just doesn't sound poetic enough. However, considering their on-field product, maybe it's fitting.

But maybe I'm thinking about it too much.

In other news, Giants resigned Vizquel to a one-year deal.  ::)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2007, 05:25 PM »
ARod.  Yankee once again.  You heard it here first.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2007, 11:55 AM »
The dismantling of the Twins begins in earnest: bye bye Hunter.  I think I read that Santana turned down 19 million per season (that's what a 5 year extension amounted to) ::)  Because who could raise a family on 19 million dollars a year? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2007, 12:20 PM »
The dismantling of the Twins begins in earnest: bye bye Hunter.  I think I read that Santana turned down 19 million per season (that's what a 5 year extension amounted to) ::)  Because who could raise a family on 19 million dollars a year? 

I'd be shocked if Santana doesn't get $25 - 28 million/year when he signs with the Yankees next year.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Johan, baby.

It's heating up.